Trip Report: A Caribbean Diver's First Time California Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoyKoi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last week this thin-blooded Florida/Caribbean diver got her first taste of diving Catalina-style. Catalina Island rivals anything I’ve seen in Florida or the Caribbean! Catalina is an underwater paradise full of enchanted cathedrals of 40-50 foot tall kelp forests with colorful Garabaldi’s flitting from one kelp stand to the next. Diving there is a magical experience. For one brief captivating moment I was even nose-to-nose with an inquisitive sea lion. Sure the water is a bit chilly (61 – 64 F), but the clarity, the topography and abundance of flora and fauna are stunningly beautiful. The seas were nearly flat and if we encountered any current, it was very mild. I did 5 dives in the few days I was there (2 shore, 3 boat), each dive averaging about 40 minutes. My 7mil Henderson hyperstretch didn’t quite keep me warm enough to be really comfortable until I borrowed a sleeveless 3mil shorty and wore it under my full suit. The Henderson suit stretched comfortably over it and I didn’t feel restricted at all. I was so nice and toasty then, the chilly California waters felt like the warm Caribbean.

We had wonderful accommodations at the Pavilion Hotel and dove with SCUBA Luv, right around the corner from the hotel, for our boat excursion. The dive boat and all the shore diving is an easy walk from the hotel. Avalon is only a mile square and everything is within walking distance. SCUBA Luv did a good job for us: a big, full-kitchen boat with continental breakfast in the morning, snacks between dives #1 and #2 in the morning, a lunch buffet after dive #2 and cookies and sodas after dive #3. The ride to the dive sites was under an hour. The dive briefings were thorough and informative. The DM, Chris, didn’t set any time limit on our dives. He just turned us loose and stayed on the boat with Bob Kennedy, the captain, as surface support. The boat has a compressor onboard so we didn’t have to change out our tanks, the crew just refilled them before each dive. There are lots of wonderful places to eat in Avalon, shopping, a movie theater and miniature golf course. There are all sizes of boats for rent, kayaks and bicycles, too. Plus enough hiking trails on the island to satisfy a month of surface intervals.

I'm already planning a return trip! See you there!!

Glad you had fun!

Thanks for posting your impressions.

Christian

It's always fun to hear how a diver new to our local kelp forests reacts when they first dive the waters of "my" island. It helps me realize how blessed I am to have lived and dived here for the past 36 years. Of course I get the warm fuzzies when I dive a new coral reef region, too! Especially if it is winter here in the kelp! Thanks for sharing.

Wow, nice write up. I enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you.

Makes me want to move to California. Oh wait! I already live here...

CoyKoi,

Thanks for the great report! You just reminded me how great we have it here. And, you talked me into spending a week this summer diving Catalina. Thanks!

John

to this day i have not made it out to catalina, however id really like to though :)

That was warm come to Monterey next time and try the 49 -55 degree water. Had it warm one day this summer at 59. Glad you liked it. The cold keeps the crowds away.

Back
Top Bottom