Trip Report: Bonaire 11/8-17 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Executive Summary:
Bonaire diving: Recommended. Really.
Captain Don's Habitat (CDH): Recommended.
Fluorescence Night Dive with BonPhoto: Recommended to try at least once.

Overview

My wife and I made our fifth visit to Bonaire last month, staying at Captain Don's again as we had for the previous four. Weather was generally good, a couple of very light sprinkles, and some clouds along with some sun.

Arrived Thursday evening, left Saturday morning after a no-dive day on Friday. We did 17 dives over seven days, including six boat trips, a shore dive at Angel City, and the rest on the CDH house reef, including three night or twilight dives. And I passed the 200 dive mark. As in 2008, my sister and brother in law were along this trip, joining us Saturday on the Houston redeye schedule. Their room wasn't available until early afternoon, so they napped in our room while we did our morning dive, then joined us for our second. All we need is each other, but another couple along does make things more interesting.

I hadn't realized it when we booked in April, but our stay was the week of the DEMA show in Las Vegas, and several of the more experienced dive staff were attending that, promoting CDH and BonPhoto. The big boat that Buddy Dive uses for the National Park trip is under repair, and together with the reduced staff at CDH, which now runs a two-tank trip up north, this had the unexpected effect of eliminating both the National Park boat trip, and the Salt Pier, as diving options for us.

My report for our previous trips in December 2008 and October 2010 are here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/264815-trip-report-bonaire-12-2-12-12-08-a.html.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/359575-trip-report-bonaire-10-19-28-2010-a.html
While having read these isn't assumed here, I'll try not to duplicate any of the information reported there except for some really important stuff, so Bonaire newbies looking for planning information might find them an instructive read.

Once again our Bonaire trip segued into a visit to my wife's family near Orlando, so we were gone for three weeks, and I only had my iPod Touch with me for email and web; that's why this report is a little slow showing up.

Diving

My computer recorded all bottom temperatures as 84 degF, or 86 twice. My wife's usually reports slightly lower, she had mostly 82's. Visibility was mostly 40-50 feet. The fish were mostly the usual suspects. Seemed like more rock hinds and spotted morays, and fewer green morays than I remember. But not a single lionfish. The DMs say they're still around, but they're killed vigilantly at the regular scuba sites, and I guess it's working in that regard. No midnight parrots, one of my favorites. There was an octopus seen by most, including my sister and BIL on one of the boat dives, but we missed it.

At Angel City, the largest group of blue tang I've ever seen. My wife and I tried to count them, and comparing notes after the dive, we agreed it was more than 200 individuals. But because of the difficulty and precariousness of the shore entry, we didn't bring the camera on that dive, so no pics.

A pretty large grouper hanging out near the CDH dock, once under the small wreck at 40 ft just south, and again being groomed by shrimp at a cleaning station.

My wife has decided that the camera is fun but gets in the way of enjoying the experience of diving, so she had me carry it about half the time, and sometimes we left it in the room. I'm not usually a photographer, I'll try to get anything unusual if I remember I have it. But I found myself mostly doing video; the motion captures the experience better, I think. And I got a pretty good one of a classic cliche, a swimming flounder dropping onto a coral head and disappearing.

CDH Dive operation

The CDH dive staff was again mostly unchanged from our last visits two and four years ago. Leo Hoogenboom, our AOW instructor in 2008, has left the staff to work full time with his wife Suze at BonPhoto, which rents a building on the road at CDH, and serves both as the CDH photo shop and a freestanding photo and tour shop. More on that below in the fluorescence dive description. The dive operation from a guest perspective is essentially unchanged.

The CDH nitrox setup is changed, they now have their own oxygen separator rather than buying O2 tanks from Curacao, so the cost has been cut in half, to $10/day for unlimited nitrox. They still do partial-pressure blending, but seem to have a little better process control; my tanks ranged from 31-34%. It's all nominally 32%. Other than that, the user experience is the same.

On Tuesdays, BonPhoto sends a videographer on one of the boat dives, capturing the divers and wildlife. We were on that trip, to a site called 18th Palm. The videographer happened to be LeAnn, who also led the fluo dive that night. They showed the video at the bar Thursday night along with the photo contest winners, and we liked it well enough to buy a DVD. Nicely packaged up with some stock footage of the resort, it's handy to show relatives and friends what our trip was like.

Fluorescence Night Dive with BonPhoto / Flow

I'd contacted Leo a couple of months in advance of our trip, so I knew he'd be at DEMA promoting BonPhoto and Flow, although we got to say hello Friday before he left. He said that they were doing well, offering a number of services besides photo and video that CDH does not, including freediving training, caving, and biking, and something new, fluorescence night diving. I'd heard of it and thought it would be interesting, so the four of us signed up to do this one night. Leo wasn't there, but LeAnn Marie, who led the trip, has been doing this for over a year, and seemed very competent and knowledgable. There was another couple filling out the max of 6 divers, but the woman thumbed it as we were gearing up, so we just had five plus LeAnn.

The gear is made by Nightsea NIGHTSEA It consists of a small blue dive light with lots of UV to stimulate the fluorescence, and a plastic yellow filter visor on an elastic band worn over the dive mask to block the reflected blue, so you mostly see only the fluorescence. See the BlueStar package on the Nightsea site for details. BonPhoto charged $50 per person, which seems quite reasonable for a short slide orientation in their shop, a DM guided night dive, plus the equipment rental. The dive was done on the CDH house reef, so the site was very familiar to us, but it's offered to non-CDH guests as well.

It really is quite startling to see this effect. There are some pictures on the Flow website (see below) and more on the Nightsea site. Most of what fluoresces is coral. Not all of the reef hardscape fluoresces, maybe less than 5%, so that makes the ones that do seem more special. Vivid yellows, reds, blues and greens, in various multicolor patterns. Sometimes just a little spot in the sand glowing bright yellow.

We saw only a few animate fluorescing creatures: Little fire worms from maybe half an inch to three inches, which would otherwise be effectively invisible. Trunkfish glow a pale purple, with the spotted pattern visible. And most startling, gold-spotted or sharp-tail eels glow a vivid yellow, with the spot pattern non-fluorescing, as they forage across the sand poking into holes in the reef.

The downside of this is that for anything that doesn't fluoresce, it's like night diving with dark glasses, or no divelight. This was not quite as much of a problem once we got to 30-40 feet and out of the silting near the pier, but the first few minutes after entry I couldn't find my wife/buddy, confused some random diver with LeAnn because of the tank strobe, and was getting ready to surface and try to reorganize. We should have been instructed to leave the visors around our neck until reaching depth. Even then, it was pretty marginal identifying the other divers. My yellow Mares fins apparently fluoresce a bit, so my wife could find me. Her Miflex octo hose fluoresces yellow, and she has little ribbons on her fins that fluoresce purple, so I could ID her pretty well. LeAnn had a tank strobe. I got in the habit of peeking around the visor when I wasn't sure.

Talking about it later, it would really help if part of the package was something like different color fluorescing hair scrunchies we could wear around our ankles or knees so we could see and ID each other. Or bring some and leave them.

The resident 6-foot tarpons that we're used to having along on CDH house reef night dives, hunting with our lights, seemed quite happy to use our blue ones. They weren't wearing visors. But they don't fluoresce, so they were almost invisible until they were right next to us. If I wasn't used to them, it might have been a little scary.

Nightsea makes bungie-mount filters for cameras (as well as some higher-end fluo photo gear) and I'd asked Leo about that, but they didn't currently have them for rent. He said the lights we'd be using weren't powerful enough to show up in photos through the filters.That seems plausible, although I'd have liked to try. Backscatter has them for $50, maybe a bit extravagant for one use, but I thought about it. But LeAnn said that Leo was bringing some unspecified fluo photo gear back from his DEMA trip. Maybe if we do this again on our next Bonaire trip, we'll be able to take pictures.

All in all, I don't think I'm likely to become a fluo diving addict, but it was pretty special, and I could see doing it again on a future dive trip.

BonPhoto is just in the process of spinning off the non-photo/video aspects of their business into a separate company, Flow, located in the same building on the road just north of the CDH entrance. Having freediving, caving, fluo diving etc. offered by a photo shop was confusing the customers, so they're fixing that. The websites are BonPhoto Bonaire and flowbonaireHome » flowbonaire

Accommodations - CDH

We did get our first choice of room, the new junior suite, which was just opening for rental the week after our last trip in 2010. However, that took a cancellation by someone in a big tour group that had apparently locked up all 12 units before we booked in April. The Maduro agent we dealt with diid a fine job of following that and making the waitlist upgrade happen. We liked this room very much, big enough to spread out without being more than we need. King bed, plenty of pillows, sitting area with coffee table and convertible couch (don't know about linens for it), Table/desk with a flat-screen TV we didn't use. Well-enough lit. Enough closet/shelf space. A well-bolted electronic combination safe big enough for any laptop. Hot water was plentiful and unlike past stays at CDH, well-controlled. A fairly private balcony in our 2nd-floor unit with hanger rack for wetsuits, two plastic pool loungers, two chairs, and a small table.

A small kitchenette area with an under-counter fridge, microwave and coffee maker, and small sink. Cabinets above had a very small selection of plates , glasses and silverware, no sharp knife. The tiny freezer badly needed defrosting, but had room for a tray of ice cubes.
We used the coffee maker carafe for ice water.

The breaker to the microwave tripped a couple of times, don't know why, but it was in our room, so no big deal. The tile floors were very slippery when wet, and I had a slip that left me prone while getting out of my booties on the landing after a morning dive, This made me a little nervous about the steep curved stairs, with the same tile, with a railing you can't really get a grip on. Might make me prefer a ground-floor unit.

There was a large (maybe 8" cubed) wall mounted transformer next to the microwave, for 220V for euro guests. It was plugged in and quite warm when we arrived, so I just unplugged it. My sister was in a similar room downstairs, which didn't have one of these. The AC was more than enough to make it colder than we wanted, but easy to control.

WiFi worked fine and with reasonable speed in our room and at the restaurant and bar area.

Food and Dining

Breakfasts were the buffet at CDH, not noticeably changed much from two years ago.

Lunches were either cold-cut sandwiches or dinner leftovers, and instant coffee I had brought along. As usual, I had also brought along a small collection of fast food condiment packets, to avoid paying Bonaire prices for a jar of mustard or mayo or salt we'll use a few spoons of. And apples and celery, our go-to low-prep veggies for hotel living.

We shopped at Top Supermarket, where Cultimara used to be downtown, and which doesn't seem to be changed much, and Warehouse supermarket. On our no-fly day we discovered the new Van den Tweel Supermarket, located about half a mile east of the Warehouse. Wow. Googling around after we got back, this is apparently an offshoot of a major Dutch supermarket chain, and it was clean, brightly lit, and the produce, meat, cheese, bakery, grocery, etc. selections just blow away the competition. Might be a little pricier, but I'm 100% sure we'll start there next trip.

For dinners we indulged in several of the nice restaurants on Bonaire:

Casablanca Argentine grill: We ate there twice, once Friday night because we weren't sure my sister would be interested, and then midweek when they were. We had the mixed grill for two as always. It really saddens me to say that it just isn't as good as it was, the meat was tougher, and the cuts different, no short ribs for one. And particularly the second time, it was overcooked, as if it had been reheated too many times. And the salad bar is just slightly poorer; greens with a few token pieces of tomato, slaw, a pasta salad, and hardboiled egg. More protein and carbs and fewer veggies is not what their salad bar needs.

Still a good value wrt quantity, and we ate most of the leftovers for lunches, but I've always looked forward to this on our Bonaire trips, and now, not so much. We'll probably try them again next trip, everyone's entitled to an off year. But I guess nothing lasts forever.

BobbeJan's BBQ: Tasty simple grilled meat choices, although a limited menu. My wife made the mistake of ordering their fish, and it was overcooked. Not their strong suit. The fries were very good, although not the transcendent gems I remember from last trip.

Unbelievable: By a slight margin, the best meal we had. Pricey. We ate there twice as well; on the last Friday we wanted to try a well-reviewed new place, At Sea, but we didn't have a reservation and they could only seat us inside. So we walked a block east and ate at Unbelievable again, with no regrets. The first time I had the seafood mixed grill I remember from last trip; a couple of shrimp, three scallops, a half cup of calamari, and a wahoo filet in a nice garlic sauce, with a baked potato and veggies. it was all delicious. Second time, just for variation, I had a seafood pasta. Good, but the mixed grill is the best thing on the menu.

Of the eight meals there, I think we had four mixed seafood grills, a fish & shrimp combo, one steak, and two seafood pastas. Not a real disappointment in the bunch. And the first night, we split a couple of desserts, a key lime pie and something else almost as good. But the bread is still a weakness. Both times we ate on the rooftop patio overlooking Kleine Bonaire, very nice.

Pasa Bon Pizza: We split a large fish & artichoke pizza, their specialty. Very good, and now they're making it out of lionfish. That's what the sign said, and the owner confirmed it. Not that I can tell, but it was tasty enough. But be sure to use bugspray before going, especially on your legs and ankles.

It Rains Fishes. Very close second to Unbelievable, and about as pricey For variety, I had a fish in creole sauce, which was good, but a little boring compared to the three-fish plate, one of which was barracuda, that two of our party had. The fries were very good, better than Bobbejans' this trip. And very nice bread.

Rum Runner's, the restaurant at CDH, the night of the fluo dive. I had the fish and veggie wrap I remembered as pretty good last trip. I was less impressed this time, as were my companions with their dinners. Pretty good fries.

We also had ice cream at Lover's, at the traffic circle, as good as I remembered. Gelato at Gio's, downtown, OK but not as good IMO. And an unmemorable lunch at City Cafe downtown, except for the funchii, cubes of fried polenta, very tasty.

Travel & Odds & Ends

I believe Maduro is the exclusive NA agent for CDH. We've used them before, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. They set up our CDH package just as we requested, including following up on the suite waitlist, as mentioned above. We also had them book our Miami/Bonaire air, and an AB Carrental truck. It all went fairly smoothly.

We prefer to avoid the weekend rush and wanted to stay a little over a week, so we flew to to Bonaire midweek. We flew to Miami and stayed overnight, then flew to Bonaire on Insel via Curacao. The Bonaire/Curacao flight is just 25 minutes, in a ~20 seat dual turboprop Embraer 110. But this time, we took the Insel Saturday return (about 11:00 AM) direct to Miami, on a larger MD80.

Our Curacao/Bonaire flight was cancelled for mechanical problems, so we were put on a later flight, adding about three hours in Curacao. Insel gave us a voucher for a meal, but there wasn't much open to choose from, so dinner was shrink-wrapped sandwiches and a bag of chips. We were surprised to find a taxi driver still waiting at the Bonaire airport with my name on a placard, sent by ABCarrental as expected. But they were closed, so he took us straight to CDH, getting in about 10:00 PM. ABCarrental came and picked us up the next morning, very promptly after we had the desk call them. They are now located across the street from Warehouse Supermarket.

After it ran flawlessly all week including that morning leaving CDH, we returned the truck on our way out, and they were going to drive us the mile or so to the airport in it. But it wouldn't start, seemed like a dead battery. I had not left the lights on. So they took us and our luggage in a van, only about 5 minutes lost, and we were early. But if it had died trying to leave CDH ... Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

The luggage allowance on the Insel Curacao/Bonaire puddle jumper is one 20 kg (44 lb) bag plus a 10 kg (22 lb) carryon, with a $5 per kg excess charge. Ouch! But buried in the fine print is an extra 10 kg allowance for scuba gear. See Baggage Information about halfway down. We had to ask for it. It wasn't in a separate bag, but they let my wife's 11 kg carryon slide, and just piled all the rest of our bags together and we were under 60 kg, so no excess charge. Maybe she cut us some slack because of the delayed flight. And on the Insel MD80 return to Miami, still only 44 lbs per piece, but two checked bags free.

But the experience has us considering a different approach to our next Bonaire trip. We've been avoiding the redeyes because one short week isn't quite enough, and I don't like diving jet-lagged. But it takes us two long days to fly to Bonaire, including an overnight in Miami that costs about as much as a non-diving day at CDH. Maybe next time we'll do a redeye schedule over two weeks, with no diving on the arrival Saturday, and maybe a couple more no-dive days mixed in over the two weeks, to rest up. Maybe 10 days of diving. Skip Curacao, and Miami at least on the trip in. It would cost a little more, but might be more fun and less travel fatigue. We need to think this one over.

The exit fee at Bonaire is now fully gone, or more precisely, included in your ticket. The kiosk at the airport has been repurposed. One less thing to deal with.

CDH no longer has their registration and dive release forms available as PDFs on their website, but there's a note that they will send them if requested, which we did, and I continue to recommend that. Use them. It's a long, tiring trip and it's nice not to be filling out forms with C-card and emergency contact info when you check in. Especially at 10 PM after a day in airports and planes.

The nitrox release still wasn't sent, though. I asked Roger, the dive shop manager, about it at the briefing Friday before he left for DEMA. It's because it's part of the tech diving release, and they want tighter control of that. But nitrox use is becoming so common, especially with their lower prices, that he intends to add it to the standard dive release. We'll see how long that takes ...

On our no-fly day Friday, we went to the Butterfly garden east of the airport for lunch and an hour or so looking at the butterflies. Welcome Moderately pleasant, nothing I'd say you have to see, especially at $12 each, but it was a nice quiet afternoon seeing a part of Bonaire we hadn't seen before, especially the dirt roads we got lost on after missing a turn east of Kralendijk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom