Trip Report--Christmas in Bonaire and the Belmar Oceanfront Apartments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorrows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally getting around to this...

This was our fifth trip--always for Christmas--in Bonaire. Previously, we've stayed at the Sand Dollar, Caribbean Club, and Buddy's. This time we stayed at the Belmar Oceanfront Apartments.

First off, we had a lovely first-floor two-bedroom corner apartment with an fully equipped kitchen and outstanding view—the water was literally right off our porch. The apartment was nice, large, and comfy, except for the bad lighting which seems to be the usual complaint in these resorts. (Reading in bed or in the living room is particularly difficult.) Only the bedrooms are air-conditioned, so the living room does get stuffy; flies and mosquitoes will get in if you leave the porch doors open as there is no screen. Iguanas and birds are frequent visitors to the porch. And did I mention the view?

There is a very affable security guard during the evening, and he does his appointed rounds hourly. I know this because I was up one night—insomnia--sitting at the kitchen table and reading, and saw him walk by.

There is wifi in the apartments, but access is spotty. I can count on one hand the number of times we were actually able to connect. I don’t care so much about that—on vacation, I really like to unplug from all the electronics, and we didn’t even turn on the provided television—but not everybody feels this way, I know.

Maid service is supposedly every other day, but we actually only had it twice during the week we were there--the towel situation got a bit dire towards the end. The office staff is very helpful, but the office itself closes promptly at 5 p.m., which can be inconvenient if you have questions or problems or just need some new beach towels.

Although our apartment was ready when we arrived early in the morning, we couldn't get our truck until after 3 p.m. and there is no place to get food within walking distance. We had to pay for a $25 taxi to go get some lunch, and obviously we were also stuck at the apartment until the late afternoon. It was not a great start to our vacation.

We dove the house reef twice--once in the daytime for our check-out and once in the evening. I’m sorry to report that both times were very disappointing. Certainly it cannot compare to house reefs like Bari or Buddy's. I think it is among the worst reef I've encountered in Bonaire, and I've been to nearly all of them. It is convenient, however--nice dock and ladder—with a comfortable place to sunbathe or use the small pool. The Belmar is also close to the Southern sites, of course. We had decided to focus on the Southern sites this trip, so that made the Belmar an attractive property—and the fact that Belmar guests still had access to the drive-through at Buddy’s.

We didn't do any boat dives--we come to Bonaire to shore dive--but the little contact we had with the dive staff was pleasant. We brought our equipment back to our first-floor room each night--they like to reserve the (small) dive locker for those on the 2nd floor. I can imagine it would be a hassle to haul your gear up and down the stairs.

This is a small place, with a lovely and relaxed vibe, but I don't think we'll be going back. The house reef is too important--particularly if you enjoy night dives, as we do--and the house reef at Belmar, in our opinion, just isn't very good.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

Now about the diving.... We had great weather—fabulous diving conditions—except the water was colder than I ever remember. I was hearing “78” but it definitely felt colder. And I wasn’t the only one remarking on the chilly water temps.

We think there are fewer fish now in Bonaire than there were in earlier years, but I have no idea if that is an accurate assessment. There may be fewer fish (still finding too many lionfish!) and maybe the corals aren’t what they were 20 years ago—who knows?-- but there is still plenty to see and experience and we still love Bonaire.

Some stand-out dives:

Karpata: Conditions were close to perfect for entry and exit and visibility was absolutely amazing. This is such a gorgeous dive, even if we have NEVER been able to find any of the three anchors!

Candyland: Aptly named and some generous divers have further embellished the marker so it’s near impossible not to find it. Outstanding dive and very much worth the trouble!

Buddy’s: We did two night dives at Buddy’s. Very happy to see they have fixed their dock and even happier to see the orange cup coral making a big comeback (I’d seen it last two years ago.) The tarpon and the mutton snappers were out in full force, using our lights to help them hunt. On the other end of the spectrum, I found a group of cryptic teardrop crabs on a purple sponge. Gorgeous! How do they decorate themselves with sponge, I wonder? How do they know to use red sponge? At what age do they start decorating? How do they know when to start and how to do it? Has anyone (human) ever seen the process?

Oil Slick Leap: This is a fun dive—we did it twice! Saw a Spotted Eagle Ray here. Best of all, IMHO, is the colony of red-lipped blennies that lives on the rocks by the stairs. Notice that the really large and fat ones live towards the top where the current is rougher and (I presume) brings in more food for them. Go down a bit and see that the smaller red-lipped blennies occupy less advantageous territory. Fascinating! Just as it is described in Humann/DeLoach’s Fish Behavior book!

Windsock: We went looking for the three frogfish that live there. (found one!) We were also there on Boxing Day when the pier was open and there were lots of families enjoying the day. Unfortunately, there were also kids fishing off the pier. I didn’t know this. I found a line and, thinking it was yet another discarded line, pulled it off the coral. It was, of course, active and I ended up getting the hook in my thumb. Ouch! A few scary moments—I even lost my reg for a couple of seconds—until I could get free. So...stay away from the pier when it's open.

Something Special: Awesome night dive, as always. I was using my light to try to find anemone shrimp and a Pederson came flying out and “attacked” it. Weird.

Alice in Wonderland: This is one of the double reef Southern sites, but with a very easy entrance and exit. Saw a huge school of Boga on the second reef—with barracuda and bar jacks looking for an easy meal.

1,000 Steps: I appreciate some time on the stair master after all that gelato at Gio’s! The only place we saw a turtle during our week; also a very large grouper, several schools, and a Goldentail.

Last edited:
cryptic teardrop crab cropped.jpgblack frogfish.jpgbelly of the eagle.jpggoldentail.jpg

boga school.jpg

For overall value and experience, how would you compare the places you've been? I ask because it might be useful to people. I've stayed at Buddy Dive x 2, Eden Beach Resort (prior to the new owners) x 4 & Dive Hut x 1. So you've been places I haven't.

Richard.

We ate breakfast and lunch at our apartment--the fully-equipped kitchen and a visit to the modern supermarket Van den Tweel! We did a night dive every night but Christmas Eve, so we ended up eating dinner pretty late. Here are some of the new/new-to-us places we tried:

Roomer’s: This is a small hotel/restaurant across from the Belmar (not open for lunch) and the only restaurant within walking distance. We actually ate there three times in one week—once they were kind enough to stay open past their 9 pm closing so they could feed four very hungry divers. This is a nice place, and I think we have found the perfect after-dive food: Roti. Love, love, love it!

Ingridients: I was really looking forward to eating here—I remember it well from when it was the Lion’s Den. Gorgeous view and the people were very nice. But…over-priced, even by Bonairean standards, small portions, even by European standards, and…honestly, pretty bland. Sad and very disappointing.

Sonia Home: This is a new restaurant, near Buddy's, so not downtown or on the waterfront like so many other nice restaurants. We went there after finding another restaurant closed. Although it was Boxing Day and close to 10 pm and the restaurant was filled with large local groups—including the priest we had met at Christmas Eve Mass!—they seated us immediately. Were very clear that they could only provide one of the Holiday menus—3 courses for $35 and 4 courses for $45. It was all excellent and delicious—from the focaccia to the scrumptious dessert. Would definitely go back and would love to try the regular menu.

Rose Garden Inn: This is a local place, ideal for lunch if you find yourself in Rincon. We went there on our way to Slagbaai National Park. Goat stew with platanos and beans and rice; also a polenta thing and a local delicacy called tutu. (sp?) Not cheap and make sure you aren’t in a hurry.

Last but not least, we made several stops (not enough) at Gio’s for the spectacular gelato! Sadly, they close at 10 p.m.

Last edited:
For overall value and experience, how would you compare the places you've been? I ask because it might be useful to people. I've stayed at Buddy Dive x 2, Eden Beach Resort (prior to the new owners) x 4 & Dive Hut x 1. So you've been places I haven't.

Richard.

Richard, do you mean the Caribbean? Because I've only been to the tropical Pacific twice--Palau and Lembeh. If I could, I'd go back to Indonesia every year. But...we have to live in the real world...

Anyway, I think Bonaire has an awful lot to recommend it. The shore diving experience there is truly unique in the world, isn't it? Shore diving freedom! (And you don't have to pay for boat dives!) It's a fishy place, by Caribbean standards, and nice coral, too; it's not a particularly pretty island, but it has a nice vibe and there are good places to eat. You also have to consider the reliable weather; I don't know of another Caribbean diving mecca which has such reliable weather. You don't have to worry so much about hurricanes in the summer months and you don't have to worry about sitting around in the winter, wishing the boats could go out. I've had that experience way too often; have never missed a day of diving in Bonaire because of weather.

I just wish it were easier to get to--like Cozumel!

Attachments

• cropped juv filefish.jpg
    cropped juv filefish.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 336
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful trip report! While Cozumel is my favorite place to dive, I avoid visiting during the mid winter months. Too many dives missed due to rough weather. Your report is making me even more excited about our Feb visit to the island. I have heard great things about Candy Land and Tailor Made. Hopefully will get to those sites this trip.

We were on island the same time as Sorrows and stayed at Caribbean Club. We really enjoyed the quiet location even though it is not right on the water. Their house reef is Oil Slick and as mentioned is a nice dive with super easy entry and exit. It may be the house reef but you want to drive your gear the one block to it. I love 1000 steps and the fact that it is just minutes away was really nice. The staff at CC was terrific and the breakfasts were tasty. We either at at there or in the room other than we splurged at KFC. :wink: I have done Divi once, Buddy twice and now CCB. CCB is my favorite so far. All of the convenience of Buddy but without the big resort feel. Others there that I spoke with felt the same way. We did a couple of dives at Buddy as that is as easy as it gets and you have the same access as their guests to tanks etc.

The 'house reef' concept is a bit different with them. At Buddy Dive, there's a pier with a couple of ladders you can walk down into (& back out of) the water by at the back edge of the property. As you mentioned, from Caribbean Club, Oil Slick Leap isn't adjacent to the property; it's a walk (or very short drive).

That said, while I haven't stayed at Caribbean Club Resort, I've dove Oil Slick Leap a number of times and it's one of the consistently best dive sites on Bonaire in my limited experience.

1,000 Steps is also quite good, but going up & down the 60 something steps makes me 'feel the burn.'

One thing about location; Caribbean Club Resort is well north of Kralendijk, the capital, and thus close to the northern dive sites but of course far from the southern. Bonaire's not a huge island, but people who eat out a lot often eat in Kralendijk restaurants for supper. Something to be aware of.

When I looked into Caribbean Club Resort last year and compared it to Buddy Dive Resort, my overall understanding was that it was a little cheaper, a smaller resort, a good clip north and thus not as centrally located. But obviously a number of people like it.

You're making me miss Bonaire!

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom