Trip Report - Fiesta Americana & Blue XT Sea Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
Hi Michael,

I would e-mail you, but my e-mail server is down for maintenance for a couple hours.

I am also very disappointed that I didn't get to meet you after our months of e-mails. You were here during the worst four days of my flu! I am feeling alot better and getting most of my energy back, although still pretty congested and not quite ready to dive. Thank you for asking.

I owe you a t-shirt :wink: I will send it to the address I have in your file unless I hear otherwise from you.

The restaurant had to be Especias or El Moro. El Moro is way back "in the hood" and Especias is the small restaurant in town at the corner of Calle 5 and Av. 10. Adrian would have been your host. Going there tonight as a matter of fact! yummmm.....

I'll definitely make sure to meet you next time. have fun on your ski trip!

Hi Christi. Glad you're feeling better. And thank you for sending the t-shirt. I appreciate it. I plan to try El Moro next we come to Coz.

Michael

Mawg:
Great report Michael. I have been to Coz 22 times and we always eat out . I always like to hear about new places.I have been to all those places you mentioned except La Pearlita and Especias. Let me ask you if I may, a couple of questions.Which was the more expensive and which do you think had the best seafood. I LOVE the lobster in Cozumel and usually go to Primas for that but I am open to suggestions and CHRISTIE if you're listening, I'm always looking for a deal on grilled lobster. Been looking ever since Rincon Maya shut down. Thanks all.

I believe that La Pearlita might have cost a bit more. I remember that Especias was cash only and rather inexpensive. I believe that both were very reasonably priced, and both cost much less La Choza or Primas.

At La Pearlita, I ordered mixed seafood fajitas. There was lots of lobster, shrimp and fish which I believe was snapper. My wife ordered crab tacos. Both dishes were plentiful and the fresh seafood was great. And the taste. Mmmm, my mouth is watering as I remember it.

At Especias, I cannot remember what my wife ordered. I had fresh grouper. It was the best piece of fish I've had in quite a while. It was cooked in aluminum foil with seasoning and veggies.

It's hard to say which was the better seafood since the dishes were different. But they both topped the seafood dishes we had the other nights in Coz, as well as what we've had to eat in Aruba, Jamaica, Puerto Morelos, cruise ships and so on....

You shouldn't hesitate to try both places.

Michael

michaelp68:
I believe that La Pearlita might have cost a bit more. I remember that Especias was cash only and rather inexpensive. I believe that both were very reasonably priced, and both cost much less La Choza or Primas.

At La Pearlita, I ordered mixed seafood fajitas. There was lots of lobster, shrimp and fish which I believe was snapper. My wife ordered crab tacos. Both dishes were plentiful and the fresh seafood was great. And the taste. Mmmm, my mouth is watering as I remember it.

At Especias, I cannot remember what my wife ordered. I had fresh grouper. It was the best piece of fish I've had in quite a while. It was cooked in aluminum foil with seasoning and veggies.

It's hard to say which was the better seafood since the dishes were different. But they both topped the seafood dishes we had the other nights in Coz, as well as what we've had to eat in Aruba, Jamaica, Puerto Morelos, cruise ships and so on....

You shouldn't hesitate to try both places.

Michael

Really good info. Thanks guy.

michaelp68:

Mike, I think I had the same thing you had! The fish sure goes great with a bottle of Dos Equis. Did you try their handmade empanadas that cost 10p each? A few of those are enough for a meal in itself.

lawofgravity:
Mike, I think I had the same thing you had! The fish sure goes great with a bottle of Dos Equis. Did you try their handmade empanadas that cost 10p each? A few of those are enough for a meal in itself.

I didn't order a beer with that dinner, but my wife ordered a Dos Equis. And yes, my fish went great with her Dos Equis. I think I drank most of it.

We ordered a couple of the handmade empanadas to sample. One was fish and the other beef. They were outstanding. I think we liked the fish one a little better. The bonus was that they were so cheap.

murphdivers286:
Has anyone stayed at the Caribe Blu (old Hotel Lorena)? I would like to know about the shore diving and rooms.
Just a suggestion, but you might get a better response if you ask this question in a new post.

Here is a link to a most excellent trip report by alcina. She stayed at Caribe blue and gives good information about it.

Hi. I am looking to do a similar trip end of April. My wife is going away with friends so thought what the heck.....Did you arrange it all separately or as a package? I suspect I will go with US Air as I have miles but I always worry about their ability to get bags in place. Did you get them soon after? Thanks.

Jay

jpomerantz:
Hi. I am looking to do a similar trip end of April. My wife is going away with friends so thought what the heck.....Did you arrange it all separately or as a package? I suspect I will go with US Air as I have miles but I always worry about their ability to get bags in place. Did you get them soon after? Thanks.

Jay

Jay, I used a local travel agent here in Connecticut to arrange for the flights and the reservation at Fiesta Americana. First, I checked options over the internet. Then, I checked with a travel agent who beat the internet prices.

As for the dive operator, Christi, I contacted her directly by e-mail. She was very helpful with initial information and advice I requested. I booked directly with her via e-mail.

My lost luggage was delivered to my hotel room late in the afternoon on our 2nd day there. So, we arrived at the Fiesta Americana property around mid-afternoon on the 1st day and my lost suitcase arrived late afternoon on the 2nd day.

On the 1st afternoon, I bought a toothbrush, a t-shirt and something to wear under my wetsuit at the small gift shop at Fiesta Americana. That carried me through until my suitcase arrived.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and don't forget to contact Christi to reserve a space as soon as possible because she books up pretty early.

Michael

Nice report. Glad you had a great time. Especias and El Moro..........either of these are great and we love La Pealita ourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom