trip report for Roatan, Utila, and Pico Bonito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
HI All,
Thanks for all the great advice. We just got back a few days ago. Here's the skinny:
Flew in on Taca to Roatan, stayed at the Inn of Last Resort for 5 days. Very happy with the staff and room. Food was very good as well as service and DMs were great too. Never had to change a tank. The first day of diving was not so good so we went to the other side to Mary's Place and the ship wreck Prince Albert. Good dives. We had a total of 6 + the dm in our group. The rest of the time we dove on the ILR side. Vis was good but dropped each day and on the last day the swell was pretty big and the vis dropped down to about 20 ft. Did see loads of grouper, turtles and a couple of eels as well as other things. Did the shark dive and loved it, got the DVD too. Also did the canopy tour. Ed, the manager of ILR drove everyone down to Foster's to watch the super bowl. Tried to get in to do the Dolphin snorkel at AKR but too many pod people had all the bookings. Ed told us at the beginning of our stay not to worry about tipping and that it could just be added on at the end and they had a tip pool with each area getting a certain amount which made things easier. He said the DM's and Boat capt were at the top of the percentage scale.
Took the ferry to La Ceiba to get to Utila
Stayed at Mango Inn in the cottage, very nice. Pretty much ate at the restaurant there which had good food and great pizza. Also ate at the BBQ place which was quite tasty and entertaining. Dove with the Utila dive center. Large groups but they were broken down into groups of 4-6. Professional staff and we were on the fast boat so we got the all the dives sites before the other 2 boats got there. We had 2 full days of diving there and were only able to hit the other side of the island for one dive, no whale sharks though they said there had been many sitings. Last dive was at a seamount, vis was about 70-80ft, loads of life, saw a huge moray out and about. Plus a spotted eagle ray. Best dive of the trip. On the way back the boat capt spotted some rough toothed dolphins and we were able to slide in quietly and swam with them. I had a good encounter with a mom and here baby for about 30 seconds before they took off. Last place to visit was the Jade Seahorse bar. Very cool place but lather on the deet because the mozis were really bad and cactus juice didn't work against them.
Took the ferry to La Ceiba and stayed at the Pico Bonito lodge for 3 days to take it easy. Rained heavy for over 24 hours and then cleared up. Did the boat ride in the reserve, no monkeys or manatees but lots of crocs and a caymen, as well as a great birding place. The food at the lodge was really good and the place is a great place to hike.
We are planning to go back in June for a week to Utila and this time try AKR. It was really handy taking a $100 in ones and also another $200 in 5's, 10's, and 20's. We will be bringing the 100% deet though and lots of it for the mozis. Cactus Juice handles the black flies very well though. Our only big dissappointment was that we had a flight booked from Roatan to La Ceiba and ended up taking the ferry because the airport was closed on the La Ceiba side. From now on we'll just stick to the ferry. Water temp for both places was 81 in Roatan and 80 in Utila.

Thanks for the report - I appreciate you taking time to share with us. We're heading to the same locations for 3-4 weeks this summer, a little more budget-minded, though.

Does anyone have any ideas for where to cheaply stay in La Ceiba? My boyfriend and I are leaving for Utila in two weeks, but we'll spend a night in La Ceiba (Saturday night) since our flight doesn't get into San Pedro Sula until the afternoon.

Thanks!

jawfish:
Great report, thanks for sharing! Did you enjoy Taca? I was replying to another post and remember Taca to be very good, so wanted an update on a more recent experience! Thanks again for the info!
Hey Jawfish,
Yes, we were very pleased, especially on the way back because we went from La Ceiba, had a plane change in San Pedro Sula and immeadietly boarded, then another quick boarding from San Salvador to L.A. and our bags made it too. I would fly with definenatly with them again

I was a bit surprised that you dove the Prince Albert. Could one of the regulars in Roatan say if many divers outside of CCV hit that site?

I don't know. The surge wasn't good on the ILR side so we went to the other side. We did see other dive groups but I don't know where they were from

When we were staying at COCO View, there was a group on a boat diving the Prince Albert. Don't know where they were from. - Any how you could tell them apart because they had numbered tags on their BC's for the check in/out system.

A couple of them followed us up the chain and could not figure out where we were going since it was not back to the boat HEE HEE !!!!

A surface swim for the non-navigationally inclined insued....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom