Trip report - Key Largo, October 25-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to set the record straight; OD lost a diver on the bibb aprox 7-8 years ago(the deceased did not follow their protocol/briefing, no penetration); joe clark and DOC, the owners, vowed their boats would never run a trip to the bibb ever again. theyve kept their word,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Thanks for all the background info, Reefman. It's always sad to hear of such tragedies, especially when a dive op's safety protocols are not followed. Divers who make decisions to not heed the advise of those with specific site safety information rarely take into account the lasting domino effect that their actions/errors/tragedy have on others from their loved ones to future access to dive sites. This happens in the cave diving community as well.

I'm a consultant and it's very frustrating to see what happens when clients don't follow your advice. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to have a client die because they chose not to listen. The legal, financial and psychological ramifications must be horrific. From my experience with OD, I can see that that losing that diver left them very focused on safety and prevention. They probably were before, but now they highlight safety in all their dealings, which I found reassuring. I am very sorry this happened to the diver, his/her loved ones and OD.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom