Trip Report - March 29 - April 2 - The Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
30 March , 2012

1. Chankanaab Reef
My first dive in Mexico. Nice, gentle and shallow. Very sandy with just a little growth. 60 minute dive time, depth 42 feet, air temp 90° F, bottom temp 80.2° F. Our group was divided into two teams, each led by a DM. Our team had seven people and was led by Santos. He must know where every lobster in Cozumel hangs out because he leads us straight to holes and signals about lobsters before he gets to the hole. We saw lobsters and very large crabs. Santos killed two lionfish and fed them to triggers and red snappers and groupers that get close as soon as he spears the lionfish. Santos kept pointing to something that looked like rusty cable sticking out of the sand. I took some photos of it but had no idea what he was so excited about. It was some sort of animal chain. Here's the photo:

DSCN1947.jpg
2. Chankanaab Balones
More structure and less sand. Lots of crabs and lobsters. Max depth 62 feet, dive time 57 minutes, air temp 93.7° F, bottom temp 80.2° F. The current was still gentle.

DSCN2001.jpg

3. Paradise Reef
An excellent reef, lots of small wildlife. Some fans had up to four Flamingo Tongues attached. One small spotted, green eel that wanted to play. Small rays, big crabs and lobsters. You could spend your entire dive just looking at the blennies and Flamingo Tongues. Remember to set your camera to Macro, I forgot so I got great photos of the fans and not so good photos of the Flamingo Tongues. Max depth 48 feet, dive time 53 minutes, air temp 84.9° F, bottom temp 80.2° F. The current was gentle.

DSCN2034.jpg

31 March, 2012

1. Palancar Gardens
Off to the races! The DM said the current was 3 - 4 knots. I can tell up to 2 knots and then it really doesn't matter because you cannot do anything except go with the current. Beautiful swim through formations that you can dip down into for some relief from the current. Max depth 67 feet, dive time 38 minutes, air temp 89.8° F, bottom temp 80.2° F.

DSCN2063.jpg

One of my favorites, the trunk fish. I've never seen so many of them.

DSCN2060.jpg
2. Tormentos Reef

With a name like that, I was expecting pain and misery but it was a good dive. Saw lots of wildlife including Trunks, Sergeant Majors and Ocean Triggers. Max depth 62 feet, dive time 57 minutes, air temp 93.7° F, bottom temp 80.2° F. The current was more than 1 knot but you could mostly swim against it for a while if you wanted to.

DSCN2078.jpg

I forgot about one of the most memorable things I've ever seen, mating turtles on the surface. They were kissing, biting and thrashing about. They ran into the dive boat a few times and we almost capsized the boat because everyone leaned over the starboard side to watch the spectacle.

mating turtle 1.jpg

3. Las Palmas Wall -> Las Palmas Shallows -> Paradise Reef
A strong current that swept us through three dive sites. I got separated from the group at the safety stop and ended up about a mile from the boat. I inflated my SMB and spent the time with my feet on the folded SMB; enjoying the view, fresh air and sunshine. It doesn't get any better than this. Beautiful coral formations, Christmas tree polyps deployed (and I didn't irritate them enough to retract), lots of colors. The DM killed two lionfish and fed them to a large lobster that came out of its hole to feed. I've never seen that before. I got to interact with another lobster who kept sweeping its antennae over my hands. Also saw a smaller turtle and a large eel. Max depth 76 feet, dive time 35 minutes, air temp 79° F, bottom temp 79.5° F.

DSCN2130.jpg

1 April, 2012

1. Paseo del Cedral Wall
A very fast current and very fun ride! There was so much to see; friendly nurse sharks, lots of trunks and Angelfish. Has to deploy the SMB again while waiting for the boat which was only about 1/2 mile away. Max depth 72 feet, dive time 39 minutes, air temp 89.4° F, bottom temp 80.2° F.

[video=youtube;ZkYlTn9aRBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkYlTn9aRBM[/video]​
2. Yucab Reef
My last dive of this trip. The current was weaker and I finally figured out that if you stopped fighting the current, you can stay down longer! I found a flounder in the sand, I usually overlook things like that. Schools of Ocean Triggers cruised by. Red snappers, trunks, lots of little fish and a Slippery Dick. Max depth 54 feet, dive time 67 minutes, air temp 89.1° F, bottom temp 80.2° F.

Attachments

• DSCN2033.jpg
    DSCN2033.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Nice report, PB! It sounds like you had a great trip with wonderful weather, lots of sealife, and currents that were fun! Love the pictures!

Uh-OH!! Now you're Hooked!!! Cozumel Crack.......You will be back!

:confined: Just Dive It!!

Thanks for your trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom