Trip report May 12-24 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveborg:
Thanks so much for the information. Was there a cost for rental or were they free except for the deposit. Where did you find the best waves? I'm thinking that the place you got the boards wasn't the best since you didn't board there.

Actually, the waves looked pretty good there. The main reason I didn't try it there was that it was early in the day at that point, and the folks I was with weren't ready to get in the water yet. We were on an around-the-island excursion where we stopped at most of the little beach clubs over there, and the first place we stopped long enough to play in the surf was Chen Rio. 4:45 found us at Playa Bonita, so I just backtracked to Sr. Iguanas to return the board while the rest of my herd finished their beers.

The rental was just a couple of bucks, I believe.

nikyyo:
It was great meeting you, your wife, and your whole family. I had a great time diving with you guys. Sorry I didn't make that night dive but after hearing the story about that other dive group maybe it was for the best. Would you believe my right hand is still bothering me? I think it's getting worse.... maybe I'll go to the doctor if it doesn't get better soon. Lets do this again some time....Paul

Likewise, it was great diving with you, too.

That hand still bothering you? Jeez, that sucks. I think that you should definitely have that looked at. I've gotten bit a few times over the years, but I never had anything give me the symptoms you had, and definitely not for as long. Let me know how it comes out, OK?

We're planning on going back in May again next year; maybe we will see ya there.

Cheers,

Could you tell me - er - us, a little bit more about the fishing? I have thought that a fishing charter would be a good way to spend the last day on the island before heading home. My buddy is much more into fishing than I am, but I thought it might be a fun way to off gas some nitrogen.

I assume that you think it is worth the time and money since you did it more than one day. Any recommendations? Anything to avoid? Can you give me an idea of the price range? Any hints / tips / comments?

Appreciate the info,

Wristshot

Wristshot:
Could you tell me - er - us, a little bit more about the fishing? I have thought that a fishing charter would be a good way to spend the last day on the island before heading home. My buddy is much more into fishing than I am, but I thought it might be a fun way to off gas some nitrogen.

I assume that you think it is worth the time and money since you did it more than one day. Any recommendations? Anything to avoid? Can you give me an idea of the price range? Any hints / tips / comments?

Appreciate the info,

Wristshot

I originally started going to Cozumel for the fishing; I added the diving later. It's definitely worth the time and money for me.

I hooked up with a boat by taking a cab to the Caleta, which is the smaller marina just north of the Presidente Hotel, at about 5:30 in the afternoon when the boats are coming in. I walked around looking at boats and chatting with the skippers and crew in my terrible Spanish and their somewhat better English, and made a deal with one of them - Carlos "Charlie Brown" Moreno on La Graaan Cosa - whom I highly recommend.

I chartered a boat for just our group; we paid $450/day + tip for the boat, which is for a full day (8-9 hours) and includes all tackle and bait, lunch, and one case of beer. Extra beer is $20/case, and a Mexican case is 20 bottles. You can go out as individuals as well, but I've never done that; last I checked, it was about $110/day/person.

Blue Angel, Papa Hog's, and Scuba Du all can hook you up with a fishing trip, too, though I've never gone that route. Most of the fishing is done across the channel, a mile or less off the mainland, though they will stay on the Cozumel side if you ask or if conditions are such that it would be too rough to cross over.

This time of year, the dorado (mahi mahi) and marlin are running, and you'll see the occasional sailfish, wahoo, and blackfin tuna. Barracuda are there year round. There's a page in the Blue Guide that will show you generally which fish are caught during what months.

Cheers,

Hey ggun:

Great report and follow-up posts. You included a lot of interesting and useful information. It sounds like you had a terrific time. I can't wait to go back in July!

Gordon

It was a pleasure to meet you while we were down there... glad we finally found a few minutes to stop and talk. It seemed both of our schedules were pretty hectic. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Gordon is quite the gentleman. He went out of his way to seek us out and introduce himself.

One of these days I'll get around to posting my trip report, since I've been back I've been going non-stop to catch up. I'm in the middle of moving right now as well!

I loved Caribe Blu and want to thank you and Christi for the recommendations. It seems that I always end up in Coz in May too so maybe we'll catch you next year!

Below are some photos (mostly underwater) from the trip... I also have a few more that will be added when I do my trip report. It's a work in progress at this point.

Moodiejeff's photos

Jeff

Moodiejeff:
Gordon

It was a pleasure to meet you while we were down there... glad we finally found a few minutes to stop and talk. It seemed both of our schedules were pretty hectic. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Gordon is quite the gentleman. He went out of his way to seek us out and introduce himself.

One of these days I'll get around to posting my trip report, since I've been back I've been going non-stop to catch up. I'm in the middle of moving right now as well!

I loved Caribe Blu and want to thank you and Christi for the recommendations. It seems that I always end up in Coz in May too so maybe we'll catch you next year!

Below are some photos (mostly underwater) from the trip... I also have a few more that will be added when I do my trip report. It's a work in progress at this point.

Moodiejeff's photos

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff; it was a pleasure to meet you and Mia as well. You have some great shots in there, my man.

We started blocking out the dates for our next year's trip before we left; it'll be about the same time - mid May. Hope to see ya there.

Cheers,

Gordon,

I couldnt agree with MoodieJeff more....you were a true gentlemen down in Cozumel with giving me some great advices for a first time down there.

it was a real pleasure meeting you and your family..and i sure hope that we get to meet again downthere sometimes.

All the best

Marc

icetime2:
Gordon,

I couldnt agree with MoodieJeff more....you were a true gentlemen down in Cozumel with giving me some great advices for a first time down there.

it was a real pleasure meeting you and your family..and i sure hope that we get to meet again downthere sometimes.

All the best

Marc

Right back at ya, Marc! We'll be back there in May '05; if you're there, maybe we can get some fishing in.

Stay warm up there in the Great White North!

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom