Trip report - N Sulawesi (KBR and Cocotino's-Manado)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As promised, here is my report from my recent trip to N Sulawesi. Seeing that my previous dive experiences had all been reefs, I wasn’t sure what I would think of muck diving. So, I split my time in Indo as 5 dive days diving the Lembeh Straight (Kungkungan Bay Resort), and 4 dive days + dry day on the other side around Manado (Cocotiono’s).

Transit-
We flew Air China IAH-PEK (14 hours), Singapore Air PEK-SIN (6 hours), then Silk Air SIN-MAN (4 hours) the next morning. I was absolutely dreading 24 hours of flights, so I used miles for 1st class tickets on the Air China and Singapore Air legs both ways… If you have Star Alliance Miles, THIS is the way to spend them… The first class seats on the Air China 777-300er are outstanding. You have your own private booth with very comfortable lay flat seats, as well as a large AVOD display. As expected, most of the movies were not in English, so bring plenty of your own entertainment. Regardless, the flight flew by much faster than I ever thought it would.
DSC_0433.jpg

As someone else noted in a previous thread, the Visa on Arrival Fee in Manado is now $35USD per person, up from $25, so be prepared for that. From there it was about a 90 minute, excitement filled drive to KBR. If you’ve never been to this part of the world, you may be better off just keeping your eyes closed. People here tend to drive like absolute maniacs. You will spend most of the time in the middle of the road or in oncoming traffic, as mopeds loaded down with three small children and full sacks of groceries whiz by you in close enough range that you could reach out the window and high five their faces. The only rule of the road appears to be that there are no rules at all. The painted on lanes and traffic medians are merely suggestions, and there are very few signs along the side of the road. The most common one, perfectly sums up the driving experience in Indonesia.
DSC_0572.jpg

KBR-
This place is everything you’ve read, and then some… This was my first time to Lembeh, so my “critter wish list” was a rather demanding 22 items long… But, to their credit, in just five days of diving, they checked off all of them but five… Well, the last one on the list was a mermaid, so I can hardly blame them for that (other critters MIA were mimic octopus, hairy frogfish, candy crab, and hairy squat lobster).
DSC_0566.jpg

The diving and diversity here is amazing, though. On most dive trips, I average maybe 20 “decent” photos per day… I had over 90 pics that made the first cut after just one day! Over 5 days of diving, I got in 19 dives. The water was a balmy 81F on most dives, so I only wore a 3mm vest. Aside from having to navigate the occasional field of small jellies in the shallows, it was more than enough for me (although, everyone else was in full 3mm suit protection, so I guess I’m not the norm).
The resort was unseasonably slow for July when I was there, so I had my own guide for several of the dives, which was nice. However, they all wear the same exact wetsuit and fins, so be sure to pick out subtle differences in their dive gear (dive watch color, etc) to make sure you don’t start following the wrong person. I didn’t have a single dive under 60 minutes and most were 70 or longer. So, if you don’t have a Nitrox cert, I would highly suggest it to maximize your bottom time. The dive guides do a great job finding critters and rotating you around to them with the other divers so there isn’t a queue of photographers hovering around waiting idly. However, it’s important to remember that, to my knowledge (and I may be wrong), most of them here are guides, not dive masters and not dive instructors. Of course, you are responsible for your own safety here, as knowing your own limits and what you’re comfortable with as always, but probably more-so here than other places. I went into deco a couple of times, and was toeing the line on several more dives. Hell, at one point, I told my guide that I needed to get more shallow only to be given a “just a minute” gesture because he was apparently looking for something… Which, of course, turned into ten more minutes at depth followed by a deco stop later. We only ran into much of a current on one dive, and vis ran around 30-40 feet, tops, on most dives. Seeing as how the Lembeh Straight is known for its muck dives, I was surprised at how beautiful the coral is in the shallows here, though. Unfortunately, the visibility remains about the same as it is in the muck, but it was beautiful nonetheless.

The food was very good and the menu is quite diverse offering anything from local Indo, to American, to Japanese and Italian. You could stay there a week, eat something different for each meal of the day, and never have the same thing twice.

The grounds are immaculately kept with flora and fauna all around, and there is nothing better than sitting on your patio here having your morning coffee while watching the sunrise. Speaking of which, I highly recommend paying a little extra for one of the beachfront villas. I was originally booked for a traditional house, but then I realized they don’t have a patio. We stayed in T5. Also, if you’re in a villa, you get room service. Which is very nice for when you just don’t feel like putting on clothes after a long day of diving to go to the restaurant to eat. However, if you do go with a traditional house, try to get T1. It is nicely positioned between the dive jetty and the restaurant, and also appeared to be the only one with a small balcony built onto it. Yes, there are bugs, but this is Indonesia and to be expected. Nothing too bad though. We had a praying mantis fly through into the room through door as I opened it, which was pretty funny. We tactically performed a “catch and release” with him since he was cool, though. The wifi worked well from the patio, but not so well at times from inside the room. One of the other guests I met there that stayed a few villas down said it barely reaches them. So, if that’s important to you, the closer in, the better. Also, I was surprised by the amount of channels available on the tv for when you’re winding things down for the evening, especially with the large selection in English. Very different from our next stop at Cocotiono’s which had 10 channels, and only three of which were watchable ones in English.
DSC_0443.jpgDSC_0447.jpgDSC_0452.jpgDSC_0478.jpg

Last edited:
As far as service is concerned, they go above and beyond. Anything you want, they’ll make it happen. My wife, who is an amputee (below the knee), requires a chair to sit on in the shower since her prosthetic can’t get wet. We asked them for a simple plastic or metal chair or stool that we could place in there for her. Thirty minutes later, they had whipped up a custom made wooded stool for her to sit on in the shower. Obviously, this made a great first impression. From the time you give them you're dive gear on your first day, to the time you pack to leave, you barely even touch your dive gear. They load and set up you gear for you, as well as rinse it at the end of each day. Definitely 5-star service here.

PICT1643.jpgPICT1072.jpgPICT1622.jpgPICT0216.jpgPICT1537.jpgPICT1467.jpgPICT0840.jpgPICT1145.jpgPICT1033.jpgPICT0986.jpgPICT0938.jpgPICT0832.jpgPICT0743.jpgPICT0274.jpgPICT0234.jpgPICT0152.jpg

Last edited:
Cocotino’s Manado-

We stayed in room #8, one of the two huge suites. If you can spring a little extra for it, I highly recommend it. They are twice the size of other rooms, and offer fantastic views of the water and jetty. We had absolutely no issues with bugs at all, other than a harmless resident gecko that we’d see on occasion. There is plenty of hot water (it’ll melt your face off if you let it) and great water pressure as well, which came as somewhat of a surprise to me. The TV has ten channels, six of which were in English and two of which were non-prime sports networks (ladies golf or bowling, anyone?). So, it’s basically HBO, Fox Movies, AXN, and E! Network. The resort is nestled in next to a small village, so you will often hear Muslim prayers being blaring from a loudspeaker from the nearby mosque. But from in your room with the large ceiling fan on, you likely won’t be able to even hear it, so it’s not a problem. In fact, I thought it added some charm to the location by providing a somewhat eerie, echoing reminder that, Toto, you’re not in Kansas anymore. Also, the sunsets here are simply incredible.
DSC_0574.jpgDSC_0582.jpgDSC_0703.jpgDSC_0675.jpgDSC_0780.jpgDSC_0705.jpgDSC_0600.jpgDSC_0575.jpg

The food was amazing, especially the dinners, and the portions are always more than enough. The drinks here are extremely expensive (anything with liquor, expect $10-$12 USD. Even a coke is about $4 USD. So, I would consider bringing your own if you prefer a nightcap. On the bright side, the bartender does pour with a heavy hand.

The staff here is over the top friendly and always wanting to help with anything they can. Even after you’ve been here several days, every member of their team greets you each time they see you with a big smile as if you just stepped foot on the resort for the first time. We also took a trip on our dry day to the Tangkoko Nature Reserve, and had a great time (although it is much closer to the Lembeh side, so planning your dry day from there makes more sense). The guy that brought us from Cocotino’s also has a tattoo shop in town, and gave my wife a tattoo before we left! A far better memento to take home than a stuffed monkey, in my opinion.
DSC_1047.jpgDSC_0873.jpg

While the diving here is difficult to compare to Lembeh, it was still nice. Overall though, I was somewhat disappointed with it. Like at KBR, it was pretty slow at the resort, so I was unable to get enough people together to make the trip from here to Bangka like I was hoping to (min of 6 divers required at $50 per person). The boat left after breakfast each morning for two boat dives around the Bunkaken area, then returned for lunch at the resort. Then, after a little time to relax, you do a local dive in the afternoon around the mainland for this side’s version of muck diving. While the macro critters on this side fewer than in Lembeh, you’ll get the larger animals in Bunaken (turtles, sharks, large coral walls covered with schools of fish, etc) and visibility that the other side lacks. Unfortunately, even though you can see clearly from the surface to 130’+, there was a LOT of particulate in the water, which made wider angled photography fairly difficult. With the macro stuff on the local dives, the guides do a great job of trying to find what it is you’re looking for. In fact, they were able to check off a couple of items on my “critter wish list” that I was unable to in Lembeh since the candy/soft coral crabs and hairy squat lobsters are in abundance on this side. The water was consistently 83F-84F, so I again stuck solely with my 3mm vest. The currents around Bunaken can be a little tricky at times. We got caught in a bit of a washing machine on one dive to the point where the guide had us climb up the wall to our safety stop about halfway through the dive. But the walls here are a beautiful site to see, even if flying over it a faster than normal pace. Worth flying halfway around the world for, though? Not particularly.
PICT2322.jpgPICT2253.jpgPICT2219.jpgPICT1925.jpgPICT1747.jpgDSC_0727.jpg

Extra Credit:

We stayed a few nights in Singapore on the way back and loved it. An amazingly clean (but expensive to live in) city with outstanding food. I tried about every strange item I could get my hands on… I even ate the eyeball of my fish head curry.
DSC_1182.jpgDSC_1154.jpg10456102_10152733425185839_7293604879061957500_n.jpg

We had a 9 hour layover in Beijing on the way back, so I booked a taxi tour to take us out to the great wall of China. I had a couple of hours to run around on it before heading back to the airport. Far better than sitting in PEK’s dump of an airport for 9 hours.

DSC_1256.jpgDSC_1246 - Version 2.jpg

This was my first time to that neck of the woods, so I had been looking forward to it quite a bit… Not only the newness of experiencing that part of the world and all of its cool critters, but for taking a break from the norm of our Caribbean trips. Now that this trip is in the books and we’re settled back in at home, all I can do is reminisce with my pics and to look forward to my next vacation in November back to Bonaire… Sadly, I can’t help but notice how the anticipation of my next trip seems to be less exciting than normal… Knowing that the bar has now been risen, and that this trip has likely ruined me for all others. However, I recall having the same concern a few years ago after a week in the Australian Coral Sea, so, somehow, I think I’ll manage to get over it.

Cheers

All wet pics were taken with a SeaLife DC1400. All dry pics with a Nikon D5100.
www.pillpusher.smugmug.com
www.flickr.com/photos/pillpusher75/sets/

Great write up, I am about to leave Singapore tomorrow morning for Lembeh (different resort though), this being my second trip to Lembeh having visited there last year and my third to Manado as I dived there in 1995 or 96 … will need to check my old logs to verify what year, when I stayed at Bunaken, the highlight of that drip was actually killer whales, or as a rather naive newly qualified OW girl said on the boat "oh look some big dolphins"

As a macro photographer Lembeh ticks all the boxes, if I want beautiful reefs then Rajah Ampat has to be the next goal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom