Trip Report: NAD Lembeh, November 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Below is a stand-alone account of my stay at NAD Lembeh. I have already posted an overview of my whole Indonesia trip and a separate account of my stay at Murex Bangka in this Indonesia sub-forum.

It was Lembeh that had originally sparked my interest in North Sulawesi, and at the end of the day Lembeh was for me the more fulfilling of the two destinations in North Sulawesi that I visited. My interest began with the Anilao leg of my trip to the Philippines earlier this year, when I head other divers talking about their muck diving experiences in Lembeh. I shared some of my Anilao images in macro photography circles online, where Lembeh is a common source of images, many of which caught my eye. My research to ID some of the critters that I shot in Anilao led me to NAD Lembeh's informative blog, and I filed that resort away in the back of my mind for future reference. When the time came to research Lembeh resorts, I considered the competition and found some others that seemed appealing, such as Black Sand Dive Retreat, but at the end of the day I decided to stick with NAD Lembeh. Its selling points included: its consistently positive reviews and reputation; its moderate pricing; its 2:1 diver:guide ratio; its strong photographic focus; their willingness to do night dives for even just one diver (with a reasonable “single supplement” add-on fee); and my general sense from their website and social media presence that I would like their culture and atmosphere (which I did).

NAD Lembeh runs a quality dive operation. Tank fills were always complete and often had a bit extra. They allow generous bottom times of up to 75 minutes, except for some deeper reef dives and for night dives, in which case they limited bottom times to 60 minutes. One can spend almost five hours a day underwater in only four dives: their two-tank trip in the morning, their afternoon dive, and a night dive. Beyond their conventional night dives, they also offer blackwater/bonfire night dives and mandarinfish mating dives, both of which I was eager to try in order to expand my special interest in night dives. (Unlike my mandarinfish mating dive on Bangka Island, this dive actually yielded mandarinfish, and they actually mated in front of us, but ironically, the site was better for nudibranchs). My only significant gripe was that the Nitrox mixes were often inaccurate, sometimes significantly (e.g. 28% instead of 32%), to the point that they constrained bottom times for one or two of the deeper dives.

Their four boats provided a reasonable degree of comfort, complete with a head, and their pier provided easy access to those boats. Perhaps they could have distributed those divers more evenly across their fleet, as there were occasionally more divers on the boat than I would have preferred. They nonetheless adhered strictly to their guaranteed 2:1 diver:guide ratio underwater, which had been a strong selling point for me and contributed significantly to the quality of my underwater experience. There was not any of the “lining up” for photographic subjects for which places like Lembeh and Anilao are known, and the guides tended to keep a good distance between the separate groups – but still close enough to signal to each other when they had found something of great interest, e.g. a blue-ringed octopus. As I had found on Bangka Island and in the Philippines, the guides demonstrated incredibly sharp wildlife spotting skills, which I found all the more remarkable in light of the small size and/or strong camouflage of some of these creatures, such as the hairy shrimp (I saw two of them) and a “Shaun the Sheep” nudibranch (no presentable images of those, which were beyond my skills and equipment).

NAD Lembeh advertises itself as a photography-centric resort, which is definitely true. Their camera room is the size of a small house and should be more than adequate for any guest's needs. There were guests from the BBC there during my stay; the rumor was that they were shooting footage for something along the lines of “Blue Planet.” The guides were clearly familiar with camera equipment and photographic techniques and issues. The manager, Sonja, is a photographer and was a useful resource for any photographic issues than one might encounter. She was almost always present at meals and clearly went out of her way to engage guests. She also occasionally joined us for dives. I also found the demographic of guests at NAD Lembeh, with a diverse mix from Europe, North America, and East Asia, more congenial than the overwhelmingly German crowd on Bangka Island.

The resort was comfortable and enjoyable in other respects as well and was definitely an improvement over the more primitive facilities on Bangka Island. I liked the architecture and general décor, and the humidity and mosquitoes were not as bad as they were on Bangka. The food was of good quality for buffet service and was not too spicy, as Indonesian cuisine may be for some Westerners. The rooms were of good quality, but my only gripe was that the original mattress in my room was way too soft for me. It turned out that they had mattresses with different degrees of firmness available upon request.

I went to Lembeh because I wanted to build and improve upon my impressive muck diving experience in Anilao. In retrospect, I would say that Lembeh did provide a somewhat better muck diving experience in most ways, but not all. In general, I would say that a typical daytime muck dive at Lembeh yielded a greater number and wider variety of more interesting critters than Anilao. The difference was not huge, however, and this assessment may nonetheless vary according to one's specific interests, if any. For example, I would say that Lembeh was better for cephalopods and maybe frogfish, whereas Anilao was better for nudibranchs and maybe crustaceans. The other area in which Anilao still has an advantage is night dives, which remain some of the best dives (day or night) of my entire diving experience thus far. As much as I like muck diving, it is also good to take a break from it every now and then to see some coral, which is another area where Anilao has an advantage, in my view. Some of the Lembeh reefs were not that impressive, and if I could change anything about my Lembeh trip, I would have traded some of the reef dives for more muck dives. The other advantage of Anilao is that it is easier to reach than Lembeh, and I also prefer the terrestrial environment of the Philippines.

I had heard many negative comments about the amount of garbage and other noticeable human defilement in the waters of Lembeh. I cannot dispute the accuracy of such comments but would note that it did not bother me personally; as a native New Yorker, such filth is a normal part of my environment. In fact, the muck dive sites with the most garbage, such as those near villages, often had the most animals. I could not help but wonder if the garbage actually attracted animals by providing them with shelter, structure for growth, or building materials, perhaps in a smaller-scale version of the “artificial reef” effect that shipwrecks have. If nothing else, it was at least reassuring to see that the animal population remained large and diverse in the face of such heavy human impact on the environment, and that at least some animals seemed to be making the best of a bad situation. Whenever you see a piece of garbage in the muck, take a closer look at it or in it, and you have a good chance of finding an animal in it or on it. The octopuses, particularly the coconut octopuses, seemed to be the most frequent users of garbage for shelter, presumably because the coconut octopuses evolved to use objects for protection – but we also found a blue-ringed octopus inside a woman's shoe. Bottles seemed to be popular with octopuses and blennies. We saw one decorator crab that had decorated itself with half of a can and dubbed this new species a “Bintang crab,” in reference to the Indonesian beer brand.

Paul on Instagram: “A blue-ringed octopus on a woman’s shoe, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living inside a pipe and a shell, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in a bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in a plastic bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in broken glass, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A blenny in a bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A blenny in a bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Decorator crab with a can on its back, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A porcupinefish in a can, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

(to be continued)

Cephalopods yielded the most rewarding encounters that I had in Lembeh, although they are a personal favorite of mine, so take that comment for what it is worth. I saw more octopuses in Lembeh than I have seen anywhere else – there must have been several dozen of them, at least 50 or 60, if not more, including one daytime muck dive with a whopping eight octopuses. We saw three each of some of the most highly coveted cephalopods: the blue-ringed octopus, the mimic octopus, and the flamboyant cuttlefish. I saw no mototis or wonderpus though, and no hairy octopus either, even though it was in season. The coconut and long-armed octopuses are very common, as are the larger cuttlefish. Other noteworthy sightings included a few pygmy cuttlefish and reef squid and a bobtail squid.

Paul on Instagram: “A blue-ringed octopus standing up and in portrait format, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba…”

Paul on Instagram: “Blue-ringed octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “A blue-ringed octopus not showing its rings, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Mimic octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Mimic octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Octopus from above, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Octopus from above, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Flamboyant cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Flamboyant cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Pygmy cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Cuttlefish hiding in sand, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Squid, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Bobtail squid, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Personally, I found that the coconut octopuses often yielded the most interesting cephalopod encounters, even if they are less visually striking than the more highly coveted blue-ringed or mimic octopuses. Aside from the photogenic quality of their use of shelters, they displayed no fear of divers, perhaps because their shelters made them feel safe. Some of them came out of their shelters to check us out. They and a few other octopuses did seem quite curious about us, including my camera; one of them tried to steal my macro lens, perhaps to add to his shelter as a window, and started chasing me as I finned backwards. The long-armed octopuses were more skittish and harder to shoot, but a few of them reached out for my camera, as if to check it out from a safe distance. I had always known that octopuses are intelligent, but Lembeh left me with a much deeper appreciation of their intelligence.

Paul on Instagram: “Coconut octopus living in a shell, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Coconut octopus emerging from its shell home, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in a shell, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Portrait of a coconut octopus standing up, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Coconut octopus partially buried in the sand, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Coconut octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Coconut octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadivibg #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Coconut octopus walking upright, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Long-armed octopus, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “A long-armed octopus reaching for my camera, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A long-armed octopus reaching for my camera, Lembeh Strait. North Sulawesi, Indonesia. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

(to be continued)

Other than cephalopods, the frogfish were another highlight for me. They were fairly common and came in all sizes, colors, and species, including: the coveted hairy frogfish, of which I may have seen three or four; and the warty frogfish, which was new to me and hard to shoot because it was black.

Paul on Instagram: “Hairy frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Hairy frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Warty frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Clown frogfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Watch out for the Ambon scorpionfish, which are common at the muck dive sites and easy to miss and land on by accident. Tassled scorpionfish, another favorite of mine, were more common on reefs.

Paul on Instagram: “Ambon scorpionfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “A pair of Ambon scorpionfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Tassled scorpionfish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrbxvlXFgpN

For whatever reason, some the seahorses and pipefish here were a bit easier to shoot (except for the pygmies, of course); maybe they are used to it. The pipefish were less antsy, and the non-pygmy seahorses were less prone to turning away from the camera. Some of the longer pipefish are so long that you might want to remove any wet macro lenses if you want to capture the whole body. We saw three varieties of pygmy seahorses – mostly red Bargibantis, including the one below, and one or two each of the Denises and Pontohis, which were beyond my skills to shoot properly. There were a few larger seahorses and also a few of the medium-sized spiny seahorses, which I find the most photogenic.

Paul on Instagram: “Seahorse, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Seahorse, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Ornate ghost pipefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Halimeda ghost pipefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Robust ghost pipefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Pipefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Pipefish, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography…”

My guide for the week was a crustacean enthusiast and thus went out of his way to show us a good variety of noteworthy crabs, shrimp, and lobsters. Porcelain crabs are ubiquitous there and were personal favorite of mine as a photographic subject. Other crustacean highlights included: boxer crabs; orangutan crabs; a candy crab; a decorator crab that decorated itself with an urchin; a decorator crab that had just molted and stood over its old shell; a harlequin shrimp; a large slipper lobster; several sawblade shrimps; a tiger shrimp; and a few Coleman shrimps and zebra crabs on fire urchins. Not pictured here is a lissocarcinus crab living inside a sea cucumber's anus, which was beyond my skill and equipment to shoot properly (use a snoot). It was the first thing that the guide showed me on my first dive and is a good example the unusual creatures that one finds in Lembeh. I had never even heard or seen photographs of them before, and it thrills me to see something unusual and totally new like that.

Paul on Instagram: “Porcelain crab, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Porcelain crab, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Decorator crab with sea urchin on its back, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “A crab after its molting, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrV6OOPllNy/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrV7Ky6F1e5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrV7144FAlW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrV8R-1FyHg/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWHSpNFFvC/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWHyNEl4iY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWSo-ZljZN/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWiGSEFHhb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrYHr-qFhbS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdHWWiFCvB/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdF6yYlf-2/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdQatCF91R/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdaffEl0Bz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brda-VyFIfd/

One can of course see cleaner shrimp anywhere, but the ones in Lembeh seemed to have a knack for good photo opportunities, especially with eels. One highlight for me was the cleaner shrimps that cleaned an old hydroid sting on my hand when I was shooting a porcelain crab on their anemone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdWKjZlr1i/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdYUeLF0Zh/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdXpThF2Ik/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWyaYZl8r1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWlBS3FJHQ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdALD_ll7j/

(to be continued)

Lembeh had a good selection of nudibranchs, but this is one area in which I would say that Anilao clearly outdid Lembeh, in both numbers and variety. Personal favorites of mine included: the ceratosoma tenue, which I saw often in both Bangka and Lembeh; the goniobranchus kuniei, which seemed to be common in Lembeh; the janolus, which looks like something out of a video game; and the phyllodesmium longicirrum, which may be the biggest nudibranch that I will ever see. There were some that I have not ID'd yet, including one at the bottom that looks like a UFO with rhinophores.

Paul on Instagram: “Phyllodesmium longicirrum nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Janolus nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Goniobranchus kuniei nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”

Paul on Instagram: “Glossodoris nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Ceratosoma tenue nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Hypselodoris nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Ceratosoma tenue nudibranch, Lembeh, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Chromodoris annae nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Chromodoris magnifica, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Chromodoris willani nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Nudibranch, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

The Lembeh leg of my North Sulawesi trip was a rewarding and fulfilling experience. It strengthened my growing interest in Indo-Pacific, Coral Triangle, and Indonesian diving, as well as my more specific taste for muck diving and macro photography. I do hope to return to Lembeh in the future, but the obstacles to repeat visits include the difficulty of reaching North Sulawesi from New York and deciding what other Indonesian destinations with which to combine it, other than Bangka Island or Bunaken. Whenever I return to Lembeh, NAD Lembeh would be my first choice, but I would be willing to consider others if it were full for my dates, or if someone here can make the case for a competitor. While the muck diving in Lembeh was arguably an improvement over that of Anilao in some ways, I suspect that Anilao will be a more frequent repeat destination for me, given: the greater logistical and linguistic/cultural accessibility of the Philippines for North Americans; my preference for that country's terrestrial environment; and some aspects of the diving in Anilao that suit my preferences.
  • If you are a repeat visitor to Lembeh, with what other Indonesian destinations have you been combining it into longer trips? If those trips involved Indonesia destinations outside North Sulawesi, e.g. Ambon, Alor, Bali, or Raja Ampat, what airlines and itineraries did you use?

• Are there any other Indonesian or Southeast Asian destinations where you would say that the muck diving, macro photography, and marine life are just as good or better than Lembeh, such as Ambon, Bali, or Dumaguete? If so, why?

• For those of you that have been to NAD Lembeh and at least one of its local competitors, which of them did you prefer, and for what reasons?

• Can you corroborate or refute my observation that the Lembeh muck dive sites with more garbage, especially those near villages, may actually have more animals? Is it possible that some of the garbage serves as a distributed, small-scale “artificial reef” in such areas?

• Are octopuses normally that ubiquitous in Lembeh, or was I just unusually lucky that week? Did you find that Lembeh was better for nudibranchs than I did?

Wonderful pictures and great write-up. Thanks for sharing. Was in that area a few weeks ago and the decorator crab with the sea urchin on its back running through the black sand was a treat.

Rob

I was at NAD Lembeh in October as part of an underwater photo workshop. I came three days early and stayed an extra day, so I had 13 days of diving. I was at Anilao and Puerto Galera last year, also in a workshop. I've only gotten to my fourth day of diving in processing my photos and have found that the Lembeh nudibranchs far outshown what I saw in Anilao. I hit almost every critter on my bucket list within the first couple days. Had to wait to the end to get the wonderpus, and then I saw three. I loved NAD Lembeh and will be going back in 2020. I'm headed to the Red Sea, Anilao, and Alor next year in a combined trip. I would give NAD Lembeh five stars and highly recommend them to anyone.

Paul,

We met in NAD-Lembeh. I was the Chinese guy with the shaved head. I left on Nov 21. It was on my last dive day on Nov 20 that we saw Mimics on back-to-back dives.

Combo destinations: this past Lembeh trip was the first that wasn't a combo.

Bali-Lembeh (done 2X) - I like the Tulamben area, which includes Seraya, for macro, and Padang-Bai for macro (refer to Luko's comment about the Pier) and some big stuff (Mola-Molas are seasonal). This is easy because major international airlines fly into Bali, and both Garuda and Lion Air and possibly others fly between Bali and Manado.
Lembeh-Raja Ampat (done 1X) - RA has nice corals, lots of fish, mantas, wobbies, cat sharks and some macro. Back then this was a direct flight Manado-Sorong
Lembeh-Ambon (booked in 2017 but had to cancel, but was very much of interest as a combo because I had a decent trip here several years back). BTW, if you thought the water in Lembeh was filthy, I thought Ambon was worse - I've never had an ear infection diving in Lembeh, but I got a middle ear infection in Ambon. The flight itinerary on this combo was supposed to be Bali to Ambon via Surabaya, Ambon-Makassar-Manado, and then Manado-Bali.

International Flights

Since you will not consider the Singapore Airlines-Silk Air option anymore, you could do what I normally do, which is Cathay Pacific to Bali or Jakarta by way of Hong Kong and then connect with either Garuda or Lion Air to Manado. Were you charged a $35 visa fee upon landing in Manado from Singapore? If there is still a visa fee, then there is a minor gain to be made by flying into either Jakarta or Bali because that $35 visa fee is waived . Sure, you lose the advantage of having your luggage checked all the way thru, but as I see it, the silver lining to retrieving my bags and then rechecking them is that I find it comforting to touch my luggage and know that it made it across the Pacific with me.

Another one to perhaps look into is flying Sky Alliance Team airlines of which Garuda is a partner. Perhaps the bags can be checked thru by flying all Sky Alliance member airlines.

As far as other muck destinations, much has been expounded on already on this subject. I concur that the Anilao Pier is a helluva night dive, It is the only site ever in which I have encountered a lot of bioluminescence while doing my safety stop. On my only trip to Ambon, I missed out on the Psycho Frog, Rhinopias (2 types Frondosa and Eschmeyeri) - all seen a week after I left - and the Hairy Octo (seen by another diver during my trip). What I saw a loot of in Ambon were Harlequin Shrimp, sometimes in groups of up to 6 on one starfish, and Bumblebee Shrimp, which I didn't even see this time in Lembeh, and have never been in great numbers on my 3 prior trips to Lembeh.

Other Lembeh Resorts

I've done KBR once and NAD the last three times. That tells you where my preference is. KBR is more money, the food is arguably better only in that, back when I went, it was alacarte and you could order whatever and as much as you wanted from the menu. But you can't beat the 2:1 dive guide ratio, and quality of critter spotting is on par or better. In fact, the DM with whom I have always dived at NAD - Johan - I met originally in KBR. I have friends who swear by Lembeh Resort, but they are also pricier.

Octopi

Don't want to a dampen your spirits, but in Nov 2015 I counted 10 species. The ones I didn't see this time were the Algae, the Hairy, and the Mosaic. On occasions people have also seen the Starry Night on night dives. On this trip I was after two things: the Hairy Octo and the Melibe Colemani. Saw them in 2015 for just one dive each. Didn't see either this time. Too bad, but I remind myself that it is not an aquarium......pretty close, tho. I asked for Mimic on my last day there and voila.

This is why I keep coming back: every trip to Lembeh is filled with possibilities. My most amusing sighting this trip was the "pregnant" juvenile (3" long) stargazer on a day dive. You were there on that dive. I learned after the dive that it had swollen a fish of about the same size, hence the pregnant appearance.

My list of octopi from Lembeh consists of the blue-ringed, mototi, hairy, wonderpus, mimic, long-armed, and coconut. Once I get through all my photos, there may be more, but I don't think so.

I still have not seen a coconut octo. You'd think that would be one of the easy ones.

The hairy was quite incredible to me.

Paul,

We met in NAD-Lembeh. I was the Chinese guy with the shaved head. I left on Nov 21. It was on my last dive day on Nov 20 that we saw Mimics on back-to-back dives.

Combo destinations: this past Lembeh trip was the first that wasn't a combo.

Bali-Lembeh (done 2X) - I like the Tulamben area, which includes Seraya, for macro, and Padang-Bai for macro (refer to Luko's comment about the Pier) and some big stuff (Mola-Molas are seasonal). This is easy because major international airlines fly into Bali, and both Garuda and Lion Air and possibly others fly between Bali and Manado.
Lembeh-Raja Ampat (done 1X) - RA has nice corals, lots of fish, mantas, wobbies, cat sharks and some macro. Back then this was a direct flight Manado-Sorong
Lembeh-Ambon (booked in 2017 but had to cancel, but was very much of interest as a combo because I had a decent trip here several years back). BTW, if you thought the water in Lembeh was filthy, I thought Ambon was worse - I've never had an ear infection diving in Lembeh, but I got a middle ear infection in Ambon. The flight itinerary on this combo was supposed to be Bali to Ambon via Surabaya, Ambon-Makassar-Manado, and then Manado-Bali.

International Flights

Since you will not consider the Singapore Airlines-Silk Air option anymore, you could do what I normally do, which is Cathay Pacific to Bali or Jakarta by way of Hong Kong and then connect with either Garuda or Lion Air to Manado. Were you charged a $35 visa fee upon landing in Manado from Singapore? If there is still a visa fee, then there is a minor gain to be made by flying into either Jakarta or Bali because that $35 visa fee is waived . Sure, you lose the advantage of having your luggage checked all the way thru, but as I see it, the silver lining to retrieving my bags and then rechecking them is that I find it comforting to touch my luggage and know that it made it across the Pacific with me.

Another one to perhaps look into is flying Sky Alliance Team airlines of which Garuda is a partner. Perhaps the bags can be checked thru by flying all Sky Alliance member airlines.

As far as other muck destinations, much has been expounded on already on this subject. I concur that the Anilao Pier is a helluva night dive, It is the only site ever in which I have encountered a lot of bioluminescence while doing my safety stop. On my only trip to Ambon, I missed out on the Psycho Frog, Rhinopias (2 types Frondosa and Eschmeyeri) - all seen a week after I left - and the Hairy Octo (seen by another diver during my trip). What I saw a loot of in Ambon were Harlequin Shrimp, sometimes in groups of up to 6 on one starfish, and Bumblebee Shrimp, which I didn't even see this time in Lembeh, and have never been in great numbers on my 3 prior trips to Lembeh.

Other Lembeh Resorts

I've done KBR once and NAD the last three times. That tells you where my preference is. KBR is more money, the food is arguably better only in that, back when I went, it was alacarte and you could order whatever and as much as you wanted from the menu. But you can't beat the 2:1 dive guide ratio, and quality of critter spotting is on par or better. In fact, the DM with whom I have always dived at NAD - Johan - I met originally in KBR. I have friends who swear by Lembeh Resort, but they are also pricier.

Octopi

Don't want to a dampen your spirits, but in Nov 2015 I counted 10 species. The ones I didn't see this time were the Algae, the Hairy, and the Mosaic. On occasions people have also seen the Starry Night on night dives. On this trip I was after two things: the Hairy Octo and the Melibe Colemani. Saw them in 2015 for just one dive each. Didn't see either this time. Too bad, but I remind myself that it is not an aquarium......pretty close, tho. I asked for Mimic on my last day there and voila.

This is why I keep coming back: every trip to Lembeh is filled with possibilities. My most amusing sighting this trip was the "pregnant" juvenile (3" long) stargazer on a day dive. You were there on that dive. I learned after the dive that it had swollen a fish of about the same size, hence the pregnant appearance.

@Manuel Sam Small world!

Is this image of the pregnant-looking stargazer to which you were referring?

Paul on Instagram: “Juvenile stargazer, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Thank you for your feedback. I had been thinking along the lines of some of what you suggested, such as combining Bali with Lembeh, or flying all Sky Alliance airlines next time I visit North Sulawesi (some combination of Delta, a Northeast Asian airline, and Garuda). Bali is probably enough for two whole weeks (a week in the south and a week in Tulamben), but perhaps I could combine Lembeh and Tulamben in the future..

I had looked into both KBR and Lembeh Resort and ruled them out largely but not entirely because of price. NAD Lembeh seemed to deliver a better or at least comparable experience at a more moderate price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom