Trip Report Philippine Siren Coron - Anilao Jan 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny thing about the ladders....I am a mid fifties woman who, while faily fit, would not be running any marathons in this lifetime. I had no trouble with the ladders. I hate handing gear up, as the boatmen do enough. I had no trouble, at all, climbing the ladders with all gear on. Interesting.......

Funny thing about the ladders....I am a mid fifties woman who, while faily fit, would not be running any marathons in this lifetime. I had no trouble with the ladders. I hate handing gear up, as the boatmen do enough. I had no trouble, at all, climbing the ladders with all gear on. Interesting.......

Truly interesting, as everyone had the same issue on this trip. It was virtually impossible to get into the boat without the boatman physically pulling you up the last couple of feet of the ladder. Never had this issue in any other boat. Possibly the RIBS were underinflated or the ladders have become looser with age. Not a big deal.

I did back to back trips with this itenerary and both agree and disagree. I found Apo to be a bit disappointing as we saw few of the famed big schools of pelagics the area was famous for. We did see plenty of other thigs, including plenty of nice banded sea kraits.

Coron was also poor vis for us, but the reef growth on the wrecks was wonderful. saw lots of great macro subjects. The reef life at the very touristed snorkeling areas were also very nice with plenty of photo subjects, including some really nice mandarin sites. I really enjoyed Coron, even with the limited vis.

As for the Siren, I found it to be very comfortable and great crew. I had no problems with the food at all. I sometimes wished we had fewer meats and more seafood, though. The only drawback, for me, was the photo table, as you mentioned. We had to take turns using it and a couple of photogs were not very cooperative with the rest of the photogs. They stored their stuff on it making it hard for others to use. I liked the camera drawers for the crossings!

Would I go on the Philippines Siren again? Absolutely! Would I do the same itenerary? No.

Wow Allison… you still remember… maybe we'll get to dive again one day… and go for 120? lol!

Sometimes getting up a crappy ladder is partly a matter of flexibility. Even the day boats we were on in the Philippines, even on a very big boat, the ladders weren't great and didn't go very far into the water due to the design. My tall and very inflexible husband had a lot of trouble with them, and I didn't so much. (And I'd guess on average women are more flexible then men.)

Not in this case. Getting on to the ladder was not the problem, getting up the ladder and into the boat was. As soon as you got your feet on the bottom rung, the bottom of the ladder would push under the RIB and you were almost hanging in the water from the ladder. The boatman would grab the top of the tank and pull you vertical and then you could finish climbing in. Just a poor design on underinflated RIBs. By far the worst ladder I have ever used - except the one on my own boat which is no ladder at all. Take all your gear off, grab the swim grid which is 18" above the water and power swim and lift yourself out of the water. Not even possible with a tank, or weights on.

Don't want to make a big deal of this - taking gear off and handing it up worked well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom