Trip report - Socorro Islands on Rocio Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Treetop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A little late out of the gate, but here is my trip report for the Socorro's.

First off - a big thanks go out to Doug and Catherine Goergens, as I got to go on this trip a year earlier than planned by winning it at the annual Bonne Terre Treasure dive.
Also many thanks to Dora Sandoval for donating such a wonderful prize for the event.

Aquire DAN insurance before you go, as this is a requirement.
Nitrox runs about $120 for the week, I picked this up as we did a lot of diving. (don't follow dolphins on deep plunges if you use this :wink: ) They have several analyzers for you to check mix with before each dive.

To start this adventure, you fly into San Jose Del Cabo, and best to have pre-arranged transit to the Marina. Dora can tell you who to use when you book. (About $40 rnd trip I believe) Our ride was waiting for us, and we piled in while they loaded luggage and we were off.
We got to the Marina in plenty of time, and were able to relax on board as we awaited the rest of our passengers. There isn't a ton to do right around the Marina within walking distance, Maybe 1 or two restraunts.
Bring motion pills if you are at all subject to ocean queasiness. The Roccio is very stable, but the crossing takes a full day, and can be subject to lots of rolling waves. Once you get on site, you will be moored in protected areas and they put down stabalizers, only time I didn't feel well was on the crossing.

Food was great and plentiful, with snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic) between dives, and then adult beverages at night if you like. They keep fridges with sodas and such up in the lounge.

Boat was plenty spacious, we had a full passenger list, but I didn't feel over crowded at all, lots of spots to go and get peace if you want it, or visit if you like company. We had divers from London, Spain, and Tokyo, as well as the USA.

You set up all your equipment on the back dive deck and it stays assembled for the duration. The dive crew will refill your air after each dive with tank still on. There is a spacious camera table, and they split the dives into two groups so dive deck wasn't over crowded at all. Everyone has their own gear spot so no hunting for your stuff.
(No lights to be used and no night diving)

Primarily diving was done off Pangas, though a couple times we jumped or swam back to dive deck. You are assisted on and off of these zodiac like tenders, and its an easy 1-2-3 roll to get in, and ladder to climb back out.
They come pick you up as you drift, so you don't need to swim much to chase them. There is some current in spots. Each pair of divers got a nautilus beacon in case of seperation from group, though no one had to activate, and the boats were able to follow us all - just in case. Also take a safety sausage as the swells can obscure you - but again just redundant as the boats did an excellent find and retrieve.

I wore a 5mm full wetsuit in december, but could have easily done a 3mm and possibly 1mm if you are warm blooded - bring both and swap out to tastes.

Visability was mediumish for the most part 60-80 maybe. Water maybe around 82 deg.

Flooded my dang go-pro 20ft down on first dive of trip, so shot with the sealife camera I had as a spare.

Things to see - Huge Tuna, lots of white tip reef shark up shallow, and Galapagos shark down deep. Hammerheads just on edge of vision around 80-100ft. Dolphin on several dives. A whale Shark came to pay a visit right off the back of the Roccio while we were unloading from a dive - needless to say - most divers splashed again to swim with this wonderfully large and peacful creature right on the surface and it hung around quite a while.
On Socorro Island we found the hiding manta rays - and boy did we find them. Very friendly and -huge - they would just come and dance around the divers, you could swim belly to belly with them and get close enough to touch, though we forewent that as unhealthy for them. Also on Socorro, I was a little away from the main group with my dive buddy looking for manta about 30 ft down, when below us a huge school of hammerhead sharks started swimming by - I dove for it and got to swim amongst them also - very cool.

So if you like big marine life - definately put this on your radar. Reserve early as it's a great destination and fills up quickly.
Highly recommend the Roccio Del Mar and it's wonderful crew.

I'll try a few pics in here, but as I said camera wasn't what I was hoping.
Now get off the internet and go get wet!

Attachments

• manta2.jpg
    manta2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 133
  • PICT0005 13-36-32.jpg
    PICT0005 13-36-32.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 117
  • PICT0165.jpg
    PICT0165.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 104
  • PICT0166 16-21-16.jpg
    PICT0166 16-21-16.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 102
  • whaleshark nose.jpg
    whaleshark nose.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 109
  • whitetip pile.jpg
    whitetip pile.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 107
Great report and pics( especially the first manta pic!)

Mediumish viz at 80 feet . . . I want to know where you USUALLY dive? (Good viz in Puget Sound is 20 feet.)

November 2014 can't get here fast enough. Thanks for the report.

Back
Top Bottom