Trip Report - TURNEFFE ISLAND RESORT - NOVEMBER 29 - DECEMBER 10, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This small island resort is located about 90 minutes by boat southeast of Belize City on the southern most area of the Turneffe Atoll. We stayed 11 nights at TIR, arriving on Saturday and departing on Wednesday.The accommodations are either in stand alone villas or in a two story building with four units, two on the top and two on the bottom. Maximum occupancy is about 36 guests. The rooms are nicely appointed with hardwood everywhere and a screened in porch with a very good view of the water. Maid service was very responsive to service requests. The bathroom area has both an indoor and a separate outdoor shower. The walk to the main building, the swimming pool, outside bar, and the restaurant was about 100’ from our room. The walk to the dock was about a bit further, maybe a 30 second stroll. The food was excellent — breakfast, lunch, dinner, and cookies and coffee, tea, and lemonade available all day. The kitchen staff have for the most part been employed here for many years and try to meet any individual dietary requests.

The diving was excellent - as good as anywhere we have been in the Caribbean. There are 2 tank dives in the morning, with an afternoon dive on most days. The dive sites were usually 5 minutes away from the dock, so we returned to the resort for the surface intervals. Our dive guides Daniel and Marcela were both excellent. We dove The Elbow twice, and the second time was a fabulous dive with about two dozen spotted eagle rays.

The day trip to the Blue Hole in Lighthouse Reef was a fun day. It was about 90 minutes via a comfortable boat to the Blue Hole, followed by a picnic lunch and two excellent dives at Lighthouse Reef.

The young couple that manage the resort, Tom and Hadas, were gracious hosts who were up to any request. They do a great job managing this property. We will be returning to TIR.

Thnx for sharing

A very nice report, though at their prices, they should be excellent. :shocked2:

Thanks for the trip report.

My wife and I have been there twice for a total of three weeks and love it. We'll return someday but for now southern Belize keeps drawing me back.

Are Brad, Marcel, John and Daniel, the dive guides, still there? Great guys. Unfortunately, last time we were there the owner had just imposed a "no fraternizing with the guests" rule on the staff, so to get around that I went back to their quarters and fraternized with them.

We were there for 11 nights after Thanksgiving. Our DG got the first week was Daniel, and we had Marcel for the last four days. The others were off to the mainland for a break. We spent time with Daniel during the evenings at the pool bar looking at video he took of our dives.

Thanks for the report. I''m heading there in about 24 hours, looking forward to it.

Any last-minute tips for a first-time visitor to TIR? Things you had wished you had brought along? Things you had wished you had left at home?
Post quick - I'm literally packing my stuff right now!
:D

Take - bug spray but hopefully you won't need it.

Leave behind - the office. It will still be there when you get back.

Have fun!

Thanks for the trip report.

My wife and I have been there twice for a total of three weeks and love it. We'll return someday but for now southern Belize keeps drawing me back.

Are Brad, Marcel, John and Daniel, the dive guides, still there? Great guys. Unfortunately, last time we were there the owner had just imposed a "no fraternizing with the guests" rule on the staff, so to get around that I went back to their quarters and fraternized with them.

Downing, I remember a thread about the owner the last time I was at TIR. We were there when the owner's son was on the island and implemented the "no fraternizing with the guests" rule. I would have much preferred that he not be on the island, as the rule didn't apply to him. We are scheduled to return in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom