Trip Report - Wind Dancer, Grenada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes i do have some pics and even a video of the trip! need to post them or a link to them once i get a chance.

yes we did the Bianca C and it's worth a dive as far as wrecks go.

I flew from Northern VA out of Dulles to San Juan and then to Grenada. I think this is a very good route since there are few connections and it was all american based carriers (united and american eagle). I had no luggage issues or connection problems, others who had multiple connections had some luggage issues and some connection problems (air jamaica seemed problematic)

As another note, aquanauts is not the local agent for the wind dancer anymore so you actually board the WD at the main harbor port (other side of the island from aquanauts at the True Blue Bay resort)

This is good to know, as I was considering staying at the resort just prior to the trip. Did you get a chance to check out Grenada either before or after the trip? And if so, was there something worth checking out?

Thanks again!

Hi Guys,
just did a trip on WD with a group of friends and it was outstanding.
We (Aquanauts) had been their agent in the past, but just got to busy with our own.
The vessel recently returned to the anchorage near True Blue, to many issues with the port.
As for the itinerary, the boat spends 1 1/2 days at Isle de Rhonde, just north of Grenada (for me the best diving). Then it moves to Bequia for day, nice wall, wreck and critters.
Next day moving south, diving "Pigeon Island" and "Petit Canouan" spend the night in the Tobago keys. Next morning, when you're lucky with the weather get a treat diving "Sail Rock".
If not ,dive Tobago keys in the morning then move back to Isle de Rhonde for more diving.
Friday morning is desicion time, either stay at IdR or move back to dive Bianca C.
I personally don't recomend Bianca for Friday morning. Diving 32 %, I had usually 36 desat on my Uwatec. Rather take the afternoon off and do it the next day.
Winddancer is one of the older boats, but had a nice overhaul, offers lots of space.
We also did some "non scheduled" night dives in the anchorages, just falling off the platform with eaglerays, tarpon, Squid etc....
The tenders are equipped with twin 90 hp four stroke engines, fast and comfortable.
Chef Ryan is one of the best.
Will post some pics when I'm through with it.

I was thinking about doing this trip next summer and then staying in Grenada at the True Blue Resort or some nice villa for another week of diving.
Is there enough diving in Grenada for another week? Our only interest is diving and relaxation and have no need or desire for anything else-including a night life.

Hi Jay, hi Peter nice to see you on here, thanks for the write ups, the crew appreciated your comments and enjoyed having you on board.

For those of you i haven't met I am the First Mate on the Wind Dancer and whilst I dont get on SB as much as I used to its good to be back! I will be happy to answer any questions not covered in the excellent posts above but my access to the internet can be sporadic when we are on charter so pls bear with me!

Just one change to the way Jay saw us operate is that we are now based back in Prickly Bay which is right next to True Blue Bay so we do our pick ups from the true blue resort, right by Peter's shop, aquanauts.

Laxgambit- Looking forward to seeing you in November, we have some fantastic Caribbean diving lined up for you! We do offer a half day tour of the island (actually a choice of three) at the end of the week. You can do a Waterfall Hike or visit a nutmeg plantation (it isn't called the Spice Isle for nothing!) amongst other things.

Its a great island and I am having a great time down here, sharks, seahorses, eagle rays, frogfishes and turtles always help of course!

Almost forgot, American is due to start a direct service from Miami at the end of November last I heard.

Pictures below... enjoy!

wishing you good vis ...

Simon

Attachments

• Shark_Nurse at night 2.jpg
    Shark_Nurse at night 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Seahorse_NW Wall Bequia 2.jpg
    Seahorse_NW Wall Bequia 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Crab_Arrow.jpg
    Crab_Arrow.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Turtle_Green 2.jpg
    Turtle_Green 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 40
  • Basslet_Fairy.jpg
    Basslet_Fairy.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8610.jpg
    IMG_8610.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 44
and a couple more....

Attachments

• Andrina on Bago.jpg
    Andrina on Bago.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Crab_Decorator.jpg
    Crab_Decorator.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 34
  • Fingerprint Cyphoma.jpg
    Fingerprint Cyphoma.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Squid at Night.jpg
    Squid at Night.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Moray_Green head.jpg
    Moray_Green head.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Wind Dancer.jpg
    Wind Dancer.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 49
timely post as i have been looking at grenada; it is said that if columbus were to revisit the "new world" today, the only island he would recognize is grenada; that is reason engough for a visit.

Great to see you on the board Simon!
For those on this thread and considering doing a trip on Wind Dancer, you will really appreciate Simon - he is a true professional and makes the trip very enjoyable!

Make sure and let me know when you start to skipper one of the liveaboards, I will definitely be booking that trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom