Trip Report - Zanzibar (stone town), Tanzania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool - I'll have to try and check out Scubado while I'm there. Have an appointment tomorrow for my required shots, etc. From what I've read it says I need to provide proof of a yellow-fever shot and I need to get malaria pills, and probably a hep-a/b shot as well. Also read that its best to bring US dollars? Is that what most dive shops will accept or is plastic good enough? Plan on bringing my 3mm so glad I dont need to go out and buy a 5mm :) Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!!!

Yes, you'll be asked to present proof of yellow fever vaccination when you arrive. Definitely take malaria pills, before, during and after your trip, at least that was the dosage my doctor recommended. Doctor also gave me hep A, B & C shots and typhoid which is not a requirement for entry. I was not a diver then so cannot comment on the dive shops but my experience outside of the dive shops was that US dollars more accepted than credit cards. Hope this helps!

I got every shot known to man, but I was up on Kilimanjaro and out in the game parks. For currency, dollars are accepted everywhere but everyone makes up their own exchange rate. I saw as low as $1-1000TSH at a restaurant but it should be $1-1200TSH. In the end whenever I had converted to TSH I got more for my money. If you find a place with no fee and 1-1200 exchange rate I would change a good amount and carry both. Also tetanus and polio are recommended.

I have never been asked to show my YF certificate yet, but have heard that they have gone stricter about it recently, and it's a good shot to have anyway. Hep A is definetely recommended (not only for travel in developing countries, btw), Hep B is passed on via blood and other body fluids, so it's not as easy to contract, but since you never know when you may need a blood transfusion... Hep C? As far as I know there is no vaccine for it - are you sure, ScubaSamantha?
Malaria in Zanzibar has become less common, but it's still a risk area, so prophylaxis is recommended (Mefloquine (Lariam), Malarone and Doxycycline are all considered effective in East Africa).
US$ is still the preferred currency for tourist activities, and many hotels and dive shops quote their prices in $, but they will also accept Tsh, usually at the official exchange rate (which I think is more like 1100 to the $ these days). If you pay by CC you are often charged an extra 5%, and not everyone accepts them. At ScubaDo they do, but since their bank accounts are in Britain, the price will first be converted to GBP and then charged against your card in whatever your currency is, so you will lose in the exchange. Better pay cash, $ or Tsh.

Cool - all good stuff to know. Just finished getting my shots, two in one arm and one in the other, last week, which included boosters for hep a&b, yellow fever (already had a typhoid and tetnus shots in february) and got my malarone pills... I'll get some US$$$ before I go and I should be all set.
Looking forward to the trip, should be a blast!
Thanks again everyone for the info!!! I'll post up my pics when I return in late september!

Back
Top Bottom