Triple l "Maximus" bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
"The bladder can be adjusted infinitely from zero buoyancy up until the OP Valve actuates."

Isn't that how ALL BC's work. You add air, up to the point where the OPV opens?

Spandex? Ever seen how well old spandex works? It's a latex based thread, not very durable. This is true of virtually all elastic, the waist bands in underwear, top of socks etc. Pretty short life.

Tobin

They mention "coated spandex", so I assume it's probably more durable than your bicycle shorts. These folks are starting to develop a pretty decent rep, so it would suck if they put out a product that wore out in a couple of dives.

I think the point here of using this material is that it provides more elasticity than the standard bladder, giving potentially more lift. It's an interesting concept as I mentioned above, but I'm not sure how it works out in RL. I'm no gear expert, so take my comments with a large grain of salt.

@gfisher: I was confused by this too as above the "single tank only" statement they also state:

Foam padded stainless back plate incorporates several new features including doubles mounting slot, mounting slot for 1 inch or 2 inch crotch strap, perimeter mounting holes, and a highly polished finish.

Doesn't that "doubles mounting slot" indicate the ability to have doubles? Seems contradictory...but I think it's related to translated speech...I think their first language may not be english. :wink:

undrwater:
They mention "coated spandex", so I assume it's probably more durable than your bicycle shorts. These folks are starting to develop a pretty decent rep, so it would suck if they put out a product that wore out in a couple of dives.

I think the point here of using this material is that it provides more elasticity than the standard bladder, giving potentially more lift. It's an interesting concept as I mentioned above, but I'm not sure how it works out in RL. I'm no gear expert, so take my comments with a large grain of salt.

Well maybe they have magic spandex, time will tell, but even if they do have they built a Stretchy "balloon"?

A spandex bladder is "bungeed wings" all over again. Can you orally inflate? Does it "power dump" in the event of a hole?

40-90 lbs implies a more than 2 to 1 volume change, that's a long way to stretch.

Don't know about a couple dives, but I'd worry about a couple years.

Tobin

I imagine the comments recieved on the dive boat about the Maximus could be a good ice breaker. My opening lines...

1) Yep, After watching Gladiator I just had to have this rig
2) Whatever, it was cheap!
3) Well, i heard about it on Scubaboard so it must be good...
4) Yeah Baby! :devil_2:
5) This wing can hold enough helium to levitate my kit...Wanna see?

Man, if they sold this thing with a nice small streamlined simple bladder good for single tanks instead of this overengineered gimmicky POS, it would be an obscenely good deal.

Sigh.

Last time I looked there was virtually no description yet, so I emailed them and was told it had a 37lb bladder. But the specs were not in yet ... I've been quite pleased with my other Triple-L products and I believe you can order the Plate/Harness alone for $149 or the bladder for the same price... not a bad price all around. The package makes for a very inexpensive entry for someone into a BP/Wing rig.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom