Triton Bay or Halmahera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go to the Triton Bay Divers Resort. I see someone referred to my recent report Trip Report - Triton Bay Divers Resort Review. We spent there two weeks in January and already booked three weeks for February 2025. Triton Bay has a good combination of muck, macro and amazing corals. Visibility is not as good as in RAJA AMPAT, but if you like muck and macro diving, it is not a problem. Not having any other dive operations around is a blast. Last year we've been to Palau and RAJA AMPAT (Sorido Bay Resort-the 3rd time). Palau was nice, but we are not planning coming back. I started to post videos about diving in Triton Bay. If you are interested, you can check my Diver's Lens YouTube channel. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Laval,

Me and my husband watched your videos before! They are very nice! Thank you for sharing.

Both Halmahera and Triton can be hit and miss. I did a two week exploratory trip through Halmahera that had the best and worst of dive sites. Best was macro. I did another one more recently that ended in Ternate and it was fantastic. Triton can get some low vis at times, but is a truly wonderful mix of diving. One advantage of both places over Raja Ampat is that there aren't 3-4 dive boats lined up to dive every site.

It's been a long time since Palau. I remember using one of the first digital SLR camera housings available it was so long ago. Anyway, it was our first Pacific trip, so it seemed so cool ... until we went to Indonesia. We never went back to Palau, but we have been to Indonesia 14 times. Just saying.

One advantage of both places over Raja Ampat is that there aren't 3-4 dive boats lined up to dive every site.
You should be so lucky at RA to "only" have 3-4 dive boats on a site. RA (IMHO) is being loved to death

@jjmochi

Re: Sangalaki - we did this land based (on Sangalaki) back when Borneo Divers used to have a small dive camp on the island (over 20 years ago). We've been back several times...

Sangalaki is amazing - not just because of the access to Kakaban (jellytfish lake), Derawan (whalesharks), and Maratua (threshers). The reason Sangalaki is so different is because of the large, resident population of manta rays (they are there all year). In a week of diving you may see 7-8, or you may get to see the "manta parade" of 50+ animals feeding in the current (we've encountered this phenomenon on several trips). Throw in the wide variety of nudibranchs and you've got a really interesting location.

The area is so good that a number of liveaboards (including the Arenui) are starting to offer trips to the area during the shoulder season. It's being "rediscovered..."

We've always felt Sangalaki was as good as the northern Komodo region, and almost as good as parts of Raja Ampat.

It's a bit harder to get to (gotten somewhat easier recently). The island of Borneo is also quite unique.

Both Halmahera and Triton can be hit and miss. I did a two week exploratory trip through Halmahera that had the best and worst of dive sites. Best was macro. I did another one more recently that ended in Ternate and it was fantastic. Triton can get some low vis at times, but is a truly wonderful mix of diving. One advantage of both places over Raja Ampat is that there aren't 3-4 dive boats lined up to dive every site.

It's been a long time since Palau. I remember using one of the first digital SLR camera housings available it was so long ago. Anyway, it was our first Pacific trip, so it seemed so cool ... until we went to Indonesia. We never went back to Palau, but we have been to Indonesia 14 times. Just saying.
I've been back to Palau four times over the last ~20 years, and we have another trip planned next year (been to Raja Ampat 7 times as well). Palau continues to evolve...

Two types of diving available in Palau that are significantly better than what is offered in anypart of Indonesia
1. Diving during the grouper spawning at or around the full moon. The mass of fish is unmatched (except maybe for the similar experience in Fr. Polynesia), then add in the hungry bull sharks. This is an amazing experience (not really available anywhere in Indonesia).

2. Blackwater diving - few places can match the deep water that Palau has close to their reefs that allow all the pelagic critters to come up to near the surface at night (the closest I've experienced was the blackwater dive outside of Cape Kri last year). Palau is world class in this regard...

@jjmochi

Re: Sangalaki - we did this land based (on Sangalaki) back when Borneo Divers used to have a small dive camp on the island (over 20 years ago). We've been back several times...

Sangalaki is amazing - not just because of the access to Kakaban (jellytfish lake), Derawan (whalesharks), and Maratua (threshers). The reason Sangalaki is so different is because of the large, resident population of manta rays (they are there all year). In a week of diving you may see 7-8, or you may get to see the "manta parade" of 50+ animals feeding in the current (we've encountered this phenomenon on several trips). Throw in the wide variety of nudibranchs and you've got a really interesting location.

The area is so good that a number of liveaboards (including the Arenui) are starting to offer trips to the area during the shoulder season. It's being "rediscovered..."

We've always felt Sangalaki was as good as the northern Komodo region, and almost as good as parts of Raja Ampat.

It's a bit harder to get to (gotten somewhat easier recently). The island of Borneo is also quite unique.
The last time we were there on March and July 2023, there were only one resort called Sangalaki Resort and also the turtle hatchery on the Sangalaki Island.

As for the mantas, we had no luck in both trips only 1 or 2 sightings of them underwater. On surface feeding about 3 -4 of them. The dive guides tells it is used to what you have described "manta parade" about 50 of them however it was probably about 10 years ago and rarely seen lately. Lucky you if you have been back during the last few years or so and still see them manta parade!

It is being "rediscovered" lately due to the school of barracudas dive at Maratua the dive site called Big Fish Country (The Channel) or at Kakaban called Barracuda Point. Big Fish Country site is having it's moment now because of the schooling barracuda that attracts not only scuba divers but free divers too. Barracuda Point is a world class dive site and it is my top 10 dives so far in Indonesia. It is a dive site not to be missed but also challenging. Also there have been thresher sharks sightings quite frequently adding to rediscovered factor.

To be honest, during our both times there recently in the past year there were no reef sharks spotted or even schooling fishes (except for the barracudas) which can be seen very frequently in Komodo. So I wouldn't put diving in Sangalaki, Kakaban and Maratua in the basket of as good as North Komodo region like Castle Rock or Crystal Rock.

The last time we were there on March and July 2023, there were only one resort called Sangalaki divers and also the turtle hatchery on the Sangalaki Island.

As for the mantas, we had no luck in both trips only 1 or 2 sightings of them underwater. On surface feeding about 3 -4 of them. The dive guides tells it is used to what you have described "manta parade" about 50 of them however it was probably about 10 years ago and rarely seen lately. Lucky you if you have been back during the last few years or so and still see them manta parade!

It is being "rediscovered" lately due to the school of barracudas dive at Maratua the dive site called Big Fish Country (The Channel) or at Kakaban called Barracuda Point. Big Fish Country site is having it's moment now because of the schooling barracuda that attracts not only scuba divers but free divers too. Barracuda Point is a world class dive site and it is my top 10 dives so far in Indonesia. It is a dive site not to be missed but also challenging. Also there have been thresher sharks sightings quite frequently adding to rediscovered factor.

To be honest, during our both times there recently in the past year there were no reef sharks spotted or even schooling fishes (except for the barracudas) which can be seen very frequently in Komodo. So I wouldn't put diving in Sangalaki, Kakaban and Maratua in the basket of as good as North Komodo region like Castle Rock or Crystal Rock.

Yep, same here, no more manta in Sangalaki when I was there in August 2022.

However, the schooling of Barracuda in Maratua was incredible.

And Whaleshark in Tali Sayang,

Of course you don’t want to miss the jellyfish lake of Kakaban.

The last time we were there on March and July 2023, there were only one resort called Sangalaki Resort and also the turtle hatchery on the Sangalaki Island.

the mantas are very much (now) hit or miss. I had a friend who did 10 dives around Sangalaki about 2 months ago - no mantas on 9 of the dives. And about 20 on the last one (happened in the afternoon, right at the full moon).

The school of barracudas are mostly always there... we dove with them (for multiple dives) each time we've been in the area, only missed finding them once (in ~10+ dives).

We don't dive Indonesia for sharks - reef sharks (even in healthy numbers like in northern Raja Ampat) just aren't that interesting. If you're looking for sharks, try Cocos Island, Galapagos, or French Polynesia (or even places like Pohnpei). I'll agree that schooling fish are better in Wakatobi, with better vis. that Raja Ampat. However, Sangalaki is much better for nudis than Wakatobi or most of the Raja Ampat region.

The North Komodo Region is very good, however it's way too crowded. I was there last summer on the Arenui - 2-3 LoBs dropping off divers on almost every site.

Worth mentioning - the Borneo Divers dive camp on Sangalaki shut down years ago. The turtles would lay their eggs under the huts virtually every night. We would watch the hatchlings from multiple nests make their way to the water around the full moon. That's why there is a turle hatchery on the island now - it's where turtles have been nesting for millenia.

the mantas are very much (now) hit or miss. I had a friend who did 10 dives around Sangalaki about 2 months ago - no mantas on 9 of the dives. And about 20 on the last one (happened in the afternoon, right at the full moon).

The school of barracudas are mostly always there... we dove with (for multiple dives) each time we've been in the area, only missed finding them once (in ~10+ dives).

We don't dive Indonesia for sharks - reef sharks (even in healthy numbers like in northern Raja Ampat) just aren't that interesting. If you're looking for sharks, try Cocos Island, Galapagos, or French Polynesia (or even places like Pohnpei). I'll agree that schooling fish are better in Wakatobi, with better vis. that Raja Ampat. However, Sangalaki is much butter for nudis than Wakatobi or most of the Raja Ampat region.

The North Komodo Region is very good, however it's way too crowded. I was there last summer on the Arenui - 2-3 LoBs dropping off divers on almost every site.

Worth mentioning - the Borneo Divers dive camp on Sangalaki shut down years ago. The turtles would lay their eggs under the huts virtually every night. We would watch the hatchlings from multiple nests make their way to the water around the full moon. That's why there is a turle hatchery on the island now - it's where turtles have been nesting for millenia.
I think most divers knows that Indonesia is not for interesting sharks and I didn’t meant to see these interesting sharks.
What I meant is that the presence of sharks that represents a healthy and balance marine diversity :)

Komodo is unlike Raja Ampat in terms of number of divers and the size of the area. The ease to getting there compare to Raja also is also one of the reasons why there are more divers visiting. Being said that, sometimes popular dive sites in Raja Ampat sometimes do have more than 3 dive boats at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom