Tropical Storm Durian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
@caloy: hope myra's relatives are ok.

my hs batch is starting a drive for clothes and goods, we'll be sending mainly to albay i think. poor people :shakehead
I sure hope so...my in-laws are going there this weekend to assess the damage, if any. I'll send some relief goods their way.

jonix:
@caloy: hope myra's relatives are ok.

my hs batch is starting a drive for clothes and goods, we'll be sending mainly to albay i think. poor people :shakehead
or you can send them through GK, kuya jon...

Here's what I got regarding Myra's home province -

90% of homes damaged as ‘Reming’ batters Marinduque

Storm’s wrath ‘worse than Marcopper disaster’

By Delfin Mallari Jr., Philip Tubeza
Inquirer

(UPDATE) APPEALING for help, Marinduque Governor Carmencita Reyes said on Friday that the sheer magnitude of Reming’s devastation on her island province was worse than Marcopper mining disaster in 1996.

“I appeal to every Filipino in a position to help in any way the affected residents of my beloved province. In my almost 30 years of public service I have never seen so much destruction,” Reyes said in a statement. “The Marcopper mining tragedy 10 years ago seems like a passing afternoon drizzle compared with Reming's fury.’’

The Marcopper mining tragedy was considered as the country’s worst industrial pollution disaster after 1.6 million cubic meters of tailings were released into the 26-kilometer long Makulapnit and Boac rivers in Tapian, Marinduque.

On Thursday, the province bore the brunt of a direct hit from Reming, which destroyed or damaged up to 90 percent of all the homes in the province, said the governor’s son, Marinduque Representative Edmund Reyes.

Marinduque consists of the municipalities of Boac, Buenavista, Gasan, Mogpog, Sta. Cruz, and Torrijos.

He said the Department of Social Welfare and Development reported that more than 40,000 families were affected.

Representative Reyes asked for assistance for “this unprecedented catastrophe’’ during the National Disaster Coordinating Council conference Friday that was presided over by President Macapagal-Arroyo.

“Being an island province, help from the outside will come in more slowly and in smaller quantities because of transportation limitations. I am here to appeal to my more fortunate countrymen to send help as soon as possible so that we can save as many lives as possible,” he added.

“Widespread crop destruction and damage to fishing boats has affected the livelihood of almost the entire population,’’ Reyes said in a statement.

“Thousands of people in various evacuation centers need food and clothing. Since electricity will not be restored for weeks and even months in some areas, access to safe drinking water is an urgent concern.,’’ he added.

Thus far, only two persons were reported hurt. Irma Reyes, a member of Governor Reyes’ staff, said in a phone interview that a certain Inez Lasac, a resident of Boac town, was hurt when hollow blocks fell on her. A still unidentified person from Janagdong, Mogpog town, was injured when hit by a falling tree. The two are confined in different hospitals.

Ms. Reyes said they were still trying to gather reports on casualties from different municipalities.

"Most of the trees fell [down] in Marinduque. Only a few were left standing. The place looks as if [bowler] Paeng Nepomuceno has just finished practicing there,” said Representative Reyes.

"Most of the roads around Marinduque have become impassable due to fallen trees and scattered branches. What the province urgently needs now are power saws and heavy equipment to immediately clear the roads," he said in a mobile phone interview from Manila, where he has been getting feedback from his staff about the situation in his province.

"Our people need food, especially canned goods, housing materials and all the help that we can have from the national government during this critical period," the solon said.

He lamented that the prevailing bad weather conditions were hampering relief operations from mainland Luzon as sea and air travel to Marinduque remained suspended by the Philippine Coast Guard and the Air Transportation Office.

"There is no way to get there except by sea and air travel. But there is still no clearance from concerned government agencies. The government has to rush the delivery of every help that it can bring," Reyes said.

His report was confirmed in Marinduque by Irma Reyes.

"Most of the trees, coconut trees, have fallen under the fury of typhoon Reming. The transport of relief goods to affected areas has been very difficult," she said.

She added Governor Reyes, along with members of the provincial disaster and coordinating council, were in Buenavista town, the worst affected, distributing relief goods to typhoon victims.

I'm not starting a fund or something here....

I-NSC, you may want to start a thread for Ticao...

iris_ice:
or you can send them through GK, kuya jon...

no need. the drive is only for our batchmates' donations, a classmate of mine will be flying to albay this weekend i think. he's with the air force pilot and he'll be the one to deliver our donations directly to the regional disaster office.

We have just birthed another little gift for you guys....

got our butts kicked last night and today (no diving....)

well, not butts kicked but lots of wind and rain, some trees down etc...

Off on its way to Cebu now... hopefully won't get so powerful as the last one

200625W.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom