Tropical Wall Diving from the beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a particular dive op that you can recommend for this? The lovely folks at Buddy Dive really wanted me to dive with a buddy, but I don't have a self-reliant/solo card, so maybe it's different if you have one.
I've always typed out my own solo certification on an index card. It indicates that I did my first solo dive in 1963, long before most agency certifiers were born, even before some of their parents were born. I did my next approximately 200 dives solo, most at night in NJ inlets for lobster. I did my first buddy dive during an interesting but lengthy NASDS certification in 1972, when shops began requiring the card before they'd fill your tanks. I subsequently dived now and then with a group of friends, most of whom are either dead or the recliner chair grandkids picture showing equivalent.

Most of the more than thousand dives I've done in my life were solo. Even the cattle boats I mostly dive on now when on holiday are semi-solo because I refuse to be paired and frequently swim off on my own, not where the dive master leads. I'm paying, so I do what I want. Too many divers act like children being watched over by an adult, afraid to get scolded. I just laugh at post-dive unkind words. They conclude I must be suffering from a touch of senile dementia and sometimes assign a young assistant to follow behind me. I usually surface with more air than these kids.

I'll be damned if some twentysomething whose been diving for a few short years is going to tell me it's ok to do what I've been doing since back when the Caribbean was still beautiful and uncrowded. All my inlet and jetty dives up north are solo, every one. I can go diving whenever I want to, and not have to get involved with anyone's issues, schedules, forgotten gear, clumsiness, air consumption, car problems, or spousal disputes.

Cane Bay, St. Croix
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 (A lot has changed in terms of dive op.s/locations since I was there).

I did the shore dive at Cane Bay and at Davis Bay, once each; both were long swim outs, but Cane Bay particularly so (though I was pleased at what nice looking reef it had). Loved St. Croix, but not where I'd go to only do shore diving.

I've always typed out my own solo certification on an index card. It indicates that I did my first solo dive in 1963, long before most agency certifiers were born, even before some of their parents were born. I did my next approximately 200 dives solo, most at night in NJ inlets for lobster. I did my first buddy dive during an interesting but lengthy NASDS certification in 1972, when shops began requiring the card before they'd fill your tanks. I subsequently dived now and then with a group of friends, most of whom are either dead or the recliner chair grandkids picture showing equivalent.

Most of the more than thousand dives I've done in my life were solo. Even the cattle boats I mostly dive on now when on holiday are semi-solo because I refuse to be paired and frequently swim off on my own, not where the dive master leads. I'm paying, so I do what I want. Too many divers act like children being watched over by an adult, afraid to get scolded. I just laugh at post-dive unkind words. They conclude I must be suffering from a touch of senile dementia and sometimes assign a young assistant to follow behind me. I usually surface with more air than these kids.

I'll be damned if some twentysomething whose been diving for a few short years is going to tell me it's ok to do what I've been doing since back when the Caribbean was still beautiful and uncrowded. All my inlet and jetty dives up north are solo, every one. I can go diving whenever I want to, and not have to get involved with anyone's issues, schedules, forgotten gear, clumsiness, air consumption, car problems, or spousal disputes.

Forget what I said earlier. I’d dive w this guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom