True cost of ownership?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you do your own maintenance on your regs, the pony reg will cost much more with respect to TCO than the pony tank itself.......

That being said, my $65 year ($25/stage on reg and $15 tank vis) is cheap insurance and buys me a lot of peace of mind, so it is money very well spent.......

When I go for a dive weekend in the St. Lawrence River my darling bride always asks if I have my pony..........can't put a price on that...........

Hope this helps.......M

If you're planning on having your cylinder O2 cleaned, that usually costs an extra $30-$50 on top of the VIP every year.

Nitrox fills and O2 clean...........for a pony?

I get it for a stage or deco bottle.............

What mix would you keep in tank?

Would you drain and fill for each new dive based on profile?

Am I missing something?

M

Well just to throw a curve ball into the equation.

Here is SA, if you rent a tank for a dive it costs you about R50 (~$6) to hire a filled tank.

Now surely this "hiring cost" has to be offset against costs of maintaining your personal tank?
Purely because you have to be able to compare the difference between owning and renting.

Work out the cost of renting over a year vs. owning and using a tank. Do the maths and see where the two compare.

Well just to throw a curve ball into the equation.

Here is SA, if you rent a tank for a dive it costs you about R50 (~$6) to hire a filled tank.

Now surely this "hiring cost" has to be offset against costs of maintaining your personal tank?
Purely because you have to be able to compare the difference between owning and renting.

Work out the cost of renting over a year vs. owning and using a tank. Do the maths and see where the two compare.

That's the tangible savings part.

To put a fine point on it you need to consider that most rental prices are for a filled cylinder. If rentals are $15 a day and fills are $5 then you put $10 in your pocket when you rent a tank for a 1 dive day.

Pete

That's the tangible savings part.

To put a fine point on it you need to consider that most rental prices are for a filled cylinder. If rentals are $15 a day and fills are $5 then you put $10 in your pocket when you rent a tank for a 1 dive day.

Pete

Well there you have it!
By owning your own tank, you'll save a very tangible $10 per dive over renting a tank.
So, if you do a couple of dives a month then these savings can definitely offset the costs of maintaining your own tanks.

Now there's the answer to that "curve ball" question. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom