Truk and an aborted Trip - Thanks United

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not fly them in the future. If there is no other airline flying there, find a different destination. When people start to avoid airlines with bad service they go out of business soon enough.

When flying on Europe based airlines there is an obligation for the carrier to take care of their passengers. Only things that are really unforeseen can be an excuse, like a volcano erupting.

Whenever I can I fly an Asian airline, far better service, and actually friendly staff.

Again, in the future , avoid Us based airlines as they are just terrible.

Even if dive tourists dropped off the island hopper route, it would still be packed with military types. United knows this. And they fully take advantage of the fact that they've been the only operator. Which is understandable - to a point.

For the record, as of June, Air Nauru has taken up flying to some of the islands on the United island hopper route (Nauru – Tarawa – Majuro – Kosrae – Pohnpei) with same day connections to Brisbane, so that gives United at least some​ competition in the region. It doesn't go to Truk at this point, still leaving United the only option, but I suspect it's in the plans.

Weather related incidents are typically not covered by airlines in the US. While the reasoning of this rule whenever it started might have been understood, it has now become quite the excuse in airline ops to blame any problems on weather and unfortunately many passengers suffer from it. I've had a few times where weather was great at departure and destination, but "delays to the inbound aircraft" were stated as cause. (rolls eyes) And many do not realize the issue, like you mentioned, until after landing and seeing the other good options taken. I do think they would have the obligation to try and get you there faster if it was, for example, in the US, but as is I think UA have the only flights to Truk that make sense. Just stuck waiting I guess.

Although no help for you immediately in getting to Truk, you might look at any travel insurance you have or your credit card provides on purchases. Some credit cards are better about this than others. Also there are "trip in vain" rules, where you can just insist on being flown back to your origin and refunded your flights. I am not sure of the impact on weather in that case, though, as I have not come upon it myself although I travel a lot. You can also write to United, which you might choose to avoid after this, and they might give you a voucher for a future flight. Although due to weather they are not obligated, sometimes if you are kind and explain it rationally they will throw you a bone. I can't think of any liability they have for non-refundable reservations in this case, but I'll take a look.

Sorry for your trouble.

Edit to add: I do see that the visibility was low and clouds down to 900 ft with heavy rain at Truk. So while the aftermath is unfortunate, I do think UA was proper in getting the plane safely on the ground. These small island hopper routes would be nice on a 777, but honestly UA already has to get subsidies to make these routes economical in a 737, and they simply don't have the fuel to wait out big storms while circling.

Chuuk is too small for a 777.

UA does not get subsidies. They pay huge taxes and landing fees, unlike foreign carriers which are subsidized.

---------- Post added July 17th, 2015 at 09:18 PM ----------

Do not fly them in the future. If there is no other airline flying there, find a different destination. When people start to avoid airlines with bad service they go out of business soon enough.

When flying on Europe based airlines there is an obligation for the carrier to take care of their passengers. Only things that are really unforeseen can be an excuse, like a volcano erupting.

Whenever I can I fly an Asian airline, far better service, and actually friendly staff.

Again, in the future , avoid Us based airlines as they are just terrible.
That's hysterical considering the safety record of airlines in Mexico where you are from. In 2010 their safety record was downgraded. They just recently regain their rating back and it looks like they are going to loose it again. Airlines from Mexico don't even make the top 50. Here are the top 10 safest airlines.

• Qantas
  • Air New Zealand
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific Airways
  • Emirates
  • Etihad Airways
  • EVA Air
  • Finnair
  • Lufthansa
  • Singapore Airlines
  • It’s also important to note that, despite the fact that no U.S. airlines made the top ten, the major U.S. airlines did pretty well overall.

---------- Post added July 17th, 2015 at 09:47 PM ----------

Even if dive tourists dropped off the island hopper route, it would still be packed with military types. United knows this. And they fully take advantage of the fact that they've been the only operator. Which is understandable - to a point.

For the record, as of June, Air Nauru has taken up flying to some of the islands on the United island hopper route (Nauru – Tarawa – Majuro – Kosrae – Pohnpei) with same day connections to Brisbane, so that gives United at least some​ competition in the region. It doesn't go to Truk at this point, still leaving United the only option, but I suspect it's in the plans.

Nope very few "military types" travel the island hopper out of Guam. The military takes the direct flight from HNL to GUM and back. If they want to go to Johnston or Kwajelein they rarely go through GUM. Most of the Chuuk traffic and onward is locals and contractor types. Most of the money is made in cargo. If there were no passengers they would probably still make money. The reason United and previously Continental have done so well in the islands is because they are so loved. They have taken care of the locals for many a year. Continental Micronesia "Air Mike"now know as United was probably the single most important factor in the development of what were once remote and isolated islands in the Pacific.They are the life blood of these islands. They are also the "air ambulance" for many a patient that must go to Honolulu for medical care. The locals don't forget what that airline has done for there world.

You are making me laugh. Are you talking about the Air Nauru that lacks modern safety equipment and diligent staff. Air Nauru also flies to many other places where safety standards are low – Tarawa in Kiribati, Honiara in Solomon Islands and Norfolk Island. Any landing or take off accident at these places could be catastrophic. On top of this the airline’s record on maintenance has been poor. In 1998 Air Nauru was grounded by Australia’s aviation safety authority and little has changed in the airlines attitude since that time. Their schedule has been a joke for years. They fly when they want and they cancel when they want. They are on many black lists of major airlines for their crews. In other words the Majors won't put their crews on Air Nauru. Yes, they are going to give United Airlines a run for their money. ROTLMAO

Can you point out where I said it was a good option? Seriously. Stop putting words in people's mouths.

It's an alternative to United. I said nothing more than that.

As for the military, we actually had quite a few on our flight out of Guam - I was speaking to them at the airport before we boarded. They get put on the island hopper when the direct flights to/from HNL are sold out.

• It’s also important to note that, despite the fact that no U.S. airlines made the top ten, the major U.S. airlines did pretty well overall.

Interestingly enough, Lufthansa is the only airline on that list that comes close to rivaling any of the major US carriers in fleet size. It doesn't surprise me that US airlines are out of the top 10 when competing with airlines with only 10-20% of the amount of airframes.

We have to let it go, let it go, let it go, let it go, let it go

Lets go diving!

We have to let it go, let it go, let it go, let it go, let it go

Lets go diving!

That is the problem, we let the airlines off the hook for too long and now we are now reaping what we have sown.

For the purposes of this thread however. I agree.

Can you point out where I said it was a good option? Seriously. Stop putting words in people's mouths.

It's an alternative to United. I said nothing more than that.

As for the military, we actually had quite a few on our flight out of Guam - I was speaking to them at the airport before we boarded. They get put on the island hopper when the direct flights to/from HNL are sold out.
Can you point out where I said that? Who's putting words in people's mouths?

Air Nauru is not an alternative to United. They don't fly to any of the islands served by the island hopper.

The military is a minuscule portion of the passenger load on the island hopper.

Now, let it go. I tire of this thread. I am moving on.

Back
Top Bottom