Truk and an aborted Trip - Thanks United

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that we've been taking only one (2-week) dive trip a year we have been planning the second week as the major dive week. For example, we are going to the Caymans this fall and the first week will be on Grand Cayman and the second on Little Cayman. We plan to snorkel and shore dive and maybe a few boat dives (depending on weather) and just relax and enjoy GC the first week and then spend most of the second week diving on LC.

This isn't just because of possible delays, lost luggage, and trip interruptions - although it does give us a cushion - but mostly for our own health and recuperation. If you get the chance I highly recommend giving yourself some extra time.

Too often in the past we booked a trip on a tight schedule, worked like crazy to the very last minute, got up at 3 am to get to the airport and get on the plane, arrived around lunch and then headed out for an afternoon dive. But in reality we were exhausted, and one or the other of us usually got a head cold and ear infection because we were overworked stressed, and sleep-deprived - and had been breathing nasty recycled airplane air. And sometimes this limited our diving opportunities and the trip was disappointing.

Now we try to give ourselves some time for relaxation and a chance to enjoy the new location; and although it means we get to visit fewer dive destinations, it is cheaper because we only have to pay for roundtrip air once and we have a better chance to enjoy the local culture, people, sites, and amenities. In some locations, the hotels and diving are fairly inexpensive but the airfare is very high, so spending a little more time at the location just makes sense - at least to us. You also have a better chance of finding good weather during a 2 week span.

If we go to someplace like Bonaire, we take the unlimited shore diving package for 2 weeks but we take our time the first couple of days and don't immediately rush out to the reef and we start doing boat dives later.

When we get the chance we also take other, non-dive trips or local trips during the year. This system may not be for everybody but it has been working for us. If you can't do 2 weeks, try to add on a couple/few days at the front of your trip just for peace of mind and relaxation.

I remember that last year someone on this board (husband and wife) had planned the "trip of a lifetime" to dive the Galapagos on a liveaboard and luckily they had given themselves a couple of days in advance in Ecuador. That turned out to be a very good thing and they just made it on time. Their flights were delayed and cancelled because of that sabotage fire in a remote O'Hare flight control center. I am sure that it would have been a terrible disappointment if they had missed the boat.

Last edited:
My beef with United is attitude and passenger risk.

I believe the pilot did the right thing in flying on and not trying another approach, however it begs the question, why so small amount of reserve fuel? Did this mean had we missed the next island due to bad weather, we could then not make Hawaii? Would we have been another Malaysian airliner disaster? I know why airlines don't fly with full tanks, and maybe a headwind ate up more fuel than they had planned for, however its not the first time they have flown this route. We also do have world wide weather reports. Its not something I expected to encounter. Not being able to land due to bad weather, yes. Running low on fuel on a normal leg, no. It doesn't instil confidence in me.

I am not upset with United that they had to drop us at Pohnpei, that's just bad luck. I understand that they didn't have sufficient seats for everyone the same day. I also understand that the next day they could not get everyone on. They however promised to look at a rescue flight given the number of passengers (70) and the remoteness of the place and few flights, however I personally don't believe this ever was a serious option that was going to happen. Its not that the disaster happened, its how you handle the aftermath that matters most. The reps first words were to convince everyone that the WERE NOT paying for accommodation.

How about something novel, the truth and some reassurance that they are doing something. We stupidly made the assumption the airline would take care of us by providing direction on what to do etc. After all its not the first time this has happened I am sure.

I would try something like this;

1. Rebook for future flights (locals did and got the few seats on the next flight)
2. We will keep you informed and your contact person is ???
3. We are looking into a rescue flight however its very remote as we just don't have planes laying about spare, they all fly to be profitable so usually non available.
4. There is a flight tomorrow and then non until Saturday,then one sunday evening, but spare seats are limited.
5. We can assist in getting you accommodation (however we will not be paying for it under the airline rules of bad weather).
6. For those who have not yet gotten a new flight, come down to the airport tomorrow at 9 for us to rebook

etc etc.

What people need is certainty, even if its the fact there are no seats for 2 days. At least then people can go find accommodation and shower and relax. To be in a hot humid small airport after being awake for 26 hrs, with no certainty of anything, and to be kept there for hours being strung along on the perhaps chance there might be a flight is a poor way to deal with people. Just cut the bull, be honest and let people move on to the next issue.

We then had to face the fact that there was no accommodation available for Friday evening as they are having a convention here. So are we to all sleep on the concrete floor with no food, no showers, nothing? We suggested to them that whilst they have no legal obligation to do anything, but perhaps a moral obligation given the circumstances and 70 people. They should be prepared for this given the location and risks. Its not huge cost in any way at all and certainly would be good for PR. Very easy for a bean counter in Chicago to make decisions about people stuck on a remote island with nothing available.

As I said, all of the people I spoke with had the same comments. Its how you deal with the event that matters most.

And why am I still waiting for a response from them after having my bag damaged and radio lost? I put in the claim as requested, sent a copy to Cairns airport manager and waited. After months I emailed Cairns airport but had no response from them either? Is this the normal United method, ignore the customer and they will give up?

---------- Post added June 12th, 2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

I refuse to fly Air Pacific as they refused to give me a refund on changed ticket until 12 months would pass. I had booked a $1300 ticket, but then had to change it. I was advised that it was easier to pay for the new ticket and then get a refund (from travel agent). I did so, and then the airline refused to refund the remainder after taking $500 as a cancellation fee. Their reason was that they would refund in 12 months, why, because they could. I argued for a week, and only when I threatened to have them on local TV and news via my daughter's PR company, and then court did they relent and pay up the $800. Their method was to put an 18 year old girl on the phone with no knowledge to deal with me, no guts and weak management and shame on them to expose an innocent girl to angry customers. I realised their tactic and finally got onto their accountant and explained there was a deadline of 7 days, then I would proceed and also claim the whole $1300 and my costs and associated legal costs.

I will never fly air tonga as they just cancel flights at any time because they want the aircraft somewhere else. They kick you off a flight because a local needs to fly. Even after you have confirmed tickets etc. When you then come into their office to get it sorted they simply walk outside and away and will not talk. I sat in a hotel with about 100 angry passengers who had various flights everywhere cancelled or changed. All spun different stories and given different (or non) financial reimbursement.

Does this mean I cannot go to some places, yes, and that's tough on the locals as they then don't see that money. I chose to support people and industries that try and do the right thing. Things happen, however its how you deal with it that matters (to me anyway).

Last edited:
I sympathise with your problem, having struck typhoon related delays in 1997 on a trip to Chuuk. I suspect that the United 737 would need enough fuel to fly from Guam to Chuuk and then onto Pohnpei and then back again in case of problems. It is not like US or Australia where there are alternative places to land closer. Yes, United is a crap airline, worse food and service I have ever had anywhere in the world, but then again, we have no choice but to use if you want to dive Chuuk. Insurance is the only solution.

[QUOTELiquidDivingAdventure;7430366]Many of us with tight vacation times book our flights tight with resorts and liveaboards leaving little or no room for problems. I personally do this on trips that are close in the Caribbean, but even going to the Bay Islands (Roatan & Utila) I will overnight in Houston. It's always the big "what if," what if my gear bag is lost or delayed, or what if the first leg of my flight goes bad. We see this every day. When I book divers to Indonesia, Philippines or Asia in general, I always recommend arriving a day or two early just in

I have also started offering travel insurance from my travel agent insurer, Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection. I am in the process of comparing coverage to both DAN and DiveAssure (DiveAssure more expensive than DAN). Berkshire Hathaway is a very solid company and is offering good policies which I hope will be of benefit to my dive clients. [/QUOTE]

1) Roatan, I too always stayed in Houston on the way down.

2) BerkshireHathaway you say?!! We must talk. I'm definitely interested, particularly in extra coverage for longer times away from home.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 06:25 AM ----------

Peter69_56,

You've certainly had some rotten luck from time to time. And i completely agree with your position that it's how the airline handles it that matters. Malaysian learned that the hard way. Sure hope they don't get any more reasons to use the experience nor any other airlines.

Whilst reading your last post, I couldn't help myself from remembering last month, sitting in the Tobago airport for 12 hours. There were so many of us hoping to get on a flight to Trinidad it seemed that there would definitely be a "rescue " flight. It was made much worse for us when five minutes after announcing we should prepare for the flight, we were recalled for the new announcement that there'd be no rescue flight after all because "the pilot is tired". Sigh

And also remembering the hours in the Buenos Aires airport as we all waited to learn whether or not our plane would be fixed, we weren't allowed out of a secured area and had neither food nor drink. We never did learn why it took so very long for them to at least take care of our need for fluids let alone food. The poor children. So many crying babies. :(

When you remarked on the staff walking away without comment, it made me think of how long it has taken me to accept that many other cultures will not deal with frustration/anger in a way that makes any sense to me. On occasion it is all I can do to stay calm and pretend to be relaxed. And those are the moments that it is most important for me to behave in a way that seems completely unnatural under the circumstances. Yet life lessons have proven, at least for me, that change has achieved better results in the end. Sometimes, I've felt dirty due to what to me seems like manipulation. Oh well, pretending to be sweet or pretending to not understand seems to have worked in my favor more often than not. (Now that I've confessed think I'll take a shower).

The other thing that struck me reading damselfish, KathyV and Liquid Diving Adventures posts , is that I have also learned to take extra days whenever possible, if for no other reason than to help me be relaxed and strengthen my immune system. I'm also cognizant that it's a luxury not everyone can take and it's taken a lifetime to get there.

I'm still very empathetic about your situation. I'd be heartbroken. Wishing you a turnabout in events.

Amuses me every time someone says something like this. Sure it sucks. Most airlines do, some more than others, and I can sometimes see good reasons to avoid specific airlines. But if you decide not to fly any airline where someone has had a problem like this, if not crazier, you won't have any airlines left to fly. Eliminating certain airlines will also eliminate certain destinations. In the case of United, if you had ever planned on diving in Micronesia, you'll severely restrict your options. (For the record we just did an 11 hop trip to the Pacific, 8 legs on United, and it went pretty much flawlessly.)

As far as staying in business, airlines mostly don't. Look at the history of airline bankruptcies, closures, and mergers over the years.

Yeah, thanks for the wake up. I sometimes run my fingers before my brain engages.

I was on the same flight, but managed to get out of Pohnpei the following day. I had to put a few hundreds in the back of my passport to get the United guy to get me off the standby list and get a confirmed seat. The whole thing was ridiculous.

I spoke to the pilot, and the issue wasn't actually fuel, it was pilot flying hours. If they'd gone around again at Chuuk, the pilots wouldn't have had enough hours left to make the rest of the island hops through to Honolulu and would have been forced to turn back to Guam in order to get another flight crew. United really needed to have additional crew on board to deal with situations like this where there are likely to be delays on the route.

I've already spoken to my travel insurance company via email, and they're saying they won't pay out because the delay was weather related. Force majeur exclusion applies. I'm going to call them when I get home, but I'm not holding my breath.

If trip insurance doesn't pay for delays . . .well what the heck?

If trip insurance doesn't pay for delays . . .well what the heck?

Especially when a delay ruins most or all of the trip.

Not all travel insurance policies are the same, some just cover liability or personal injury or natural disasters or whatever. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago and it put me off buying travel insurance for a long time; until I had other compelling reasons to seek insurance.

Here is a summary of the Travel Guard coverage for my upcoming trip to the Caymans and it includes trip interruption and cancellation. I've checked the description of coverage and "inclement weather" is covered as a reason for delay, interruption, and cancelation.

I took the standard package but added an optional upgrade for evacuation to the hospital of my choice.

Another travel insurance tip I've learned, I didn't need the optional "Adventure Travel" upgrade for scuba diving because it is covered under the standard package.

Attachments

• TravelGuard_2015.jpg
    TravelGuard_2015.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 292
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom