Truth Aquatics for Newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really need to plan for cold water. Most of the northern channel islands trips I go on have more than 3 out of 4 divers diving dry. That is not to say that you cannot dive wet but doing more than about three dives a day may not be realistic as your core body temperature drops. Also getting cold over the course of a dive puts you at greater risk for DCS because your peripheral circulation shuts down to a significant degree so please do dive conservatively with respect to no decompression limits. You really should plan on several local dive trips to get your exposure protection, weighting and buoyancy sorted out before committing to a multi-day trip where there may not be much opportunity to fix things that are not right. California diving can be very good but please go slowly enough to make it enjoyable for yourself.

Hi Mr C
Thanks for your post. I wondered about the Northern Isles...dry suits are definitely not of interest to me at this point! I hadn't thought about those conditions in terms of decomp. I was just thinking about a dive trip out of Sta Barbara and that woulda been cold enough for me. I appreciate the good advice =)
Lisa

IMG_2103_1.jpg

You can play with the pups in Anacapa! Anacapa has relatively shallow diving, which will make it warmer in a wetsuit.

hey lisa!!

i'm a newbie diver too, just 20 dives under my belt, and all in warm water. i'm actually going on the truth aquatics august 28-31 boat :) hoping to buy some gear this week, and maybe go for some dives on thursday or friday to get used to the very different buoyancy/weighting/etc. if you decide you're ready on such short notice, let me know, sounds like they've still got spots on the boat! otherwise, would love to meet up next time you're down in sb

everyone else - thanks for the nice tips, awesome group of people!! is anyone going on this august 28-31 boat? i'm in need of a patient buddy, and definitely interested in meeting up with people this week

- gavin :)

hey lisa!!

i'm a newbie diver too, just 20 dives under my belt, and all in warm water. i'm actually going on the truth aquatics august 28-31 boat :) hoping to buy some gear this week, and maybe go for some dives on thursday or friday to get used to the very different buoyancy/weighting/etc. if you decide you're ready on such short notice, let me know, sounds like they've still got spots on the boat! otherwise, would love to meet up next time you're down in sb

everyone else - thanks for the nice tips, awesome group of people!! is anyone going on this august 28-31 boat? i'm in need of a patient buddy, and definitely interested in meeting up with people this week

- gavin :)

Thanks, Gavin
You have a few dives on me (and I think a few can make a difference early on), and e aIi! I am in the mood for something warmer anyway. I hope you have a marvelous time, and expect to see a full report on here when you get back! If I get to SB, I'll let you know.
Go gettem!
Lisa

The Truth Aquatics boats are among my very favorite ones, especially the Vision. Much good advice has been given above regarding your dive experience being limited to tropical waters and the rigor of diving cold water. The suggestion of diving in the Monterey area to get used to the 7mm wetsuits, added weight and gear is really good advice. I didn't read through the entire thread so you may have agreed to that. The northern Channel Islands are fantastic. You mention you will have an experienced dive buddy. Is that individual experienced in cold water diving (say Monterey)? That would be a big help. If you go, enjoy the experience!

The Truth Aquatics boats are among my very favorite ones, especially the Vision. Much good advice has been given above regarding your dive experience being limited to tropical waters and the rigor of diving cold water. The suggestion of diving in the Monterey area to get used to the 7mm wetsuits, added weight and gear is really good advice. I didn't read through the entire thread so you may have agreed to that. The northern Channel Islands are fantastic. You mention you will have an experienced dive buddy. Is that individual experienced in cold water diving (say Monterey)? That would be a big help. If you go, enjoy the experience!

Hey Dr Bill
I am indeed following the counsel I've gotten here. I'm going to try it later. Everybody is saying such great things about Truth, I am really looking forward to checking them out. Thanks.
Lisa

Hey Lisa, Just an FYI, the Sea Otter Dive club is having their annual BBQ and membership drive dive tomorrow at Lover's (how can you NOT like a dive site named that) from 8:30 to 11:30ish. Here is the FB invite https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=210429959010218

--tom--

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom