Truth or Fiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsMandy227

Reaction score
I heard a rumor today from a fellow diver about a man getting attacked by a shark from behind and losing his head. Sorry it's a bit graphic. He didn't know where it happened or when, maybe it's suppose to be a sick joke. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

It wasn't a scuba diver, was a free diver.

Xanthro

Yikes! at least it was quick

California, South Africa, and Australia have "real" sharks. Not the itty bitty ones you find everywhere else. And of course, these GWSs are known to migrate wherever they want, like New Jersey (circa 1916).

Surfing, ocean swimming, and freediving seem to attract these really big sharks' attention more than scuba does.

The main issues in such an attack are (1) location and (2) activity.

I am not too worried, myself, as a scuba diver. But this incident is certainly cause for local immediate concern, regarding freediving. You should be pretty safe, in Florida.

"A bad day diving is better than a good day at work"
I guess the old bumper sticker is not valid anymore.

Hyper-limits:
"A bad day diving is better than a good day at work"
I guess the old bumper sticker is not valid anymore.

Not true.

A lot more people died at work last year than the 5 that died from shark attacks!

DandyDon:
Not true.

A lot more people died at work last year than the 5 that died from shark attacks!
Absolutely right I'm about to die from boredom at work.
time to take the rest of the day off and take my chance in the water.

Back
Top Bottom