Tubbataha LOB Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StubbornRussian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I did three weeks in the Philippines last year - Malapascua - Sogod Bay - Bohol and it was the best trip we have ever had. Looking for some advice on a follow up during the month of May.

Rough itinerary would be something like
Fly in to Manila
1 week in Anilao at Club Ocellaris
Fly to Puerto Princesa
1 day of wreck diving
6 or 7 night LOB to Tubbataha

Our LOB budget is about 2500 pp. The Stella Maris Explorer fits into our budget and I love the fact that it has a hot tub but despite all recent reviews being positive the boat seems nearly completely unbooked save for a couple of trips. Any input on this boat? Other LOB suggestions appreciated. Any other itinerary suggestions are welcome. This would be our first liveaboard experience. Thank you!

My wife and I did three weeks in the Philippines last year - Malapascua - Sogod Bay - Bohol and it was the best trip we have ever had. Looking for some advice on a follow up during the month of May.

Rough itinerary would be something like
Fly in to Manila
1 week in Anilao at Club Ocellaris
Fly to Puerto Princesa
1 day of wreck diving
6 or 7 night LOB to Tubbataha

Our LOB budget is about 2500 pp. The Stella Maris Explorer fits into our budget and I love the fact that it has a hot tub but despite all recent reviews being positive the boat seems nearly completely unbooked save for a couple of trips. Any input on this boat? Other LOB suggestions appreciated. Any other itinerary suggestions are welcome. This would be our first liveaboard experience. Thank you!

All Star Stella Maris is new to our fleet. We do still have several weeks with availability for 2019, but the space is filling in quickly. Our economy cabins are priced at $2,080 plus $270 in permit/fees. This includes accommodations, meals, beverages, local ground transfers, even free nitrox. There is a hot tub onboard and the boat has a large sundeck with both shaded and direct sun lounging options.

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have or call our office 954-734-7111.
kevin@allstarliveaboards.com
www.allstarliveaboards.com/philippines

Have a look at the Discovery fleet boats as well. They are a lot bigger than the Stella Maris boat. I have been on the Discovery Palawan boat a couple of times and it has been great. it is not far from your budget as well.

Have a look at the Discovery fleet boats as well. They are a lot bigger than the Stella Maris boat. I have been on the Discovery Palawan boat a couple of times and it has been great. it is not far from your budget as well.

2nd the Discovery Palawan. It is within your budget. We paid about that per person. I was just on it. The crew is great and the food is AMAZING. It was the largest boat out there. It’s so big, it doesn’t ever moor and just runs 24 hours a day. We had some rough water the first day or day and a half. Other boats were really listing side to side and in speaking with other people at the ranger station, folks were feeling sick. We had a few pukers on our boat but overall, I was glad to be on such a large ship because it really made it much better for that and the open water crossing.

We looked at the Stella Maris as well as Seadoors and Discovery Adventure.

I did a write up and review of my trip if you do a search for Discovery Palawan.

Edited to add: I would write off the hot tub. Honestly, doing 4 dives a day and repetitive diving for a week doesn’t lend itself to hot tubs. You can potentially ncrease your risk for DCS. I wouldn’t go in it. I have a friend whose DM went in after diving and got hit. It’s not worth it.....

What is Decompression: Hot Tubs After Diving — Medical Dive Article — DAN | Divers Alert Network

Is there wreck diving near Puerto Princesa?

I met a couple diving the wrecks in Coron (not particularly close to PP) that went on the Stella Maris and said it was wonderful - great crew, great mix of people, good service and obviously some great diving (though they didn't see everything I saw on my LOB but I would never recommend that boat).

I was always taught to stay away from hot tubs, hot showers and massages while diving due to the increased risk of DCS. Profiles in Tubbataha can be quite deep (especially if you want to see the hammers!) and you will not want to miss a dive so definitely gotta be careful. I am sure you will have a wonderful time regardless of which LOB you choose - it was the definite highlight of my time in the Philippines!

Palau Sport is matches your budget $ exc extras such as night dives, nitrox, $100 park fees. Great crew, good size vessel if/when it gets rough on the crossing. But ... only 4 spot left for 2019! David W Choy - M/Y Palausport Philippines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom