Tubbataha on board Expedition fleet (MY Stella Maris Explorer)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I participated in the MV Stella Maris trip to Tubbataha Reef from 9-15 April. This is our trip report. To start with, we have never been on a live aboard before so deliberately chose one that seemed comfortable and were prepared to spend the money to get it right. We had been planning to dive Tubbataha for at least four years and the opportunity for us arose at the same time that MV Stella Maris was re-launched for this dive season after a full re-fit. To start with, our booking and pre-trip administration were handled very professionally and helpfully, all by e-mail from their office. No problem was too big and every question we put to them was answered quickly and politely. They were a pleasure to deal with. On arrival in Puerto Princesa we were greeted by the crew at the airport and taken to the vessel where we got the bad news - we were prevented from departing that evening as the Coast Guard had banned all departures due to a low pressure system on the other side of the country. No judgement here about the Coast Guard - it was non-negotiable. The boat manager offered all of us (9 passenger divers) the option of waiting another day to see if the weather dropped and the ban was lifted or pulling out and exercising a credit later for the unused diving days. One pulled out and the rest of us stayed on. The boat manager arranged a tour for the next day to see the underground river which was a great way to pass the day and better than feeling sorry for ourselves aboard a moored vessel. During our tour the great news came through that we would sail that night; one day later than planned. So, some diving is better than no diving, non? The boat manager briefed us on the passage out and offered us the opportunity to dive a more intense four dives/day program to make up for the lost day and we all voted to do that so lost no dives. It was intense and fantastic. The boat manager and crew did a great job. The food was good and plentiful, the cabins were newly re-furbished, the gear was in good condition, the crew were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful with information and hard work. My wife had her birthday aboard and the crew managed to help me surprise her by providing flowers and a cake in the middle of the Sulu Sea. She couldn't believe it when the whole ship's complement surprised her on the top deck after dinner with the cake and sang happy birthday to her. Thanks not only to the crew but the truly wonderful company of the other divers who were a pleasure to sail and dive with. My view was that the trip could not have been better and I can't recommend this trip highly enough. I can't comment on the past but the new owner's investment in the re-fit and the boat manager's commitment to providing excellent diving deserve a serious commendation. Among other things, we saw sharks every day including in my case an oceanic white tip of around 3.5 m and a whale shark of about 12-15 m. I hope that helps answer some of the questions above about MV Stella Maris' new lease of life.

Hi all,

I would also like to commend the team behind the MV Stella Maris. I was on-board from April 16 to 22 this year and it was also my first liveaboard experience. I'm a solo female traveller aged 26, and I can't speak highly enough about the quality of service and the amazing experience I had on my trip to Tubbataha reef. It was definitely worth the money I paid.

Firstly, the accommodations were great with air-conditioned rooms, hot shower bathrooms and proper flushing toilets. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a Deluxe suite. The rooms are very spacious and the beds were super comfy with memory foam pillows. Each morning whilst we were on our first dive of the day the crew would come into our rooms to make our beds and clean the bathrooms. It was like being at a hotel, and I didn't expect it.

After each dive the crew were super helpful with cleaning our gear and providing us with fresh towels. The crew were all about safety first, which was great because for a novice diver like myself it made me feel a lot more confident going on this trip. The crew are experts in all the dives spots and gave us dive briefings about the area and what type of marine life we could potentially see. It was also great to see that the crew felt very passionate about the reef and its conservation, and that they weren't just a typical travel corporation trying to make money whilst exploiting the environment.

The food on-board was unexpectedly great too. I have several dietary requirements and Anthony (who was in charge of all our meals) was very accommodating of my needs including getting me special gluten free snacks and making sure the chef set aside a special meal for me. One night we had lasagne, and Anthony had asked the chef to make a special one for me without cheese due to my lactose intolerance. I was never hungry whilst aboard the MV Stella Maris, and we had such a great selection of food available to us - the spicy beef ribs were one of my favourite dishes alongside the crab!

I also did my advanced PADI and nitrox certifications whilst on my trip and my instructor Colin who was also the boat manager was great. He made me feel incredibly save and confident even though I was youngest and most inexperienced diver on board. As I was unable to complete all the theory prior to coming aboard, Colin went through each knowledge area step by step and helped me understand all the concepts. I even got seasick on the second day aboard and Colin made sure that I was okay even when I started throwing up underwater, and gave me tips on how to overcome it.

I have to admit when I first made the decision to go with Expedition Fleet I was a bit unsure as to how well the experience would go because there were no reviews about the company, and I usually rely quite heavily on travel reviews via websites such as TripAdvisor and social media such as Facebook. But after having the experience I'd definitely book with them again for another diving trip in the Philippines! Janet, Colin, Kwatz, Nori, Anthony and the rest of the MV Stella Maris crew were really great and I can't thank them enough for the wonderful holiday I had. I met some really nice people and had a great time on board enjoying the diving site of Tubbataha Reef.

If you are considering going to visit this area to dive, I would really encourage you to consider MV Stella Maris. And if you have any questions (of which I had many!) Janet is really helpful in answering them and if she doesn't know the answers to the more technical ones, she's more than happy to put you in touch with one of the other crew members to assist.

Happy diving!

Glad to hear that the new management is doing a good job. My brother and I did a Stella Maris liveaboard to Tubbataha about 5 years ago and both the boat and the crew were ok in some departments but had mediocre quality not worth the high price in other departments. (Diving was generally very good, though.) Tubbataha is a real treasure, so it's good that the Stella Maris has been renovated and is under good management.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom