Tuesday Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a beautiful day on Puget Sound!!!

Air temp was only 54F but with the sun beating down getting into the drysuit wasn't something I wanted to prolong. Fortunately it really doesn't take us long to get going once we hit the parking lot... and the water is only steps away.

Todays dive was at the usual Tuesday site near the ferry landing... it is close easy access but next week we have decided to do something different.

The water is starting to warm up (El Nino) and was 54F at the surface and 50F at the deepest point of the dive. With the warmer water and the sun comes the plankton bloom and it was soup for the first 25' feet.

Knowing this we swam out a hundred feet or so and dropped where we could get below the soupy layer right away.

I was diving double steel 72s with 1500psi of EAN32 and Curt had his usual AL80 of tire filler.

We swam on down to 120'~130' and hung around for a while looking for octopus... found none but did see rockfish and ling cod. We then swam up a small rise to the Troll and followed the ridge NE.

Now on the surface the current was doing what it was supposed to... coming in from the SW... but from the minute we had descended we were fighting a current coming from the NE!

So essentially the whole dive (except for the last little bit) was against the current!!

We putzed around looking for bricks and octopus when I spotted a beautiful Cabezon... I had never seen one mottle itself in such a way. The Cabby didn't seem to pay any attention to me nor to the dungeness crabs that were fighting nearby... even when their tussle sent them racing over the Cabby's back.

I don't think I've ever seen such a mellow Cabezon. Looking closer I could see that a large red rock crab was hiding under a rock directly behind the Cabby... it actually looked trapped but I'm sure it wasn't.

As we turn the direction of the dive the current flow had slowed but was still enough to gently move us back without a lot of effort. We had to stay under 25' though as above that the plankton soup was thick.

At the exit point we finally moved on up to 15' were Curt did his safety stop and I did what I do :D. Then I moved on up to 10' and finally 5' to assess my weighting.

This is the first chance I have had with these little tanks to see just how much weight I need... and now that I had them down to 450psi and in 5' of water I wanted to do it.

I had an 8# weight belt on so I took it off and laid it on the bottom. With all the air out of my suit and wing I was still negative! That means my 6# SS plate with 10#V weight between the doubles was plenty sufficient without using a weight belt.

OR that I could remove the V weight and use an 8#~10# belt.

This made me very happy. :D

As we got out of the water some other divers said that a Gray Whale had gone by and that while we were at the deep spot a seal had gone down (presumably) to check us out. We didn't see him but I'm sure he saw us. :D

The dive was 128' max 58 min. and my SAC .43 (as figured by the Stinger.)

I asked Curt what he thought the average depth was and he guessed 90' and then 80'. I figured 54'. The Stinger said 51'.

Curt's computer bumped to the red and spent most of the dive in the yellow but finally went two clicks into the green at the end.

My brain said that the profile looked like a check mark with a wide spot at the bottom.... when I downloaded the Stinger I saw that the graph agreed.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

It can get boisterous on Puget Sound during the winter... especially where wind and current oppose.

Exposed docks in such locations can disappear during a storm and so the Washington State Parks folks have figured out a way to protect them... they are unhooked from their pilings and removed.

Last week we decided to visit a boat launch where the docks were still missing so that we could dive the area without having to worry about the crowd of fishermen that usually inhabit them.

Much to our surprise the docks had been replaced... and just as surprising there were no fishermen in sight.

As we entered the water down current from the dock Curt mention that it might be a good idea to visit the old broken up boat launch laying at the foot of the new dock in about 40' of water.

I mentioned that it might not be a good idea since there were boats presently using the launch area.

Curt agreed that we would just chill out and let the current carry us South... away from the dock and boat launch.

This made me happy as I felt tired after listening to seagulls all night while waiting for Abe Lincoln to come home.

Well no sooner had we reached the bottom than Curt headed North toward the boat launch.

OK... maybe we hadn't communicated as well as I thought we had.

Since it gets deep fast here we were already well below any danger from boat traffic so I let Curt lead the way.

This particular dive site has nothing to recommend it except contrary current, boat traffic and... well that's about it.

Except I did at least find an octopus hiding in an section of pipe. I pointed him out to Curt but for some inexplicable reason he didn't see it.

Today I tried my old SeaQuest wing with the Halcyon backplate and double steel 72s. It worked great! The 55# Explorer wing is just too large for them but this little guy is the ticket.

Not only did it work great but since my tanks are different colors (black and galvanized are colors aren't they?) having yellow and blue wings are an especially nice touch.

78' ~ 54min. EAN32 SAC .44

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Today I tried my old SeaQuest wing with the Halcyon backplate and double steel 72s. It worked great! The 55# Explorer wing is just too large for them but this little guy is the ticket.

Not only did it work great but since my tanks are different colors (black and galvanized are different colors aren't they?) having yellow and blue wings are an especially nice touch.

78' ~ 54min. EAN32 SAC .44

So what kind of seaquest wing are you using? I was planning on using my OMS 55lb wing but was afraid it would be a little big for 72's.

lal7176 once bubbled...
it looks like a great wing for small doubles.
It was used with a plastic backpack and a small set of double AL50s... but I took them apart for my youngest daughter to use as singles... and then I gave the wing away... and then I remember years later and asked for it back. :D

Actually the shape is not quite right for use with a Halcyon plate but it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom