Tulum v. Cozumel??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backpacking diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone--

I'm going down to Tulum and then Cozumel in late March and am trying to figure out how to divvy up my time-- I'll be in Tulum first-- is it worth diving the reef down there if I'm going to Coz afterward? I'm not planning to dive the cenotes, I'm mainly going to Tulum to see Coba & the Tulum ruins & am trying to decide if I should give another day to dive the reef there or save the time for Coz. Thanks!

I'm not planning to dive the cenotes, I'm mainly going to Tulum to see Coba & the Tulum ruins & am trying to decide if I should give another day to dive the reef there or save the time for Coz. Thanks!
I'd spend an extra day diving the cenotes, skipping that is a mistake in my opinon.

I've not dived Tulum, but then I've not read anything that would make me want to. Some seem to like snorkeling with the turtles there, but I like scuba with those - so that might be an angle. Enjoy the ruins and Coz - both great.

I'd spend an extra day diving the cenotes, skipping that is a mistake in my opinon.

I second that. My 19 yr old son is a DM, and the Cenotes really hit home for him. I felt like I kid in a huge playground.

Another reason for being in the Tulum area first, would be to do Xel Ha & such. Save on travel time spending a night or two in that area.

I wasn't that impressed with the reefs in the area---spend your time in the cenotes and then move over to Cozumel.

I just got back from a week in Playa del Carmen - did several reefs and the cenotes, and while I'm not a big fan of the cenotes, I'm glad I tried it. Take a day for the cenotes - you won't get a better opportunity!

KL

I would skip the diving in Tulum. Spend the time diving the cenotes or head to Cozumel.

PH

If you haven't seen any Mayan ruins, Tulum and Coba are ok. If I had a day to see ruins, I would head to Valladolid and see Chichen Itza and Ek Balam. By all means do a days diving in the cenotes. I love them but they really creepy to my wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom