Turks and Caicos or Aruba, all info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montana Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
We are planning our Vacation January 2017 and want to make it a Vacation with option of some diving. We have done Bonaire 3 times Cayman Brac 1 time and were certified in Roatan..
This time we are looking at less diving but wanted to get thoughts on Turks and Caicos or Aruba for possibilities. I have searched the forums but don't see any current threads on these islands. We are ok to do More snorkeling and kayaking but of course the itch for a dive will creep in as well. Is there shore diving either place? what dive ops should we use?

So any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Trevormclay started an interesting thread call Turks and Caicos (Provo) Dive Spot Review, 5-19-16, that turned into a more extended discussion about T&C as a land-based destination (since the live-aboard route seems to be a fine option for the diehard diver, but some people want other things, too).

I haven't dove T&C, and my only Aruba encounter was a cruise ship stop, no diving.

What all other things do you guys want to do? Either checking out Trip Advisor, or the Excursions section of a cruise line website that hits the island (e.g.: Royal Caribbean), would show a listing of regional attractions that might appeal to you.

Richard.

Richard,
Thanks for the response. I guess I am mainly looking for info of what diving is possible on either T&C or Aruba. As for other things we are looking for I think we can manage with TA forums etc.
Thanks again
Tom

I don't believe there's any shore diving in the Turks/Caicos to speak of. Provo has georgeous beaches for miles so lousy diving. I have heard you can access the wall off Grand Turk in a few spots but it's a long surface swim - I know nothing of it but what I've read. Easy short boat rides though - one wall parallels the island. It's also where the cruise port is but I've read it's smaller and quieter than Provo. Bohio Dive resort might be an otion.

The local Provo boats dive farther off Grace Bay or along the Northwest Point area. They also do day trips south to the other islands, West Caicos and French Cay among others. It pretty much takes all day, they pick you up, shuttle you to the marina south then 45-60 mins. boat ride. Two dives+ lunch and you're back around 2:30 - do the 3-tank and it's 4:30-5:00. That's really the best diving though, deep walls, drifts thru channels, lots of sharks, rays, turtles etc. The wall is accessible in some areas and really healthy - coral on coral past rec limits. A couple options I've seen here are Dive Provo or Caicos Adventures - we did the Explorer LOB so I have no experience with local shops. Did see a Caicos Adventures boat at French Cay one morning.

Aruba has shore diving. From video I've seen looks very similar to Bonaire. If you're considering it after 3x in Bonaire look at Curacao also - more shore diving, easy boat diving and IMO better than Bonaire and we made it a point to find/dive the best of both. Options for both: Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

Curacao has much more nightlfe etc. than Bonaire also. I gather Aruba even more but I've never been there.

I have visited Provo and the T&Cs twice but I have never been to Aurba, but I have been to nearby Bonaire and Curacao several times. One thing that I can tell you is that the water will be much warmer in Aruba at that time of year - and that would be a very important factor for me. The water temp in the T&Cs will probably average in the mid 70s in January but they should be in the low 80s in Aruba at that time.

I liked Provo and the T&Cs a lot - Grace Bay Beach was spectacular and the diving was fantastic - but we dived from liveaboards and I have read that you can expect long boat trips out to reefs from Provo in day boats. But some people rave about the diving around Provo, so who knows? We saw sharks on almost every dive and other large animals including spotted eagle rays. But keep in mind that January to April is the season for Humpback whales and most liveaboards will divert their business to whale watching at that time.

Aruba has the reputation for shallow diving, grassy diving, and shallow wrecks - but I don't know that from personal experience. They are also supposed to be a great family vacation destination with spectacular beaches.

Personally, if I was looking for a beachy, family vacation spot with easy, fantastic diving in January, I would head to Grand Cayman. It is expensive but I think that the T&Cs are just as pricey as the Caymans - I don't know about Aruba. But the water will be just as chilly in the Caymans as the T&Cs at that time of year; but you will get the Seven Mile Beach, all the restaurants, stores, entertainments, and attractions - and fast boat rides to great sites!

Have you thought about taking a trip to Hawaii? Great diving but the water will be chilly there too!

Have never been to Aruba but my son and I spent a week on Providenciales. We dived with Caicos Adventures, found them to be a good operator. The main dive boat is a large catamaran, stable and fast, making the long rides much easier. We did most of our diving off West Caicos and French Cay, it was quite good, lots of Reef Sharks, some pretty good walls. They have a fun, 3 tanker on Thursdays using their smaller, faster catamaran. Grace Bay is very nice, same league as Grand Cayman's Seven Mile Beach.

Last edited:
Can you provide more details, who is "We", . .. a family, young kids, older kids, a couple? And what other primary activities are you looking for if diving is only secondary, something you will likely do but you describe this as a vacation, not a dive vacation. I know you mentioned snorkeling and kayaking but are you primarily looking to do on your vacation? Also are you planning on a week? With more info maybe I can give you a more informed answer.

OK More info...We are A couple ,50, and work with people every day so vacation is a time to get away and relax. We will be 3 or 4 weeks so not a need to "crush it". We enjoy snorkeling, kayaking. (we will be bringing our inflatable kayak). want to try SUP and other than that chill on the beach with a book and a drink. We are not into the nightlife and boom boom clubs. We generally cook almost all of our own meals and will only dine out a couple times.

After reading the responses, we are leaning towards Caicos. looking at a a condo in turtle Cove area.Thanks again for the info, it's always so fun to read everyone's responses.

Ok, sorry for being dense but I am not sure I am following your response as far as the length of your vacation. Are you saying the length of your stay is 3-4 weeks?

OK More info...We are A couple ,50, and work with people every day so vacation is a time to get away and relax. We will be 3 or 4 weeks so not a need to "crush it". We enjoy snorkeling, kayaking. (we will be bringing our inflatable kayak). want to try SUP and other than that chill on the beach with a book and a drink. We are not into the nightlife and boom boom clubs. We generally cook almost all of our own meals and will only dine out a couple times.

After reading the responses, we are leaning towards Caicos. looking at a a condo in turtle Cove area.Thanks again for the info, it's always so fun to read everyone's responses.

Your goals and objectives seem pretty reasonable. Grace Bay would be ideal for your non-diving activities. The available diving can be excellent. There is not much snorkeling but we did a very nice night dive off Turtle Cove

Back
Top Bottom