Turks and Caicos or Aruba, all info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, sounds like you have the makings of a great vacation. I was going to suggest GC as well, but your plans for Provo sound like a good one. Staying in condo with kitchen would be a must for us, especially for 3-4 weeks. I know there is an excellent supermarket on Provo. With the time you will have you can explore the island and maybe Grand Turk. I have only been to Provo to dive but have to believe there are great opportunities to snorkel, paddle board and kayak. Enjoy.

Yes you are correct we will be there 3 or 4 weeks

Nice! I was thinking the same thing, maybe do a 2-island vacation and visit Grand Turk.

Corrected post: I had suggested a liveaboard but as DiverSteve pointed out, the OP is traveling during the Spring when the liveaboards will be whale-watching and snorkeling with Humpbacks.

Last edited:
In January-April 2017 both Liveaboards will be whale snorkeling with the Humpbacks off the Silver Banks in the D.R. They don't dive on those trips. Plus I'm reasonably sure both boats depart from Puerto Plata in the DR.
In January of each year, the Turks & Caicos Explorer II follows the migrating humpback whales to the south, and spends the following 11 weeks on the Silver Banks, 80 miles to the north of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. These special itineraries, run by world-renowned Tom Conlin of Aquatic Adventures, offer up to 18 lucky guests the opportunity to spend a week both topside and in the water (snorkel only), experiencing the majesty of these incredible creatures up close and personal.
Humpback Whale Snorkel Adventures - The beautiful Turks and Caicos Aggressor II offers an exciting itinerary from January - April to the Dominican Republic to snorkel with Humpback Whales at the Silver Bank. This area, twenty square miles in size, is located north of the Dominican Republic and approximately the same distance from the Turks & Caicos Islands.

In January-April 2017 both Liveaboards will be whale snorkeling with the Humpbacks off the Silver Banks in the D.R. They don't dive on those trips. Plus I'm reasonably sure both boats depart from Puerto Plata in the DR.

You are right, I forgot the month he is going.

I live in Turks & Caicos and work for the Explorer liveaboard. There is not really any shore-diving here (nothing beyond 20feet), but lots of really accessible snorkelling reefs for your non-diving days. Grace Bay is a perfect spot for lounging comfortably and lots of opportunity for kayaking and SUP along the beach or do a mangrove tour. The dive shops are all very good. I always recommend Dive Provo (they sell my wetsuits!), but I've also been with Provo Turtle Divers, and Aqua TCI, and Flamingo Divers is supposed to have super small groups. Big Blue is another option. As well, you won't find any boom boom night clubs unless you count the Irish pub Danny Buoys as a night club. The diving here is beautiful and mostly wall diving that can start deep, so I always recommend people to dive on Nitrox if you can and if you plan to do several dives.
Feel free to PM me for any other island-specific advice diving related or not :) Happy to help!

The Explorer boat is transiting from Provo to the DR on January 14th, so we have 2 weeks of diving in Turks before that. Call 1 800 322 3577 to confirm availability or email info@ExplorerVentures.com

The Explorer boat is transiting from Provo to the DR on January 14th, so we have 2 weeks of diving in Turks before that. Call 1 800 322 3577 to confirm availability or email info@ExplorerVentures.com
OP seems to be staying in a condo so I generalized about the exact dates since it didn't seem too likely they'd be interested.

Thanks for all the info. It looks like we will do mainly kayaking, snorkeling and sup. I am planning on bringing our own regs and computers so we may do a day or two of dives. Not sure it is worth bringing BCD and wetsuit though. Again this is more of a relax vacation and if we get a dive or two that's a bonus. May just do a couple dives and go back to Bonaire next year for more.
Mia Toose, I may msg you as we get closer or even when we are there with questions. Thanks again for the offer.

Hello everyone. I have an opportunity to go with a group to Club Med in Turks and Caicos in October 2016. I am considering this trip as a vacation trip and not a dive trip.

Can anyone give me info about the diving? I would probably find my own dive shop and I rent BCD and reg.

I guess or assume I would want a 2-3 tank dive day and go at least 2 days and maybe a third. I would like a good shop that has newer gear and can be trusted.

anyone have experience with the Club Med there? anyone have experience diving with the Club Med associated dive shop? better to find my own shop? (for those that know me from my liveaboard questions, I know this is a fav of liveaboard and might go back soon (early 2017) for a liveaboard)

any question that I didn't think to ask would be appreciated if you let me know that too.

Thanks all.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom