Turning a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually don't turn a dive because of boredom. For one, my buddy might not be bored, and for two, it's a fairly big hassle to get in the water. Drive 2 hrs, launch the boat, etc. etc. There is always the chance that something interesting might come our way. If I'm bored, I do a drill, or try to guess how much gas is in my tanks, or try to frog kick backwards or simply hang out for a bit and watch my buddy.

Plus Cen. Cal. is so gorgeous that it's pretty rare to be bored. There is always something to look at, if not on the big scale, then on the macro scale.

Jonathan once bubbled...
Anyone actually turned a dive because they are bored?
Kind of. I came back from a 3 tank dive trip to Looe Key with 2 full tanks, and 2000psi in the other.

Viz was less than 5 feet. Started our initial descent at arms length. Had to come back up after losing each other at 10' depth. After 10 minutes of swimming around looking at stuff in front of our noses, my buddy's wife thumbed the dive. He and I went for another 15 minutes before getting bored.

We had a much better time having a BBQ and hanging out in the waist deep water with all the other boaters at "picnic island", so we had a great time, just not underwater.

Another example of calling a dive due to boredom was a shallow solo night dive in Cozumel. Still warm and toasty, lots of air left, lots of NDL left (20' avg depth), both lights still going strong, but after 125 minutes I've seen all I want to see.

Charlie

Considering that on my last 2 dives combined I've seen 1 sunken boat and 2 fish, I can understand the thumb for boredom. I had other plans for the dives, but really, the water's brown, the fish are brown, the bottom's brown, the walls are brown.....

Back
Top Bottom