Turquoise Bay vs Anthony's Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to plan a trip to Roatan for two divers (one who dives regularly and one who is getting back into it) for May or June of 2018. I've found good specials for both Anthony's Key and for Turquoise Bay. I'm haven't found much for direct comparisons between the two, but wanted to try to get some feedback on these resorts (especially when we are not traveling as part of a larger group). Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

I haven't "stayed" at either so I can't compare. I have been to AKR several times for day visits. They serve a good meal, have nice villas on the hill or on the island and they have the dolphin encounter. I have come very close to booking there but prefer to be closer to town. There are lots of dive sites very close so you don't spend a long time on a boat.

I haven't even visited TB so have no opinion.

Comparing-

AKR and "town"...a very close cab ride to West End. TBR is remote, 35 minute cab to drink alcohol in West End.

AKR has way more steps up to dining facility 68 IIRC, 3x a day. Don't know if TBR offers golf cart to docks. No gear carrying at either.

AKR and TBR use radically different boats, equal in comfort. AKR is in-house, TBR uses Subway, also equal quality.

AKR still fits into the "dive resort" category, TBR is a resort that offers diving. You can get more BT, easier, at AKR.

AKR is filled with divers. TBR can be packed with non-divers especially around Semana Santa who are there to party like 1999, other times very quiet, but still not a high percentage of divers. More families on beach vacation. AKR itself is very quiet at night.

TBR can not offer shore diving due to location, the shore dive listed by AKR is at best, theoretical.., anyone who does it once, I'll buy you a beer. Twice? A Monkey-LaLa. So I call that a draw.

Food has proven to be much more consistent at AKR.

The real estate, terrain, views, and general setting, radically different, but both quite lovely.

Although volume of cruise ship day visitors is much higher at AKR, you really won't be intermixed. Volume is minimal at TBR (due to remoteness from cruise port, marketing, and lack of dolphin show)

AKR has the dolphin show, but anyone on island can pay to go. Staying there does not mean any access beyond an outsider.

Both AKR and Subway can move their dive ops to South side when the weather closes down the North.

Purely Subjective observation:

I like AKR's very consistent product as a resort (food, room style, quiet, repair, facilities) over TBR.

I give dive ops (AKR and Subway) an equal rating for quality and service. You can get one, possibly two (if you hustle) more at AKR.

I'm a diver, paying $1k for airfare is high motivation for me to dive as much as I can. I pick AKR.

Whichever you select, go someplace else next go round. Just because they may take you to the Southside, you'll not have seen much of that. For being such a small island, it sure is a big place.

Last edited:
Of the two, I have only been to AKR, but I got the impression from other SB threads (which, of course, you should read and interpret for yourself) that TBR was the more upscale, more intimate, etc., of the two. AKR is a dedicated dive resort--there are few non-divers--but I felt AKR was very "middle class" as dive resorts go. Neither high-end nor low-end. It runs like a well-oiled machine. Doc put it well: a "consistent product."

My recent review of TBR/Subway Watersports is here Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017 I have never stayed at AKR, we drove through it on our boat one day we did the Aguila and Overheat Reef. The Dolphin show is not for me. The food on our visit was much better than @Doc makes out. The bar on site was plenty of drinking for me. Three dives per day. Quiet and peaceful. We did not take the horseback ride or use the kayaks, but they are included.

Of the two, I have only been to AKR, but I got the impression from other SB threads (which, of course, you should read and interpret for yourself) that TBR was the more upscale, more intimate, etc., of the two. AKR is a dedicated dive resort--there are few non-divers--but I felt AKR was very "middle class" as dive resorts go. Neither high-end nor low-end. It runs like a well-oiled machine. Doc put it well: a "consistent product."

I've never been to AKR, only TBR. Dunno about "upscale", but like the man said, it's a vacation resort that offers diving. There's one or two things that a dedicated dive resort would do differently, I expect the biggest difference would be the people you get mix with in the evening. At TBR your choices are divers who were with you on the boat and the non-diving vacationers from mainland Honduras.

I've never been to AKR, only TBR. Dunno about "upscale", but like the man said, it's a vacation resort that offers diving. There's one or two things that a dedicated dive resort would do differently, I expect the biggest difference would be the people you get mix with in the evening. At TBR your choices are divers who were with you on the boat and the non-diving vacationers from mainland Honduras.
Nearly everyone there during our week were divers, or there with divers.

I've been to AKR twice. The first time was literally my first dive trip...ever. I didn't have a clue about diving, and I was as nervous as one could be. After my very first "vacation dive", I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. On my second dive, they took us to El Aguila and down to 117 ft. I thought it was cool at the time...

Our second trip was several years ago. We went with a group of dive buddies and pretty much had our own boat, so it was very pleasant.

The most positive thing going for AKR is Gregory. He is the person who meets you at the airport. We met on my first trip there, and to this day, he ALWAYS sees me at the airport and gives me a big hug on arrival - even though I'm going someplace else. He has never forgotten us. What a great ambassador for AKR.

We always enjoyed the food and diving at AKR. They do run a professional operation. The only part I didn't like was the part about spending one day at Maya Key...their island over on the south side. It's more about selling you stuff and less about diving. Not my thing so much. It bothered me because it wasn't elective - that was the schedule.

I found the rooms very rustic, which was kind of fun on the first trip. Not so much on the second. I'm not a fan of their boats. There were just too many divers crammed on them. I consider AKR to be like the Disney World of diving. It's a great place and very well run, but also very commercial. Lots of people prefer that, so it's a matter of preference.

I've only been to Turquoise Bay Resort a couple of times to visit. We had dinner there with our friends and I was REALLY impressed. The night we were there the food was fantastic. Subway Watersports is the on-site dive operation. We have a number of friends who work there and I can tell you that they are among the best dive staff on Roatan. They are great boat captains and divemasters who have shown me a thing or two on the island. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend diving with them.

I haven't stayed at the resort or seen the rooms, so I can't comment on that part.

Nearly everyone there during our week were divers, or there with divers.

Actually, with the number of Caribbean islands gone now, I'd expect this to be the case for the next couple of years too. Unless you go for Semana Santa, according to Doc.

When we were there there were a few Honduran families with kids, not that we saw much of them, being out on the boat for most of the day. There was one diving group who got their boat, and "everyone else" ourselves included on SWS's smaller boat.

Late to the party on this one but thought I'd toss my view of TBR in the mix. I've visited AKR for the dolphin experience but not beyond that. We stayed at TBR over New Years week 2017 after spending the week prior on the south side of the island.

The rooms were nice, some would have very good views over the bay. The grounds were reasonably flat and unless you had significant issues walking it wouldn't be bad, plus some of the buildings are lower on the hill and I suspect you could request one. AC worked, hot water worked, beds were comfortable enough, rooms were large enough for 2 beds and a loveseat. The grounds were well kept and they fogged every 2-3 days for mosquitos/no-see-ums. They have a good sundeck and a fairly large unheated pool. The beach is large enough you can find your own space and they'll serve drinks direct to lounge chair. The water was calm and I recall has a good distance of kid friendly shallow to it. Snorkelling wasn't great, there was a little to see but not a ton.

The food was not gourmet, but more than fine. They did have a couple of nights with a chef who would prepare your food on the spot. For example one night was like a pasta bar and you picked out your pasta, meat, and sauce and they made it for you. That night there was a lineup as there was only one chef and two burners which was slow going and frustrated some of the guests. The staff were all great though and over the course of the week got to know you.

For what we care about, diving, Subway was perfectly fine. While it's not, walk 10 steps from the locker to the boat like our favourite Roatan resort is, there was nothing negative. There are steps down to the pier which might be an issue with some limited mobility divers and it was down a slope from the rooms. You have secured lockers you can leave your stuff at and a reasonable space to get ready. They were also expanding the upper deck when we were there which would add some more sunspace and drying space. The staff also took care of carrying your gear for you. They would load your BCD on the boat for you and take it back to the lockers at the end of the day.

Subway appears to run an internship program and had a large group of students learning to be DMs. They stuck to their own boat for the most part or were in the pool doing drills which were fun to watch.

The boats were generally well kept. We had one boat where the captain had to pop a hatch and flick something to a different position to get the motor to fire but this was never a problem and seemed to just be the way to start the engine. All the other boats had everything working. Our first day was busy as there was a large dive group we got placed with but after that, they were done, we moved to a different boat, and we had good space from then on. Our dive size ranged from 4-8, perhaps 10 for most of the week and if they took out a new diver there was an additional DM with us. The DMs all carry Hawaiian slings and like to reduce the lionfish population when they can. I never felt they were focused on hunting over attending to us.

A main draw for us to go was one of the divemasters, Osman. Osman has been diving in Roatan forever and knows how a dive operation should run. He was our divemaster at a different resort on our first trip to Roatan. We were new divers then and he took excellent care of us. We were excited to be able to dive with him 13 years later. He was just as we remembered him and again took great care of us and all the divers. His son is also an aspiring DM which was great to see. I believe Pedro was our boat captain and he was also excellent.

Would I go back? Possibly, though the draw of our favourite resort is likely too great. If I had a spouse who didn't dive or wasn't planning on diving the whole trip I might consider it as it has the beach. As others have said it is fairly out there and I might be more inclined to stay closer to the west end. There were a number of repeat visitors to the resort which I consider a good sign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom