TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - December 15-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It's beginning to look a lot like Fishmas . . .

THE WIND!!! YIKES!!! - Where did that come from Sunday morning? Just to show you how quickly wind can whip things up, everything was generally diveable on Saturday but by Sunday morning the swell in the channel was running around 8-feet and the Redondo live cam showed a choppy surface with 3-5' breakers on the beach. Not fun in either case.

LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES - With these being the main suspect in the Conception fire (as well as the fire on the Red Sea Aggressor as well), there was an interesting and timely article in Sunday's Los Angeles Times about this: LITHIUM-ION BATTERY FIRES.

BACK FROM CABO PULMO - We had a good time, but there were some issues that I'll detail in the trip report (which I'm still working on - hopefully done in the next couple of days). But overall we had a very good time and were very impressed by the massive numbers of fish we saw at a number of the dive sites. We also got a couple of dives in with Bull Sharks. If you'd like to see some pix, here are the "Daily Top 10" pix from each day that I posted on FaceBook. Click on a gallery for the pix from that day. Click on any individual pix for the full-screen version: CABO PULMO PIX.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT TRIP GIFT CERTIFICATES - If you'd like to surprise someone with a diving vacation, we can do that!!! Just look over the sked above, let me know what works, and we can create a certificate for you to give them as their present. It's a great way to surprise someone you care about (or just want to impress) this holiday season.

NOVEL CONCEPT - Although I suppose it helps if you have perfect pitch . . . As you know, Cousteau was wrong when he referred to the underwater world as being "silent." It's pretty noisy. And now scientists are using that noise to try to help distressed reefs. They're playing the sounds of healthy reefs in areas of distressed reefs and having good success in attracting fish. Read about it here: SOUND SAVES REEFS.

ANY DEADHEADS READING THIS? - One of our regulars has two tix to the upcoming December 27 Grateful Dead concert at the Forum and can't go. (In case you didn't know, Jerry Garcia was an avid diver.) Face is $80 each and he says he's willing to give you BOTH tix for $80 total. If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail and I'll put the two of you in touch.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Indeed on the wind, Ken. Saturday I did three dives in the park and it was calm with pretty minor swell. Sunday there was just a gentle breeze up at the house so I donned my wetsuit and drove down to the park. The wind was howling and the waves were crashing so I turned around and headed home for warmth, football and blueberry pie!

Back
Top Bottom