TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - February 14-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Avalon Cleanup this Saturday, & more
(please scroll down for details)

Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day (of course, it isn't over as I'm writing this so it snot too late) . . .

DID YOU SEE JEFF BOZANIC'S ZOOM SEEKERS TALK? - If you didn't - and we had something like 70 people on the Zoom portion - it's up on our YouTube page and you can watch it at your leisure: ZOOM SEEKERS - JEFF BOZANIC: DIVING ANTARCTICA.

THE AVALON QUARANTINE CLEANUP IS THIS SATURDAY - We can't gather to collect trash this year but we hope you'll "gather" with us virtually on Saturday starting at 10AM. (Actually, the pre-show of pix from previous years starts at 9:45AM.) We'd love to have you sign up as part of the Reef Seekers team. Here's the link to sign up (and then scroll down): 2021 QUARANTINE CLEANUP SIGN-UP. You'll have to go through the entire sign-up and pay page ($50 per person) before you indicate you're part of the Reef Seekers team and choose your t-shirt size. In addition to the t-shirt, you'll be entered in the drawing for one of eight "Participant Appreciation Packages" (aka raffle packages) and you'll have an exclusive chance to submit your winning bit on a number of Blind Bid items, an opportunity available ONLY to those participating in the event. It's all for a good cause (the Chamber, Catalina Conservation Divers, and the Wrigley Scientific Diver program) so we hope you'll sing up and participate and then join us for the live webcast Saturday morning.

WATCH THE WEBCAST - As I said, pre-show starts at 9:45AM, we go live at 10AM, and we should be done by 11:30AM. There will be a couple of platforms on which to watch but the easiest might be this one: QUARANTINE CLEANUP LIVE SATURDAY WEBCAST.

SMALLER SHARKS? - One of the unintended consequences of climate change seems to be that sharks are being born smaller. Water temperature a lot of times plays a huge role in the gestation of many marine creatures and a study shows that sharks may be suffering because of it. Read more about it here (and thanks to Laurie Clauss for the tip): CLIMATE CHANGE CAUSING SHRINKING SHARKS.

WANT A GOOD DEAL ON A SLIGHTLY USED DIVE COMPUTER? - I have always been a fan of Oceanic computers. I had a Datamax Pro, then a Proplus, Proplus 2, Proplus 3, and am now upgrading to a Proplus 4. Which means my Proplus 3 - which still works great and even comes with a new battery - is looking for a new home and I'm happy to do some wheeling and dealing if you're interested. Shoot me an e-mail or call and we can talk.

GILLIGAN'S BAHAMAS ISLAND - Not sure if it was intended to be a 3-hour cruise but some lucky folks got plucked off of a remote and uninhabited island in the Bahamas (yes, they still exist) after being spotted by the Coast Guard out on a routine air patrol. the three castaways, who apparently fled Cuba but then their boat capsized and they swam to the island, survived on coconuts. Read about it here: LUCKY TRIO RESCUED.

CUT THE LOOPS - Somewhat Cleanup-related on two levels. #1: Make sure you properly dispose of your COVID masks - like in a trash receptacle - when you're done with them. #2 - Before you toss them, cut the loops. That way, if you mask should somehow escape from the trash receptacle, it can't end up around some poor animal's neck like this unfortunate duck.
url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F57f3b309701%2Fedba95d7-4a33-4f63-8c96-f830e2d1d915.jpg

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, wear your mask, wash your hands, and let's go diving soon.

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom