TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - July 10-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2016-2017 vacation trips:

• August 1-6 - Isla Guadalupe & Great White Sharks [ SOLD OUT - but there are still a few spots left on the boat ]
• August 13-20 (WEEK 1) - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues [
SOLD OUT!!! ]
• August 20-27 (WEEK 2) - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues [ SOLD OUT!!! ]
• November 3-16 - Maldives on the Manthiri
[ ONLY 1 SPOT LEFT ]
• 2017 - July 7-19 - Yap Immersion #1 (special 13-day trip featuring all that Yap has to offer)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 5 SPOTS LEFT ]
• 2017 - July 21-August 2 - Yap Immersion #2 (week #2 - same sked as above)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 10 SPOTS LEFT ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
————————————————————————————————————————————
Hope you had a fun & festive Fourth . . .

SHARK TRIP IS FULL - We're now full (at least in terms of our spots and those of Ocean Adventures) on the Great White Shark trip August 1-6. However, there are still some Superior Suite spots available that the boat has. They're slightly more expensive but it's a bigger room on the second deck (instead of being at the waterline). If that's of interest to you, we can still set you up with one of those. Just give us a call at 310/652-4990.

WHALE SHARK TRIP IS ALSO FULL - We're really looking forward to our return to Isla Mujeres. We got a note the other from Jim Silver at Aqua Eco Adventures in Isla (which is who we deal with) and they're apparently having one of their best Whale Shark seasons ever. So hopefully that holds for the next few weeks. And the great thing about this trip is that it's not just Whale Sharks. We'll get in some reef dives, including exploring the Cancun Underwater Museum, as well as we'll be able to dive the cenotes down by Tulum. And because we're land-based with Wi-Fi access, we'll keep you up to date so you can enjoy the trip vicariously.

SPEAKING OF WHALE SHARKS . . . - Some not-so-good news about Whale Sharks has come from the IUCN Red List, which is the official worldwide list of threatened and endangered species. The IUCN had moved Whale Sharks from "vulnerable" to "endangered". You can see a video that explains it a bit more here: .

MALDIVES IS DOWN TO ONE SPOT - Not to make this the all-of-our-trips-are-filling e-mail, but I should let you know we're down now to one final spot (male-share) on our Maldives trip in November. So if this is something you've been thinking about, it's time to change thinking into committing lest the spot go away before you can sign yourself up. The full trip dates are November 2-18, with us departing late in the evening on the 2nd, diving on the Manthiri November 5-14, touring Istanbul on the way back November 15-17, and then returning home in the early evening on November 18. Trip cost is $4,895, the Istanbul stopover (which is optional) probably will add another $400-500, and airfare today on Turkish Airlines was running $857. Give us a call at 310/652-4990 to snag that last spot and enjoy a memorable vacation with us.

UNUSUAL VISITORS - El Nino may have been a no-show this year in terms of rain, but we're still getting some of the effects in terms of animals sightings. You may recall a few years ago I spotted a Whitetail Damsel, normally found much further south in Mexico, in the Avalon Underwater Park. And now Dr. Bill Bushing has spotted another unusual visitor over there, which he thinks is a Largemouth Blenny, also a normal resident of Mexico but who somehow has found his way north. So there's no telling what we'll keep seeing as the summer unfolds. Here's Dr. Bill's find (his picture credit, too):
Large-mouth blenny (Dr Bill).jpg

And that'll do it for now. BTW, I've served my 8-week post-cataract-surgery sentence, so I really mean it now when I say . . . Let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Ken... I'm about to begin my 4-6 week excommunication from King Neptune's realm. Thought I'd let you know that I now appear to have located as many as six largemouth blennies in the dive park. Most of them are females unlike the one pictured above. Milton Love agrees that it is probably the largemouth blenny but it could also be the related multipore blenny. Can't tell for sure unless a specimen is captured... which, of course, is a no go in the dive park.

Back
Top Bottom