TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - March 5-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2017 vacation trips:

• March 17-25 - Bonaire [ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - CAN STILL SQUEEZE YOU IN ]
• June 10-17 - Isla Mujeres (early in the Whale Shark Season)
• July 7-19 - Yap Immersion #1 (special 13-day trip featuring all that Yap has to offer)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 6 SPOTS LEFT ]
• July 21-August 2 - Yap Immersion #2 (week #2 - same sked as above)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 6 SPOTS LEFT ]
• September 1-6 - Great White Sharks of Guadalupe on the Nautilus Belle Amie [ WE'VE ONLY GOT 6 SPOTS - ONLY 1 OFFICIAL SPOT LEFT ]
• November 2-12 - Fiji (SW area near Suva) on the Fiji Aggressor [ SOLD OUT!!! ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
———————————————————————————————————————————
CD-CE-2017-Banner-700x200 (JPG).jpg

———————————————————————————————————————————
Upcoming local dives & classes:
• FREE DAY - Sat., 3/11 - Diver's Day at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach (9AM-6PM - FREE ADMISSION WITH C-CARD)
• CLASS - Wed., 3/15 - Photo Workshop (7PM in Westwood - $25)
• DIVE - Thu., 4/6 - Night dive at Redondo (6PM - FREE!! - might still see some squid)
• DIVE - Sat., 4/22 - Avalon UW Park ($150)
• CLASS - Wed., 4/26 - Fish ID (7PM in Westwood - $25)
• CHARITY EVENT - Wed., 5/3 - Chamber Day & Eve 2017 2017 (7AM-11PM at Catalina and in Long Beach)
• DIVE - Thu., 5/24 - Night dive at Redondo (6PM - FREE!!)
• DIVE - Sat., 6/3 - Avalon UW Park ($150)
To sign up for any of these dives, either call us at 310/652-4990 or e-mail us at kenkurtis@aol.com

——————————————————————————————————————————
I think Obama wiretapped my phone but when all he got were Chamber Day calls, he switched over to Trump . . .

CHAMBER DAY 2017 IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Hopefully we'll have you joining us for the day on the Cee Ray (our official boat) or at our table during Chamber Evening (where you could also win a week of diving in Yap) or even on the Flying Dutchman. Plus there's the Chamber Challenge, the raffles, and opportunities to buy t-shirt and posters. It's all to help our Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber. Sign up at www.chamberday.org.

BONAIRE'S LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AWAY - We're getting excited. We haven't been there since 2014 so it'll be nice to go back to Buddy Dive and get reacquainted with some of our favorite places to dive. Because Buddy has a good Wi-Fi system, we should also be able to keep you posted about our adventures.

DIVERS DAY IS THIS COMING SATURDAY - It's a great way to explore the Aquarium of the Pacific for free because ALL certified divers get in for free just by showing your c-card. (You still have to pay for parking though.) In addition to all of the regular animals and diver presentations you would normally see, there will be a number of organizations with display tables in the Great Hall, plus there will be some special demos in the exhibits, as well as four diver-oriented short films (under 4 minutes each) that will be shown on the walls of the Great Hall. You can also find out more about the fabulous Dive Immersion program, which gives you the opportunity to dive in the big Tropical Reef exhibit during an afternoon. This is the 15th year that the Aquarium, which relies heavily on volunteer divers, has hosted this event. It's a lot of fun and I hope you'll swing on by, especially if you haven't had the chance to explore the place yet. (And you can see the juvy Black Sea Bass that was sired at the Aquarium and is being hand-raised there. He's in the Redondo Canyon exhibit.)
BSB_0945(LR6).jpg

AN OLDIE BUT A GOODIE - I don't remember if I shared this with you before but it popped up again on my desktop and it's deserves another look even if you've seen it already. It's a short essay, with pix and a video clip, about the migration of thousands and thousand of Golden Cownose Rays off of Isla Holbox, which is just north of Isla Mujeres where we go to see the Whale Sharks. Here's the link: Photog Discovers Something ‘Terrifying’ Moving Through The Ocean, But The Reality Is Altogether Beautiful.. I was fortunate enough a few years back in Baja to have run across a large school of mobulas, which are a cousin of the cownose. I heard a noise, saw them flocking on by, raised my camera to shoot, and at that instant, they all turned directly towards me, I snapped, they turned away and they were gone. Lucky shot but my two favorite sayings are (1) I'd rather be lucky than good, and (2) Luck is preparation meets opportunity. See what you think:
Mobulas (tweaked - 2000 - alt1).jpg

YAP IN JULY- An even larger cousin of the mobulas above are the Giant Pacific Manta Rays that call Yap their home. We're really looking forward to our TWO trips to Yap this year, which we're calling "Yap Immersion" because they're 10 days long and it's really time to immerse yourself in Yap but underwater and above. We'll do all the "standard" Yap stuff like Manta and Shark dives, Mandarinfish dives, and more, plus we'll do a Manta ID workshop (you'll get a PADI card), an informal on-going photo workshop, a full-day island tour, and a lot more. We're about half full on each of the two trips right now (max is 12 divers) so we've still got room for you. Give us a call at 310/652-4990 to get signed up.

WEATHER FORECAST - No rain it looks like for at least a week. Yahoo!!!! Go sign up for a boat dive for next weekend. (But maybe Sunday so you can do Divers Day on Saturday.)

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom