Two hospitalized in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the information available, I believe:
The cause of the mishap was a heart attack. Whether that could have been foreseen - heart attacks often cannot - we don't know.
Buddy team integrity was lost. The mishap diver was solo when he had his debilitating event. Whether or not prompt rescue could have avoided death we don't know; what we do know is that if buddy team integrity had been maintained then prompt rescue would have at least been possible.
Gas management was poor to non-existent. This exacerbated the late rescue problem as the "buddy" didn't have enough reserve to bring the mishap diver up when he did find him.
If there was a good plan it wasn't followed... my bet is that there was no good plan at all to follow in the first place.
I fear that this dive profile may be far more typical of recreational diving today than any of us would like to admit; that many recreational divers already have most of the links in the accident chain already forged and joined when they hit the water, and the margin for error is shaved to the point where an event that would be no more than a "glitch" in a well planned and executed dive ends up being the final link to a mishap. In this particular incident (heart attack) having a good plan and a prompt rescue may not have saved him, but the existing plan and execution of the dive made his post heart attack demise near certainty.
Plan the dive; dive the plan.
Rick

Based on the information available, I believe:
The cause of the mishap was a heart attack. Whether that could have been foreseen - heart attacks often cannot - we don't know.
Rick

Do you have a source for this that has not been presented?

Do you have a source for this that has not been presented?

:w-t-f:

The original post says "one of them, in his fifties, was believed to have suffered a heart attack " and then Uncle Ricky says "... I believe:
The cause of the mishap was a heart attack..."

These are in 100% agreement.

I'm missing why one would think there is a not-presented source.

:w-t-f:

The original post says "one of them, in his fifties, was believed to have suffered a heart attack " and then Uncle Ricky says "... I believe:
The cause of the mishap was a heart attack..."

These are in 100% agreement.

I'm missing why one would think there is a not-presented source.

SO sorry, Think and believe are not fact! Trying to find wether heart attack has been cofirmed. There are many other reasons a person could be found unconcious on the bottom.

SO sorry, Think and believe are not fact! Trying to find wether heart attack has been cofirmed. There are many other reasons a person could be found unconcious on the bottom.

Both the OP's article and Rick claimed that they believed it was a heart attack. There is no need to cite a source as they are not stating it as fact.

both the op's article and rick claimed that they believed it was a heart attack. There is no need to cite a source as they are not stating it as fact.

thats why i was asking !!!! Just wanted to know if it was confirmed !!!!!! Not saying they had to post a source for their comments !!!!

Both the OP's article and Rick claimed that they believed it was a heart attack. There is no need to cite a source as they are not stating it as fact.

Particularly when the belief can be attributed to a news source (although it was clear that it was NOT an established fact). Uncle Ricky just agreed with what was posted in the news article, and went on to show the flaws in the planning (if the it can even be called "planing.")

Let's not get wrapped too far around the axle re:"heart attack" - let's just say "debilitating event" - the points about planning, buddy integrity and gas management are unchanged... for whatever reason, our mishap diver was solo when he became unresponsive. I happen to think it was most likely a heart attack, but as others have noted it could have been several other things.
Rick

"Heart attack" sure is a common thing these days... Seems odd how many of these heart attacks and "medicals" are also solo (or effectively solo).

Let's not get wrapped too far around the axle re:"heart attack" - let's just say "debilitating event" - the points about planning, buddy integrity and gas management are unchanged... for whatever reason, our mishap diver was solo when he became unresponsive. I happen to think it was most likely a heart attack, but as others have noted it could have been several other things.
Rick

Rick, I understand what you are saying but wondering why you think it was most likely a heart attack (besides OP origional article) Not trying to make a debate but just trying to see if you have picked up something from the article or articles that I have missed. Age, weight, previous medicle problems etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom