Two hospitalized in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I have to ask all y'all (that's proper plural for Southern speak) that say you would pick up your buddy from the floor of the ocean even if you were fresh OW . . . because it is the right thing to do.

Now . . . the victim was OUT of air, if we believe the story. The buddy was maybe OUT, definitely low. Do you really think the smart thing to do was to bring up the buddy, no matter what???? You panting and scared and stressed, and you can't use the buddy's inflator? Are you going to be clear-headed enough to blow into his inflator? Seriously?

Remember, the first rule is Do Not Make Another Victim.

Okay, I have to ask all y'all (that's proper plural for Southern speak) that say you would pick up your buddy from the floor of the ocean even if you were fresh OW . . . because it is the right thing to do.

Now . . . the victim was OUT of air, if we believe the story. The buddy was maybe OUT, definitely low. Do you really think the smart thing to do was to bring up the buddy, no matter what???? You panting and scared and stressed, and you can't use the buddy's inflator? Are you going to be clear-headed enough to blow into his inflator? Seriously?

Simply, yes. First of all, I wouldn't be low on air because I'm a bit religious about checking my gauges. Second, as I said, if at any point in the ascent I thought there was danger to myself, I would reconsider my actions. I've been involved in SAR far too long to allow myself to become a victim. Third, I simply don't panic in emergencies. I don't know why but I've never done so, even as a kid. I'm absolutely certain I'd at least attempt it and most likely get my buddy to the surface.

All that said, I'm still taking a rescue course once I have enough dives to qualify... which of course is a whole other thread why I need a lot of dives to take a rescue class.

I appreciate everyone's responses about why it might be more complicated than I think though as it has given me some scenarios to think about and how I would deal with those situations. Every little bit of education is a good thing.

If you and the buddy are truly out of gas, simply dropping everyones weights will make you go up up and away. That's a step in the right direction. Even a bit of a swim toward the surface will get air expanding in everyone's BCs and you'll be on your way. Best option? No. But it beats staying on the bottom.

And how does a heart attack victim run out of gas? The heart attack patients I've seen either a)have chest pain and go get help or b) have already stopped breathing. Tough to run out of gas if you aren't breathing... (possible to due reg freeflow, I get that. However I would venture a guess and say it's unlikely).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom