Two quick Ginnie-related questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all, let me start off by saying that I've never been to the High Springs area. I want to go, but all of the housing options I can find has me driving over an hour each way or camping, and then driving to get fills anyway.

The main question I have is because I was told by a local that he dives to p2800' on thirds on LP85's with no stages and no scooter. My experience is on the Mill Pond, and that much penetration is just not possibly. That's ~56 min penetration assuming 50fpm. Sanity check here, am I being lied to?

The other question is (I know, I'm sorry)....what dives to do first if I'm headed down there?

victor;

I just dove Ginnie this past weekend and i run a sac rate of about a .41 under normal diving (Ginnie ain't normal and we plan at .71 for Ginnie). With LP108s and an AL80 stage the 3 man dive team i was in penetrated 1100 feet into Ginnie with someone who know the system and where to get out of the flow. With a really good sac rate you might get that up to 1500ft.

As for places to stay, you can camp at Ginnie for $30 a day ( we did this weekend) or you can stay at either the country inn motel or the cadillac motel right in High Springs ($50+ a night). Cave Country Dive shop is right across the street from the Motel where they bank 30% EAN and the dinner is right next door to that for breakfast in the morning.

For dinner you have to hit the Great Outdoors Restaurants, the food is 5star and for lunch i recommend the Blue Moon at the end of the road from Ginnie right before heading back into town.

hope you find this helpful.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Ginnie and Peacock are both great options; I like to do both if I've got 3 or 4 days, a day or two at one then a day or two at the other. For Ginnie I usually stay at the High Country Inn -- not luxury accommodations, but not bad either. I own one set of tanks and rent a second so I don't have to drive back in to town between dives (they do fill at Ginnie but only air and no cave fills). Cave Country Dive Shop is right across the street from the motel, so that's convenient, and you can get any mix you want there. Ginnie is deeper, probably most dives average around 90', so that affects consumption too, that and the flow. Personally I'm not a great fan of either the diner or the Great Outdoors; I prefer Alice's for breakfast and Bev's Better Burgers for hamburger or BBQ.

I usually stay at Dive Outpost when at Peacock -- no real reason I go there instead of Cave Excursions, just do, and I've used both. If you stay in the bunkhouse it's $25/night (I go for one of the cabins for $50 so I can have my privacy and my own shower). Shared kitchen so you can cook your own dinner, and it's just 5 minutes away from the dive site, so fills aren't an issue. Fewer food options, although I like the sandwiches at the Luraville Country Store. I understand the BBQ place in Mayo shut down, but there's a decent Mexican restaurant there. Peacock is low/no flow and shallower, more like 40', so it's easy to get in nice long dives on small tanks; my last dive there was 93 minutes up the Waterhole tunnel with a pair of lp 85s and an al 80 stage with gas to spare.

Have fun!

Reactions: Jax
So, I have to say thanks to Kate. I just got a call from her explaining that Ginnie is only ~10min from dive shops and hotels, not the 60min I thought it was. I feel SO much better about my options!

Thanks, guys. I was told his SAC rate was hovering around 0.20 and instantly got skeptical. 56 minutes of penetration on BM LP85's to me means like 45ft average depth....especially for someone with good mass. Assuming 15ft/min flow out, p2800' means 80min of penetration. 2.5 hours at FL Cave depth on LP85's? It's just.....hard to believe.

So, accomodations are what I've found and what I expected. Is the same true with other caves in the area? Are the other caves "more" worth it?

My plan is to go with someone that is familiar with the area, but that isn't always possible as I get very little notice of when I'll be able to make it to caves.

I know one or two guys that dive ginnie that could make that dive.

No, I know two divers who dive OC who could make this dive. One of them for sure, one of them MAYBE.

So, I hate to be that guy....but how is lodging near Peacock? However, that's already sounding like the better site for me. JB flow is up and I'm already sick of it!

I've been staying in Lake City for 15 years. Good rates,clean room,and a lot of eating choices. The best part is you are equidistant from Peacock,LR and Ginnie.

Last time I was down there, I stayed at one of Jim Wyatt's houses. It wasn't expensive and the house was REALLY nice. There were two of us, but there was room for at least a couple more.

I have been told I have the SAC rate of an anorexic hamster, and no way could I get 2800 feet into Ginnie with my 85s. We did get a ways up the Hill 400 line the last time I dove there, but that was on 130s.

Last time I was down there, I stayed at one of Jim Wyatt's houses. It wasn't expensive and the house was REALLY nice. There were two of us, but there was room for at least a couple more.

I have been told I have the SAC rate of an anorexic hamster, and no way could I get 2800 feet into Ginnie with my 85s. We did get a ways up the Hill 400 line the last time I dove there, but that was on 130s.

I mean no offense here, but you don't cave dive much, and I'm guessing your dives in high flow caves like Ginnie are even more rare. For comparison... I can do the entire Double Lines circuit back to Hill 400 to Bats to Roller Coaster to Gold Line and back without a stage on LP85's. And that's with a .4ish SAC. The guy I'm referring to has about a .25 to .28 SAC

I mean no offense here, but you don't cave dive much, and I'm guessing your dives in high flow caves like Ginnie are even more rare. For comparison... I can do the entire Double Lines circuit back to Hill 400 to Bats to Roller Coaster to Gold Line and back without a stage on LP85's. And that's with a .4ish SAC. The guy I'm referring to has about a .25 to .28 SAC
I have done a similar dive on cave filled 104s, but that's apples and oranges comparing that dive to mainline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom