Two quick Ginnie-related questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are correct, but, .4 vs .25 is also apples to oranges. :)

You know they used to do races to the Henkel right? Swimming races. I laughed when a loud mouth told me about a guy HE claimed could swim to the Henkel in 43 minutes. Yeah, BS. My (then) scooter took 35 minutes to power to the Henkel, and loud mouth is telling me some guy can swim it in 43. What a load of crap.

So, two days later when I was with the guy who can supposedly swim to the Henkel in 43 minutes, I said, "hey dude, I got something funny to tell you. So and so was talking bs about you being able to swim to the Henkel in 43 minutes." He quickly countered with, "no, but I can do it in 41 minutes!". LOL... I guess I shouldn't impose my own limitations on someone else. I know this guy and if he says he can do it, I believe it. Oh, and this guy does it on LP104's (no stage bottle). And he is one of the two people I referenced earlier in this thread.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

I have done a similar dive on cave filled 104s, but that's apples and oranges comparing that dive to mainline.

If memory serves, I finished that dive with 2000psi. I was on the gold line before I hit thirds. It's one of my best sac rates in Ginnie for sure.

this thread is adorable. who can go farther on the smallest tanks in ginnie springs chest beating?

sheesh

I don't think it was any of that. Someone asked if something was possible. Several have chimed in on what they believed was or was not possible. I certainly didn't see any chest thumping, just info.

Some people just look for the negative in every post though, whether it exist or not I guess.

LOL... Ok

You are correct, but, .4 vs .25 is also apples to oranges. :)

You know they used to do races to the Henkel right? Swimming races. I laughed when a loud mouth told me about a guy HE claimed could swim to the Henkel in 43 minutes. Yeah, BS. My (then) scooter took 35 minutes to power to the Henkel, and loud mouth is telling me some guy can swim it in 43. What a load of crap.

So, two days later when I was with the guy who can supposedly swim to the Henkel in 43 minutes, I said, "hey dude, I got something funny to tell you. So and so was talking bs about you being able to swim to the Henkel in 43 minutes." He quickly countered with, "no, but I can do it in 41 minutes!". LOL... I guess I shouldn't impose my own limitations on someone else. I know this guy and if he says he can do it, I believe it. Oh, and this guy does it on LP104's (no stage bottle). And he is one of the two people I referenced earlier in this thread.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

If memory serves, I finished that dive with 2000psi. I was on the gold line before I hit thirds. It's one of my best sac rates in Ginnie for sure.
Yeah there are several people that do this dive,and tagged along once.
The key part of this is learning the cave and knowing how to swim. There are so many places that a person can go to get out of high flow,but you have to think ahead your next step to postion youself in the tunnel where you want to be. DPVs are great tools,but people become dependent on them such that their cave diving skills of swimming and reading the cave never develop or atrophy. Being very streamlined is important,so you dump the drysuit,and go wet,but with this amount of movement,you never miss it.

I am of the mentality that races to the Heinkel are counter productive goal driven dives,but keeping my swim skills and reading the cave skills sharp,make longer penetrations in flow good.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2013 at 06:15 AM ----------

this thread is adorable. who can go farther on the smallest tanks in ginnie springs chest beating?

sheesh

I agree.

Don't know many cave divers who died from too much air. If they died with gas in their tanks,then more likely a medical issue. I can make it to Olsen and back on lf72s,but would rather have more gas for issues,but conversely,I don't want overfilled 104s and stages. There is a theory that floats around about Parker Turner's fatality at Indian. I understand that he had an above average SAC rate,and chose small tanks because of this. The thought is if he had larger tanks,he may have made it out of Indian alive. Realize this is theory and speculation,but sometimes there is a grain of truth there.

I am of the mentality that races to the Heinkel are counter productive goal driven dives,but keeping my swim skills and reading the cave skills sharp,make longer penetrations in flow good.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2013 at 06:15 AM ----------

I am of the opinion that cave diving is not a competitive sport, but you'd never know it by reading this thread.

Swimming to 3000 feet against high flow in any time frame invites CO2 problems, racing there in 41 minutes :idk: reminds me of my dachshund peeing on a tree and my neighbors' dog peeing on it immediately afterwards. But, I think my dachshund is smarter than the cave diver in this instance.

sheesh

its easy when you start your dives with 5000 psi in your tanks..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom