Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Doobie Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In my quest for regulator knowledge I stumbled upon the two-stage progressive purge feature. I'm curious what the purpose of this feature is?

This is from Apeks' website:

• "The XTX purge buttons are large and easy to operate. A 2-stage progressive purge is used. Press the purge on the side for a lower flow rate, useful where more control is required such as filling lift bags etc, then press in the center for the full effect of the purge, i.e. when regulator clearing etc."

I don't know that I'll ever need to fill a lift bag. Are there other applications for this function? Can someone please explain to me the pros/cons of having this on a regulator? Seems to me having this on an octopus (or donated primary) could just confuse someone in an ooa situation who means to purge but only gets a half purge.

Seems to me having this on an octopus (or donated primary) could just confuse someone in an ooa situation who means to purge but only gets a half purge.

You only need a tiny puff of air to clear the water out of the second stage so a partial purge is no issue at all.

Sounds to me like a marketing spin after the cosmetic changes. IE they realized that pressing the purge off-center resulted in only a weak purge.

Sounds to me like a marketing spin after the cosmetic changes. IE they realized that pressing the purge off-center resulted in only a weak purge.

If you can't eliminate it, feature it.

Any (true?) purge can be gently depressed. (country songs does it for mine)

I'd not care about the feature one way or the other, unless it's more likely to jam up or wear excessively.

It doesn't take much air to purge a reg, I'd not worry in an OOG situation.

Cameron

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not too advanced, however, so I figured maybe I'm missing something...

Any other thoughts on why you would want this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom