Two tank Straps for BCD? Why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is NOT true at all from experience. In my last trip to Hurghada in February I took my SeaHawk 2 and an AL BP/W bc. I used the AL BP/W for the first 4 days and I later switched to the SP SeaHawk 2 bc and I had less lead with the SeaHawk BC, only 1kg less I think. I never went back to the AL BP/W for the following two weeks of diving. The SeaHawk was more comfortable, easier to put on and far easier to attach to the tank and just more convenient than a your BP/W. It dried very fast, never had complaints about this matter. It is very easy to pack and take much less space and very light. They Hydros Pro is about the same but little more bulky (I have the SP weight pockets on it and love them).
There is no way that a Seahawk is less buoyant than a BP/W.

Screenshot_20240508_070252_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240508_070342_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I have had a Sherwood bc with 2 straps both break at 60 feet. Never have had an issue with the single strap on my hydros.

With Scubapro BC's, you don't need a second BC tank band since the Scubapro BC Tank band is very secure and will be most difficult to open or have the tank drop. In addition, these two BC's have a tank valve strap that would help in retaining the tank should the main tank strap break (VERY unlikely event that has never happened to me or anyone I know in over 30 years of diving with SP BC's).

P.S. The SeaHawk 2 BC has 3 straps, the main Tank band, a Velcro narrower tank band and the Tank valve strap.

The SeaHawk was FAR easier to put on the tank and take it off using the SP cinch strap than a two tank band BC (cam bands). I don't want to deal with trying to attach a BC with two standard cam bands to a tank compared with one Scubapro BC tank strap.
Thanks for the info. To clarify the SeaHawk 2 has one standard cam band (metal) and then a more standard velcro strap as a back up PLUS the valve strap? This sounds like what I'm looking for. I know Scubapro bands are strong, but there's nothing like holding onto your BC and loose tank in an ocean to make you realize that two straps just are common sense.

What a nightmare! Been there holding onto a tank for dear life and troubleshooting the mess.
I have had a Sherwood bc with 2 straps both break at 60 feet. Never have had an issue with the single strap on my hydros.

First, you are showing a BP/W with STEEL plate not AL. Second, the Seahawk material, including padding, is made of non-floating material.
The BP/W posted could be AL or SS, no idea beyond the color. It looks brushed so that could be AL. If you removed the padding and pocket materials and placed them in water would they sink or float?

A BC, such as the Seahawk, is great for t-shirt diving. I'm not a fan of my BP/W diving it like that, though I'm fine once in the water. I prefer to have a vest on for using it.

Yeah…it’s the weight for travel I don’t want. They often do have two straps and that’s great but heavy AF for travel.
My BP/W rig has a steel plate and still weighs less than the Zeagle Ranger it replaced. It's also much more compact for travel.

Swapping on an AL plate would cut the weight by 4 pounds if that was a major concern.

Back
Top Bottom