Two Utila Questions- Quick ones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As far as tipping on the island... are US dollars accepted or should we plan to have local currency before we arrive. And what type of electric set up... is it the same as the US, or will we need to bring the convertor for charging batteries, etc. Thanks!

Most everywhere in the world accepts US cash, including Utila. If you do decide to get change - BE AWARE of the exchange rate. If you get change in limpiras from a purchase, check to see if it is correct, the rates vary a lot and some places take advantage of the tourists, more on Roatan than Utila.

All of the places I have seen on the island do have "standard" US voltage, so no adaptor/converter is necessary.

Enjoy your stay.

DSDO

Good advice. $1 = 19L is the exhange rate.

Not all that important, as was just stated. US Dollars work pretty much so everywhere.

Bring small bills. 1's, 5's and 10's. When I am vacationing for two weeks, I bring $100 in singles and fives.

There is a "locals" price, then there's a tourist price. This is especially true in regards to the price of beer. One can largely overcome that 'special price' obstacle by shopping for such items at the local grocery.

Some items, such as tanks of compressed air placed on a dive boat for your use are only available at dive shops, if you get where I'm going with this. In most cases, to get the locals price, you have to be a local.

Even at 'full boat' prices, Utila can be quite a good deal.

Hi booth22,

Dollars are accepted most everywhere on Utila, although as mentioned it may be beneficial to trade to local currency before shopping. Several of the stores, especially groceries etc, have their exchange rate posted right outside or at the counter, so just check before you shop. Pretty much standard right now is 18.95 - 19.0 to the $1.

Electric is the same cycles as the US, so no converter is necessary.... but... if you'll be charging cameras, laptops or other electronic devices, you may want to bring a small surge protector. I've found them helpful whenever traveling to an area where power is supplied by generators. Better safe then sorry, cause it ain't easy to find replacements on an island.

Hope the info helps. Enjoy your stay in Utila, its a fantastic little jewel of an island!

UTLgirl:
Hope the info helps. Enjoy your stay in Utila, its a fantastic little jewel of an island!

This from someone who has not just gotten by with her good looks! :crazy3:

Be sure to locate her once you make landfall.

thanks for the info everyone!

booth22:
As far as tipping on the island... are US dollars accepted or should we plan to have local currency before we arrive. And what type of electric set up... is it the same as the US, or will we need to bring the convertor for charging batteries, etc. Thanks!

Take your $$$'s or traveler's checks to Henderson's Grocery. Archie will exchange either for Limpiras at the best rate.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom