Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies for reviving a zombie thread, but I recently was in Warsaw, Poland, where taxis and Uber have found a novel (to me, anyway) way to coexist. Cabs and Uber vehicles are the same cars and drivers; you can book them through the Uber app or hail them on the street.

In reality, if you're driving a cab, why not work for Uber also?

The bad thing about Uber in a taxi regulated area is the huge devaluation of the taxi medallion - NYC, how many taxi drivers stepped of the roof over the massive debt they had with little value once Uber was legal?

I think I heard a taxi plaque here in Cozumel is like 50k usd - I like the idea of compitition but also think it's BS that the value of something that someone paid for is just wacked in half or more.

My apologies for reviving a zombie thread, but I recently was in Warsaw, Poland, where taxis and Uber have found a novel (to me, anyway) way to coexist. Cabs and Uber vehicles are the same cars and drivers; you can book them through the Uber app or hail them on the street.

I'm planning a trip to Israel and it's the same there. Uber was banned in 2016 then came back a few years ago under an arrangement where they are using the licensed taxis. I think that's their model for places where they are restricted from the freelance driver model. You end up in the same street taxi, probably pay the same rate, but get the convenience of ordering and paying on the app.

I like the idea of compitition but also think it's BS that the value of something that someone paid for is just wacked in half or more.
I don't agree that competition is necessarily a good thing; if an organized entity, like Uber, were to muscle their way into an established marketplace, like the Cozumel taxi system, and drive existing drivers into bankruptcy, it's not a good thing, even if it were to save tourists a few pesos on rides. Some sort of symbiosis is a far better arrangement. In Warsaw, Uber is merely another way of booking a ride.

I'm planning a trip to Israel and it's the same there. Uber was banned in 2016 then came back a few years ago under an arrangement where they are using the licensed taxis. I think that's their model for places where they are restricted from the freelance driver model. You end up in the same street taxi, probably pay the same rate, but get the convenience of ordering and paying on the app.

You want to use GETT in Israel. Set it up before you get there. Yes, same drivers as regular cabs. Don’t expect similar rules as here. Also can be challenging getting a car. You’ll see…

I think I heard a taxi plaque here in Cozumel is like 50k usd - I like the idea of compitition but also think it's BS that the value of something that someone paid for is just wacked in half or more.
The real question should be: Why does a taxi plaque cost $50K? That seems like monopolistic rent seeking by the government, they certainly don't add 50K of value.

The real question should be: Why does a taxi plaque cost $50K? That seems like monopolistic rent seeking by the government, they certainly don't add 50K of value.
I dunno; what does a Cozumel taxi typically make in a day? Plenty of guys on Cozumel think that a taxi medallion is worth the expense, and many of them sublet their cars when they are off duty.

I think charter boat licenses are as much or more.

I dunno; what does a Cozumel taxi typically make in a day? Plenty of guys on Cozumel think that a taxi medallion is worth the expense, and many of them sublet their cars when they are off duty.
Lots of taxi drivers make more in commissions taking people to beach clubs than they do on fares. Some taxi drivers make $500 USD a day just by doing that if they are owners. I doubt taxi licences are $50k. Maybe if it includes a new van. My wife is cashier at Carlos and Charlie's and she told me what some taxi drivers are getting paid in commissions. Lots of taxis are subletted to drivers. So say the taxi driver takes your group to a beach club. The taxi owner gets x dollars for commission and then pays the taxi driver like 20 percent of the commission. TOTAL win for taxi owner and small gain for driver. Its quite a racket thats for sure.

I think charter boat licenses are as much or more.
When the marine park permits were originally issued they were cheap. Now it's all about what one will.pay for them. The prices range anywhere from $3k - $10k per permit. So say you want to be legal boat and want to buy a permitted boat from someone, and that boat has 8 permits on it. You might pay anywhere from $24k - 80k plus boat price. It's not a cheap endeavour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom