Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question should be: Why does a taxi plaque cost $50K? That seems like monopolistic rent seeking by the government, they certainly don't add 50K of value.

Taxi plaques are not unlimited - there are only so many. I have seen them release 20 more but how long do you think someone was waiting for the chance to get one? Supply and demand - same with marine park permits and 3k per permit might have been ten or more years ago - triple that today and then some.

A lot of the drivers do not own the plaque, they rent it from someone. The former president here, Pedro, I'm told has ten or so plaques - he ain't driving a taxi jajajajaja

I looked at getting a few taxis, was told by many people one million pesos for the plaque - I know someone that has two. The new moto taxis, now that the gunshots and fires have stopped is another one - I spent two weeks chasing info about that, very complicated with a very high risk reward..... No thanks

Look at the shuttles now at the airport, why three shuttle companies?? Crazy really - they all three have the same prices. Ferry boats, pricing nearly identical, today the new companies boat arrived. Maybe it gives the false illusion about competitive pricing....

What you describe in Warsaw is an ideal solution - allows the look of compitition and makes it easier to get a "taxi" - they go weeks without answering the phone at the taxi base or even their Facebook messanger.

It’s almost like, “gasp”, a liquor license.

What you describe in Warsaw is an ideal solution - allows the look of compitition and makes it easier to get a "taxi" - they go weeks without answering the phone at the taxi base or even their Facebook messanger.
The ride cars in Warsaw have Uber paint jobs / decals and taxi lights on top. Several times when we were getting out of our Uber ride to the hotel, someone came up and hailed the same car as a taxi.

I dunno; what does a Cozumel taxi typically make in a day? Plenty of guys on Cozumel think that a taxi medallion is worth the expense, and many of them sublet their cars when they are off duty.
Just because it is "worth it" doesn't mean it is right. What value other than anti-competitiveness does it add.

In fact, from an "is it worth it" perspective, they might like it even higher. If it was $100k there might be less competitors, and therefore even higher and more profitable fares. So the ones that had a medallion would still think it was worth it. This is a variation on regulatory capture. The big players can keep the little players from competing, so they don't have to be as good.

Look at the shuttles now at the airport, why three shuttle companies?? Crazy really - they all three have the same prices. Ferry boats, pricing nearly identical, today the new companies boat arrived. Maybe it gives the false illusion about competitive pricing....

Simple. The people in power have many friends to take care of. Gotta divvy it up. You get a shuttle... and you get a shuttle... and you get a shuttle.

Just because it is "worth it" doesn't mean it is right. What value other than anti-competitiveness does it add.

In fact, from an "is it worth it" perspective, they might like it even higher. If it was $100k there might be less competitors, and therefore even higher and more profitable fares. So the ones that had a medallion would still think it was worth it. This is a variation on regulatory capture. The big players can keep the little players from competing, so they don't have to be as good.
Just because it is expensive doesn't make it wrong, either. Personally, I do not stand in judgement on a system about which I know very little and which exists in a country and culture which isn't mine.

BTW, Uber isn't a little player. Far from it.

Also BTW, here in the US try buying yourself a truck and going into competition with the Teamsters' Union as a little player and see how far you get. :D

Also BTW, here in the US try buying yourself a truck and going into competition with the Teamsters' Union as a little player and see how far you get. :D

Try buying a car (that’s not a Tesla) in the US without a dealer. Talk about useless rip-off vestige with oligopolistic power. 🤮

Reactions: L13
Try buying a car (that’s not a Tesla) in the US without a dealer. Talk about useless rip-off vestige with oligopolistic power. 🤮
Or buy a used car. I have never bought a new car and probably never will.

Just because it is expensive doesn't make it wrong, either. Personally, I do not stand in judgement on a system about which I know very little and which exists in a country and culture which isn't mine.

BTW, Uber isn't a little player. Far from it.

The Uber driver is a little guy. And all the non-Uber, non-medalion taxi drivers are also shut out by the current system.

The US has the same problem in many areas. I wasn't judging Mexico, I don't like regulatory capture or monopolistic behavior anywhere, but especially in the US since it is my home.

The Uber driver is a little guy. And all the non-Uber, non-medalion taxi drivers are also shut out by the current system.
The Uber driver is a little guy and so is the cab driver. The taxi union is not a little guy and neither is Uber.

Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom