Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Uber comes to the island and starts muscling taxi drivers out of their jobs
I would want to watch the conflicts from a thousand miles away. Some drivers have been reported to be somewhat militant.

Reactions: JFS
It wouldn't make much economic difference for me; I fly direct to Cozumel and use taxis to get around. Taxis on the island are not a significant factor in my overall expenditure for the trip.
^^^This^^^

I’m not sure I wouldn’t be concerned about what might pull up as an Uber. Lots of ingenuity on display in Coz. No, I’m not riding behind the very nice gentleman selling churros from his bike even if he has an Uber sticker and a smartphone. :no:

Another fine example of journalism, wonder what they are protesting about this time?
It was about allowing other businesses to compete for transport. Taxi union in Cozumel does not want anyone else doing transport. Look how they went after the moto taxis that were supplying service to the locals that the taxis did not want anything to do with. Now they have specific taxis set up to service the locals and there is a lot more moto taxis......

It was about allowing other businesses to compete for transport. Taxi union in Cozumel does not want anyone else doing transport.
Well, of course it doesn't. Unions everywhere strive to protect the revenue streams that feed their members and upon which they depend for their existence. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon whom you ask.

Well, of course it doesn't. Unions everywhere strive to protect the revenue streams that feed their members and upon which they depend for their existence. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon whom you ask.
It is a good and bad thing. When the monopoly power on labor exceeds the monopoly power on jobs, it is bad for everyone but its members. When the monopoly power on jobs exceed the monopoly power on labor, they are good for the members, but bad for the job providers, and slightly good for everyone else.

The ideal is balanced, particularly the ideal is when neither jobs or labor are monopolized, and both are in a free market. But this breaks down as soon as any single employer has increasingly more employees. The next best thing is when the power of labor and the companies are in balance.

That is why the taxis are getting away with ripping off tourists and locals, no competition.

It is a good and bad thing.
Yes; as I said, it depends on whom you ask.
That is why the taxis are getting away with ripping off tourists and locals, no competition.
Personally, I do not feel at all "ripped off" by the taxis on Cozumel. Cozumel taxis are cheaper than taxis, Uber, or Lyft here in Austin. I go everywhere I need to go on Cozumel in taxis, and the money I spend doing it isn't much of a factor in my budgeting for the trip. If the price of transportation on the island were to be suddenly cut in half, it would not move the needle for me.

I'll just add that anyone who insists on paying Cozumel taxistas in US$ rather than in pesos is ripping himself off.

Yes; as I said, it depends on whom you ask.
My point was that good or bad doesn't depend on who you ask, but rather on what the balance of power is.

Otherwise, it is like saying that murder is good or bad depending on who you ask, because the murderer thinks it is good for him.

Concentrated power gets abused, especially when it isn't at least countered by equal power on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom