UE hydro issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Took some tanks to get Vis and filled that are Hydro'd 9/21 with a UE. The Dive shop that is new to me said they are not allowed to fill these as of 11/22.

Do to some medical issues I did not dive last year so this was news to me?

Is this a California or USA thing or just unique to this dive shop?

This would really suck as I have over 9 tanks Hydro'd this way as of 9/21

Took some tanks to get Vis and filled that are Hydro'd 9/21 with a UE. The Dive shop that is new to me said they are not allowed to fill these as of 11/22.

Do to some medical issues I did not dive last year so this was news to me?

Is this a California or USA thing or just unique to this dive shop?

This would really suck as I have over 9 tanks Hydro'd this way as of 9/21

UE is not a hydrostatic test, it is an ultrasound examination of the cylinder. While the DOT accepts UE for gas cylinders, it has not been adopted as a part of industry standards for the SCUBA industry. There are some ScubaBoard discussions that date back at least to 2014, so this is not something new...but yet it has not caught on gained any popularity within the industry.

Was there a particular reason you opted to your cylinders UE tested instead of a standard hydrostatic test?

My recommendation is to call around to the shops that do fills in your area and ask if any accept them, if you find one that does then bob's your uncle. If you don't then you can also check and see if the local fire house is familiar with the UE standard and if they will fill your cylinders as needed...if none of the above works out for you then you will just need to shell out the cash to have your cylinders hydrostatically tested.

Good luck.

-Z

I had the shop just Hydro them and they came back with these on them. I assumed the dive shop asked the hydro shop for hydro. The owner of the shop has passed on and I am not able to go back and address the issue. Guess I'm out 9 x 40!

I have a great shop about 90 mins away I have not checked with... haven't been there since April 22 but was hoping the "new" to me shop that is 30 mins away would be cool with it.

either way thanks for the heads up

What are the cylinders? Steel or aluminum? If Aluminum, what alloy? 6351 or 6061? Who made them and what was the first (manufacturer) hydro date? DOT spec (3aa, 3al) or a DOT Permit? UN/ISO?

Even the old 6351 tanks are usable if properly tested and certified (DOT requirements include VE testing at hydro, many VIP programs will require annually.) It can get bothersome, but they can be qualified. Many shops just draw a line in the sand at some point and won't because they can't be bothered to actually KNOW what the standards are.

My local shops typically will not hydro any aluminum tank made prior to 1990. This is a factor because the fire extinguisher business that does all they hydro testing for them drew that line at 1990. There's another industrial cylinder shop across on the other far side of town that actually DOES know their stuff and have no problem testing them. They just cost twice as much for hydro and are open wonky hours. Thus why the local shops use the fire extinguisher place ($20 vs $40 service cost.

(Catalina was NEVER 6351, Lux and Cliff Impact and Walter Kidde were, up to a point in the late 80s or 1990. But we don't know, from what's been described, if that's the issue so knowing more will help.)

2 of them are the old luxfers that were manufactured in 86 but I use those in my shop to move air around.. no big deal. Sadly these are the nicest, cleanest tanks in my shop but I have only one place I can fill these so I use them for garage air.

On the other hand... I have 6 steels and 2 AL all within the specs for legit tanks. I'm going to guess and say that the "hydro" shop just took the easy route and did the UE as im guessing its faster? easier? then the other option. Lesson learned.

Unless it's a California thing, they likely just need a new hydrotest when due (except for the old Lux bottles). I know it's hard to believe, but sometimes you'll find a fill station operator that will not know what the frack they are talking about. When I got started, I'd ask the same question of 3 shops and get 6 different answers. I'd push for more background. There's not federal requirement for for fill station operator training (outside of the hazmat component) so a lot couldn't even tell you what they're looking for when they do a VIP inspection, much less a tank fill and so there is a lot of hand-me-down misinformation floating about. It's their compressor and fill operator, so in a lot of cases that's what you get stuck with.

Some hydro shops don't always know what they're doing (not sayin' who) and if they have the equipment they use it because that's what Rick showed them before they left (depending on the quality of their training and what they spend most of their time testing (probably NOT scuba cylinders)) .... I've seen tanks with the UE and VE marks that didn't need that (that's in addition to the hydro - I don't think VE or UE testing will measure the flexibility and resiliency of the metal and that's what hydro is testing).

So, the hydro is really what's required and having them hydroed should be no problem.

However, the old '86 Lux Al bottles are not really serviceable in many locations because of the ongoing extra testing required (not a gumment reg - usually a fill or test shop standard might adopt hard-date cutoffs). I have an 87 Luxfer (cherry condition - actually cherry red, unused pretty much, bright, clean shiny insides, no visible cracks, one hydro subsequent to manufacture done in 1996. It's really pretty and I would have no hesitation to use it for diving if it was properly hydro tested (with VE) and subsequent VIPS with VE - but that gets expensive. I bought it and gave it a new job as a valve-holding fixture for rebuilding valves (hard to hand-hold a valve for torquing the packing assembly on the stem or the burst disk - the old tank will do fine in that role.).

It's not about nice and clean. The 6351 alloy had, IIRC, almost 4x the amount of lead than 6061 (not lead poisoning risk like eating paint chips, but if you ate a scuba tank I think you'd have other issues to worry with). A few of the 6351 tanks did develop cracks in the shoulders and necks over time just holding pressure. On fill, primarily, some could/did rupture. People were killed or permanently maimed (like losing limbs or eyesight).

So, it's not so much in diving that the problem of sustained load cracking (SLC) in the shoulders and threads becomes dangerous or deadly (but could, I suppose happen in the right set of circumstances). It is in the filling process that tanks have tended to blow up with the force of a hand grenade (Just for reference I once figured the internal surface area of an S80 aluminum tank and when you put 3,000 lbs of pressure on each of the internal square inches, the total stored force, IIRC, exceeded 1,000,000 pounds).

So if using a scuba or paintball compressor or are using a whip to transfer gas to them from other scuba, it's filling and moving gas around the shop is where I'd worry most about them and make sure they were up to tested spec. But that's me ...

If your other tanks are getting close to their hydro deadline, just have them hydro tested (hint: the dive shop may not be the best place). Call around to some industrial gas or fire extinguisher service companies in your area. The DOT has a searchable index of RIN holders by area. May be better flexibility in finding one.

Type in your location and the radius you wish to search. It will put them on a map. You will probably need to find one that will do scuba tanks - not all will - and it will show folks that are not really hydrotesters too so there's still a little leg work involved, but it may beat a long commute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom