UEMIS battery replacement - cont.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 more awaken from the dead today. Couple of the things I noticed today was that 1 of the units the battery actually got flooded. Luckily when they built these the circuit board is pretty safe from water intrusion. On the other, the positive terminal of the battery had just cracked apart. When jumping from battery to board the unit awakened. Unfortunately there isn't enough battery lead to rework it, but the new batteries we're using are bigger and seem to be lasting folks longer anyways.

Mine just died on me. The soft hissing coming from the device indicated battery failure. Upon inspection the battery had expanded, and was wet. It's unclear which caused which, but the resin was obviously cracked. It could be that the battery threw a fit, expanded (seen that happen before with recharchables) then cracked the seal, or the seal crack, shorting the battery and causing the battery to swell. Either way, going so see what I can salvage.

Liberated the old battery, definitely swollen. Looking back, my first failure in 2010 was also a complete failure, and was due to the battery dying due to a faulty charching circuit (according to Uemis at the time). This makes sense, this technology is very sensitive to that. Question is, of course, if this means that a new lipo cell will eventually fry as well.

Also considering using Shoogoo or similar as sealant.

Last edited:
HIi Ijdod, I had exacly the same problem with mine, swollen battery. I'm sending it back to uemis for repair. We'll know soon if it's just a battery faillure or if the crack in the seal has damaged anything else.

Battery successfully replaced, the unit is alive again. Sealed it with shoe goo, now letting it settle for a couple of days, then a diving test.

Main question for is: do I trust it enough to take on holiday :p

Did two fairly long and deep dives today, the SDA worked as expected. Shoegoo works beautifully, but takes forever to cure (think 2-3 weeks).

Hello,
I relaunch this old subject because the UEMIS of a friend does not light anymore. So I followed the procedure described on facebook and installed a new Lipo 900mA battery. Miracle, the UEMIS is working again.
One detail, however, defeats this prowess: It refuses to take charge!
No computer or charger detection! The only load that seems to work is the solar panel built into the UEMIS.
Do you think that this could come from the charge protection circuit in the watertight compartment?
If yes, is there an equivalent circuit?
According to my friend, the computer was hot during his last attempt to recharge, before it finally goes out !

Thank you for your help
Stephane

Hello,
I relaunch this old subject because the UEMIS of a friend does not light anymore. So I followed the procedure described on facebook and installed a new Lipo 900mA battery. Miracle, the UEMIS is working again.
One detail, however, defeats this prowess: It refuses to take charge!
No computer or charger detection! The only load that seems to work is the solar panel built into the UEMIS.
Do you think that this could come from the charge protection circuit in the watertight compartment?
If yes, is there an equivalent circuit?
According to my friend, the computer was hot during his last attempt to recharge, before it finally goes out !

Thank you for your help
Stephane
Stephane there is still hope for your friends computer; the Uemis computer is fairly robust as long as the case doesn't have to be opened for the wires as they get brittle where they enter the case. one or more of 3 things could be going on; 1) the gel/expoxy isn't dielectric and/or 2) the most probable is the voltage regulator has gone bad or 3) the snap-on charging adapter has failed. In most cases all of these can be resolved once you isolate the issue.

Thank you for this quick response.
We can already remove the first point because I have not yet put gel / epoxy for waterproofing. So the second and third point. How to isolate the problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom