Uemis closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One factor of their demise could have been all the belly-aching about a trimix algorithim addition. I would be curious to know how many the unit's owners are trimix certified. I am guessing very low. I am equally perplexed by the UWATEC threads on the same issue. Both are rec. computers. Get over it...

seems there are a few SDA's on ebay, what a shock !!!!!

Just been on a great dive using my Uemis,won't be selling mine just hope some other company swallow them up and put some money in for development.

I met Ernst and I consider him very professional.

We have a sample of the Zurich and I consider it an interesting product pushing the envelop.
I also liked the "built-in Internet approach", but, I am somehow surprised that - according to what I am reading here - their business model did not follow their technological implementation.

I sensed that something was going wrong earlier this year when a proposed business deal did not materialize .... and I got confirmation 2 weeks ago from an European friend :depressed:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

One factor of their demise could have been all the belly-aching about a trimix algorithim addition. I would be curious to know how many the unit's owners are trimix certified. I am guessing very low. I am equally perplexed by the UWATEC threads on the same issue. Both are rec. computers. Get over it...
Are you out of your mind??? Blaming people for requesting what they were promised and paid for? Have you ever heared about "False advertising"? Read this: False advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It does not matter how many people are "trimix certified". It matters how many were overchaged for defective units and left without support.

They had logging software that was strictly done online.

Never spend money on a product that requires an online component unless you are willing to write off your investment.

Companies go out of business. In the process they can and do leave you without use of the product you paid for, or without access to your data. I don't understand people who pay good money for anything with DRM that needs to phone home, or who rush to use cloud services. It is a great *business* model, but a lousy *consumer* model.

My 2 cents.

I agree, it would be a pity if such a great computer, with so much potential for new features, is really discontinued.
But if it is, I really wish that UEMIS do something for the community/people who put their trust and hope in the SDA: release software to export our dives is a minimum, but we could dream of having the code source of the firmware being released so people could keep developping it (ok, I am perhaps being a bit utopic here....)

If they are in liquidation, they no longer *own* that code - it now belongs to the creditors. Those creditors have no percentage in giving anything away. If someone buys the rights, they are almost certain to charge for them - no other way it makes sense to pay for them. Or they could be sat upon. |Free release is unlikely.

Now the question is how misleading the latest trimix update was. Considering they closed 13 days after the update I find it highly unlikely that they were telling the truth about pending trimix update.

Worker bees are the last to know.

Management doesn't go around and tell worker bees that they are scrambling to find a way to stay afloat. They only start talking when they fail. There are good reasons for this. Chances are that if they said the update was pending, it was.

Your probably right in the update being misleading, you dont find yourself in bankruptcy over night. As for not investing in anything that requires online functionality, thats a pretty good point to consider. Another note might be to carefully look at the infrastructure of how the product is brought to market, the ability to support the product, as well as the ability of the local distribution channel to stand behind the product in the unlikely event the small manufacturer does exactly what Uemis did.

I think, everything in the UEMIS will be for sale now, even if technology..

The seller, I assume the court, is putting together all of the info of what is for sale so someone can make an offer. They are going to get that to me as soon as they have it available. I wouldn't say EVERYTHING is for sale.....it depends on what the court knows, finds, and acquires.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom