Uemis closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not going to get into it here, but your involved a little more than that :wink: Not that it matters, I don't blame you. You as Seaduction may have nothing to do with UEMIS, but you as Bill at TDE works for the distributor, and I think is also an investor. Again, doesn't matter.

Your industry rant about the internet is the problem...."...Everyone else should understand the internet/bitching comment was a generic industry rant" Not you in general, but read your statement. It's an industry rant. That is the problem. Too many people that don't get it in the Industry, yet they are the same ones wondering why they are going broke and going out of business yet they have the audacity to tell me I'm doing things wrong and hurting the industry. We create divers, sell gear worldwide, educate divers, and a whole lot more. We don't just sell online...it's the whole package. We support the industry more than most instead of just taking from it like alot of people in the industry. Time for the Industry to turn over and get replaced so the New Dive Industry can grow and evolve!

Either way, I'm not going to turn it into a different thread. UEMIS is gone, someone is going to buy it, I LOVE my Zurich, I LOVE the internet, I LOVE diving, and I'm going out on our dive boat now :D

Dive Right In Scuba - Sports/Recreation/Activities - Plainfield, IL | Facebook

Happy Fourth!!!

I just want to say that I got more and better service from Mike at DRIS than I did from my local shop. Mike spent over an hour with me on the phone going over everything with the computer and even more time after I got the computer in the mail. I agree with Mike that times have changed, and as savvy consumers, we want the best deal and service. There is a way to provide both the way that Mike supports his customers. The industry should adapt to changing times.

There is always a way to find out 2.4 inch OLED and adapt it into new UEMIS hardware, however, from some experts especially having a business in decompression algorithms and dive computers state that UEMIS was too late to realize the Trimix Software, otherwise, they would go into bankruptcy and warned to me, years ago, becasue it was no sense to pay a computer more than $1500 for just Air or Nitrox. There are more in the market less then $400, even second hand..

Especially, the reason for buying UEMIS for me was trimix function - which will be never available at that moment -

I wish, UEMIS had realised some hardware specifications - for instance, battery type, manufacturer etc.. such that we can support for a while till someone get the company or continue to support it..

I've contacted the court, they stated that they will preparing a list of everything to gather offers, EVERYTING!

I hope someone could continue this business or founders of UEMIS could find a way..

Haven't seen a Color, Air Integrated computer anywhere even close to $400.....let alone another computer that even comes close to having the same amount of information available to the diver that the UEMIS did. If you don't have one, you don't really know it's capabilities. The people here talking about their computer aren't your newbie, uneducated divers that would have gotten SUCKERED into spending that much if there was a cheaper alternative. This thing does MUCH more than every other computer on the market...yes, it doesn't do Trimix, but again, not many computers out there do.....it does a whole lot of other things though :wink: If you have one, not sure if you do, then you know what I am talking about. Hell, I think I could tell the thing I peed in my wetsuit if I wanted and it would calculate something for it :eyebrow:

I've one and I know the capabilities of UEMIS well. I'm not talking about having full color dive computer less than $400, I said that you can find a suunto zoop for instance having RGBM algorithm less than $400, even if in ebay, that give you reasonable results during diving.

If you pay for a device like UEMIS, you are expecting more. Having a full user-friendly interface or colorfull screen does not bring more when calculating your no-deco time or deep-stops.. Most of the computer in the market do that. For some - DIR Divers for instance - there is a list why it is not recommended to use diving computers for diving.

For DAN, it is always stated that - also it is true for manufacturers - never beleive in dive computers, they do not protect you from DCI.

Anyway, having a dive computer or not, diver's choice, on the other hand,

I've 3 dive-computer - UEMIS SDA, Suunto Vyper AIR and Uwatec Aladin, all having different algorithms - Buhlmann ZH-16C, RGBM and Adaptive ZH-8. They are all having a different hardware, however, in theory, they aimed to help you for a safe-dive.

UEMIS did this more further, that's why it is called a Scuba Diving Assistant. The only thing I wish, they had realized Trimix earlier before going into bankruptcy..

UEMIS was the first SDA and best user-friendly , colorfull computer and I beleive that most of the manufacturer will follow them..

To me, the SDA has possibly several years of advance in terms of concept in regards to other computers. Lots of options, a super nice and ergonomic screen with the right amount of info at the right time... The communication between computers is also something that could have been developed (the hardware is able to do that) such as sending short messages. I am pretty sure that this computer has drawn the line of what the computers will be in 5 years. Diving with that computer is a very cool experience.

It's a sad thing UEMIS went bankrupt because there's for sure a community of people who love those units.

For those who are interested, the discontinuation of the CMEL 2.4" active matrix OLED (Summer-2010) was a major blow to the dive computer industry. As all OEM active matrix OLED's were discontinued at the same time, THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS PLANNED. Anyone who thinks that there are a 'bunch' of OLED's that you could just 'adapt' into a product, you are gravely mistaken. We had a design built around the 2.4" AMOLED and had to scrap it in the final stages of testing because of the discontinuation. Currently the only way to get an active matrix OLED is from Kodak or Sony, except they will not sell them anymore to OEM manufacturers. Smaller passive matrix displays are still in production, which is why we built our products around them instead. Atomics had to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy enough 2.4" AMOLEDs to keep the Cobalt in production, since no other display can be used as a replacement. The only other option is to use a color LCD, which drains tons of power.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

So basically you are telling us that for now, there won't be anymore development in "widescreen" OLED dive computers until someone develop a new 2.4" OLED for the OEM market.... Scarry.

So basically you are telling us that for now, there won't be anymore development in "widescreen" OLED dive computers until someone develop a new 2.4" OLED for the OEM market.... Scarry.

They're still available, another brand but similar specs...

Buy OLED Displays OLED,240x320,RGB,2.4 inch,active matrix Bolymin BL024ACRNB$ online from RS for next day delivery.

or how about a 4.3" screen with HD resolution?

Buy OLED Displays OLED,128 x 128,RGB,DC/DC incl Bolymin BL128128C2CRNHn$ online from RS for next day delivery.

There is always a way to find out 2.4 inch OLED and adapt it into new UEMIS hardware, however, from some experts especially having a business in decompression algorithms and dive computers state that UEMIS was too late to realize the Trimix Software, otherwise, they would go into bankruptcy and warned to me, years ago, becasue it was no sense to pay a computer more than $1500 for just Air or Nitrox. There are more in the market less then $400, even second hand..

Especially, the reason for buying UEMIS for me was trimix function - which will be never available at that moment - I wish, UEMIS had realised some hardware specifications - for instance, battery type, manufacturer etc.. such that we can support for a while till someone get the company or continue to support it..

I've contacted the court, they stated that they will preparing a list of everything to gather offers, EVERYTING!

I hope someone could continue this business or founders of UEMIS could find a way..

Just curious, what led you to select the UEMIS over the X1 or Shearwater Predator?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom